Exhaust system specs

moto-m

I have read through other topics about exhaust for the R50 but am still unclear as to the best way to go. I am looking at deleting the resonator and installing a performance muffler with a single outlet. I am thinking about using as much of the stock tubing from the cats so I don't lose torque. Would it make sense to just cut off the exhaust from righ before the muffler, put in the performance one, then run it to the back? What size inlet/outlet should I use?

You want the single combined pipe to be no more than 2.5". I would even run 2.25. These are not made for great top end (although this can be had). What muffler are you getting?

You want the single combined pipe to be no more than 2.5". I would even run 2.25. These are not made for great top end (although this can be had). What muffler are you getting?

Not sure yet but I was thinking magnaflow. Should I get a single in/out or a dual in/single out?

Looked under my truck and looks like I have the California emissions exhaust version. See parts 20010 and 20020 from the diagram below. Can I delete these and put straight pipes? Will this improve performance?

exhaust.gif

Also, can I get rid of the mess of heat shields? Now I am thinking about what Kingman said, trashing everything from the cats back and doing a Y-pipe to a single system.

you live in florida. you don't need any of that stuff. You could do a single 2.5" exhaust. Would sound throaty. Or, if you do dualall the way, use 1.75" tubing for each bank. I do like the single exhaust idea though...

So this was my brothers 99 QX4. He had a Magnaflow muffler put in and a dual tip. Please disreguard the wheels and stuff...

That sounds sweet. Is that from the cats back or just swapping out the muffler? I have a nice black chrome ss oval tip I'm going to use.

Also, can I get rid of the mess of heat shields? Now I am thinking about what Kingman said, trashing everything from the cats back and doing a Y-pipe to a single system.

Presumably the heat shields are there to prevent your body from getting hot and increasing the rate of rusting. I know my exhaust has no shields and I just repaired holes in the floor in the places where the pipe gets close. But I have a WD21 and live in Canada...

It was a custom system welded in. They cut the factory muffler off, then welded in the Magnaflow muffler and all new pipe from there back. IIRC, it cost around $300.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. But now I saw those California emissions pipes under my truck and am so tempted to chop them off.

Lots of info and opinions on exhaust pipe diameter here http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28877

Personally I went with dual in/dual out magnaflow (2.25" pipe). I like it for the most part. Had to sacrifice my spare tire, but the idea is to build a rear bumper/carrier eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am looking into swapping out the extra resonators after the cats with straight pipes and this is what I was told from a seller on ebay:

"This pipe will not work for you. You have a converter in your system, Ca emissions, and this is for Fed emissions only. If you replaced your converter with this pipe, you will trip the computer and run the risk of ruining all your converters. If you send us your make, model, year, engine size, and side you need, we will look for the right replacement for you."

Aren't the pipes just extra resonators? There is no oxygen sensor after them so I don't see how it would do anything.

He's mistaken. Pretty sure he thinks you're talking about removing the cats and putting straight pipes in.

That's what I thought. Are the pipes a direct fit if I swap them out? I am thinking about doing that then cutting the exhaust at the muffler and going performance from there back. Seems like the most economical way.