Which Is better R50 or WD21

4doordrift

:rofl: already on this one, expect a lot of praise for each truck by their respected owners.

I'll start with a simple one: wd21-full frame/r50-unibody (hence the term "caR50")

Bake 'er from there toys!

:rofl: already on this one, expect a lot of praise for each truck by their respected owners.

I'll start with a simple one: wd21-full frame/r50-unibody (hence the term "caR50")

Bake 'er from there toys!

im interested to hear :)

MX-5 ... duh?

Image0338.jpg

:D

I "Would" say with out a doubt WD21, but I've seen pic's of Pezzy's R50 in some strange places, so props to that.

WD's do have the full frame so bars, hooks and skids are a more easy task to fit.

If you want something to abuse, and cope with it, get a WD

If you want the odd trip off road, but with comfort, get a R50.

+1 on the frame rusting. I just found a hole above my rear axle. FFFFfffffuuuuuuuuuuuu :tired:

But yeah, as with everything, depends on what you want it for. I'd rather take a long trip in an R50, but I'd rather have my WD for logging roads (preferably with a good fishing lake at the end).

Edited by Slartibartfast

I dunno, I thought my wd21 was great on long trips. Sure the r50 is smoother and stuff but personally I find its seat bolsters are too high up. As someone who maintains one of each I find the parts are really close in price.

Im interested to hear pro's and con's. Which has better capability on and off road. which is a better base?

Oh boy... we might as well burn down the forum now, while we're ahead.

• Like 1

I find it quite easy. :D They knew it would be driven in salted areas. And they designed the frame stupidly. Some days I marvel at how well my Pathy works... then I try to work on it and wonder what the designers were smoking. (That said, they were only made to last so long.)

I bought a WD21 for the size, simplicity, styling, and the fact one can fit a 4x8' sheet in the back flat on the floor(hatch open). That qualified it to me as a real SUV. I don't know if an R50 can do that or not. It was only later I learned of its off-road capabilities. Frame rust is an issue, but with the frame rust repair kits now available, even that isn't too much of a big deal any more.

WD21 all the way!

Rot issues on either style honestly if you think about it ain't a good arguing point. Yes wd21s got frame rot and r50s have strut tower rot. The newest r50 is still a what, 8 year old truck? And a wd21 what 16? Between the way roads are maintained (I.e. Salt), states with no annual safty inspections (even ones with in reality), and the fact that people like the majority of this site that maintain and care for their own stuff, our kind is the minority... I'm suprised there's ANY 5+ year old vechiles on the road at all!

• Like 1