I have a 88 and I wanna put some 33in or 35in tires, I have the lift kit at home but I was wondering. Won't I need different gears if I put bigger tires and if so what gears should I get?

• 2 weeks later...

most around here run the stock gearing the on 33's but on 35's you'll definitely want to re-gear. give us some more specs on your truck and we can steer you in the right direction.

its stock :puterpunch: specs kinda speak for them self, op needs to decide what size tire he is going to run then crunch the numbers to figure out what gears he needs if its 33's leave it be, if its 35's well then you need to do the math, this thread should be moved out of the custom fab section and put in to the general tech section

Edited by WarehouseRat

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tag on the passenger fender should tell you the factory gear ratio. Mine is 456 if my memory serves correctly which is just right for 33's. I get the same mileage with mine as I did with the factory 31's. 35's with our IFS? Its been done, just get ready to break stuff until you add some beefy components into the mix... (I broke a bunch of stuff with 33's on a light trail ride.)

Off topic, sorry.

• 1 month later...

I believe you would have either 4.3 or 4.6 gears the tags under the hood will tell u HG43 is 4.3 gears HG46 is 4.6 or that is what I was told. I also have an 88 pathfinder mine is HG43 I run 35" Micky Thomson baja claws and have wheeled the crap out of my rig along with my teenage brother in laws who have done god knows what in it and the only thing I've lost on it so far is the clutch...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you would have either 4.3 or 4.6 gears the tags under the hood will tell u HG43 is 4.3 gears HG46 is 4.6 or that is what I was told. I also have an 88 pathfinder mine is HG43 I run 35" Micky Thomson baja claws and have wheeled the crap out of my rig along with my teenage brother in laws who have done god knows what in it and the only thing I've lost on it so far is the clutch...lol

Yep couldnt exactly recall what the ratio was, thus why I said if my memory serves correctly...

As for 35's on the STOCK IFS.... I assume your not DD'ing this truck? Or you have already beefed it up? No argument that these are tough little guys, but from experience, and countless other members here... The weakest link is the steering components...

Exactly why I had to replace all of my stuff with heavy duty gear, that has held up to some harsh punishment...

Okay guys here is a question while we are on topic of gears...

My truck is geared at 4.62, and they don't make that gear (that I have found) for my Wagoneer 44...

It goes from 456 to 488 for the 44....

Gah...

If my memory serves me correctly, if you divide one ratio into the other, it shows the percentage, and as long as it is not too extreme, it should be no big deal...

Thus 4.56 divided into 4.62 equals 1.013 which is just a hair over 1% difference...

So 4.56 will be just fine in the front...

there were some xterras that had 4.9 R&P gears. You could use that in the back with a wagoneer 4.88 up front. they should work pretty good for 33's + 35's