rear lift spring install dilemma

Cuong Nguyen

I am trying to avoid taking it to a shop if I can do it myself. Only thing is is that I have no jack stands nor a floor jack. What I do have is a 48" Hi Lift, the factory bottle jack, and can use the bottle jack from my Toyota Tundra. My old Ford F100 coils are about 16.25" long and my new coils are about 21.25" long. I was able to crank up the rear of the frame and remove one of the coils but couldn't put the new one in because I didn't have enough space. the Hi Lift was almost maxed out and I had to disconnect the rear diff breather hose.

Do you think if I were to remove the tire, I would be able to get them in? Even if I do get it in, would it be more difficult to do the other side because of the difference in height?

P1030988.jpg

P1030982.jpg

Rancho 9116 shock, Fox 2.0 11" shocks, BGY 3.5" Super Flex coils

P1030992.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Well, you could put your hilift on top of something to raise it up, but getting under the vehicle without proper jackstands isn't the greatest idea, especially if you've got some rigged up tippy hilift stack.

Can you get the jack in the end of the hitch safely? wrap a chain AROUND the hitch to jack up on. I'll assume your rear sway bar is disconnected or just removed altogether?

I don't think the hitch can support that much weight but can try. Only one side of the sway bar is disconnected. I'll have to undo the other one. I probably won't be able to work on it until Sunday afternoon. I did have jack stands at some point but I don't remember if I brought them home to my mother's place or they got lifted from me...

Remove the sway bar from the axle and loosen all your swing arm. Also remove the axle breather tube, unbolt the brake line junction block from the axle, and unbolt the Ebrake cable rubber guide loops. Once you get the new springs in set it down before tightening the swing arms. I wouldn't get under there without jack stands either. I bought some large 6 tons at pep boys for $40 a pair. Cheaper than the emergency room or a funeral.

James

Im sure its already crossed your mind, but if at all possible Id get a coil compressor(rent one, or harbor freight), it will definitely give you that last amount of space ya need to seat it properly.

I just had htis same issue as well, sway bar disconnected completely and all, the stock springs came right out, but the aftermarket ones I could not get in at all without a compressor..

Just figured Id throw it out there, but Im sure its already crossed your mind. Otherwise, BE CAREFUL, thats a dangerous setup in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I just compress the springs with weight, then putting a couple of ratchet straps on the spring to hold it compressed while I put it onto the lower spring bucket. Then jack up the axle until the spring gets compressed again by the truck weight and take the straps off the springs and repeat on the other side.

All I do to accomplish this is remove the panhard rod, swaybars, and shocks. There are lots of ways to compress the springs with weight, I doubt any of them are "safe" I have a shop floor jack that works perfect. Also be careful of having the straps sliding on the springs. A zip tie on the downhill side of the strap on top and uphill side on bottom will stop it from slipping.

Edited to say* That hitch will definitely handle the weight of the truck if you want to jack from it. I have a hitch carrier that I used to install into the receiver hitch to lift the whole backend of the pathy off the ground before I built my rear bumper..

Edited by TrailChaser

There is only two ways in my books, a shop, or the proper way. jackstands, REAL jacks (no bottle or recovery items)

spring compressor! other ways could actually kill you. dont risk it.

There is only two ways in my books, a shop, or the proper way. jackstands, REAL jacks (no bottle or recovery items)

spring compressor! other ways could actually kill you. dont risk it.

To each his own... You could just as easily be killed in a wreck on the way to buy a spring compressor or taking it to the shop. Life is full of risks.. It's better to be smart than scared... That being said most people who die at home die while doing "normal" tasks.

Sometimes you just gotta work with what you have. If you don't have an actual spring compressor, get a hold of some meaty ratchet straps like TrailChaser said. They work just as good as long as you have the strap centered on the spring.

:shrug: I had to ratchet strap one side on mine, the one side went right in, but then it limited the movement to get the other one in without some help. As long as you hook it right, and the strap isn't worn out or to light duty, it is just fine.

Place a long bar on top of your tire and get a friend (in my case it was a lawn mower) to push and hold it down. I had enough room to wiggle it out and the new one in this way. It should work better with a high lift than a floor jack cause you can get it higher. Of course all of this was concocted in my Polish head so........