Where does this ground go?

Trogdor636

. The exhaust manifolds would be the last place I would put ground straps. Putting ground straps on exhaust manifolds or even heat shields is a stupid idea because heat creates resistance.

Interesting. That is a good point. But doesn't the entire engine block heat up at one point?

The additional ground straps may have less to do with grounding the engine block as such but rather equalizing resistivity throughout the engine block so the instruments are as accurate as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. That is a good point. But doesn't the entire engine block heat up at one point?

The additional ground straps may have less to do with grounding the engine block as such but rather equalizing resistivity throughout the engine block so the instruments are as accurate as possible.

The exhaust manifolds are the hottest part of the engine. There is no such thing as equalizing resistivity.

i ditched my grounds when i got headers and havent had a problem yet.

That's exactly what I'm saying yet people are disagreeing here, notice the -2 under my post. The engine is a good enough ground for all the little sensors. I think it's pointless how there are ground straps to the exhaust manifolds.

Edited by Tungsten

• 7 years later...
On 9/16/2011 at 2:28 PM, sewebster said:

I'm the moron I guess. I'm not saying that removing the shields is going to instantly kill anything, but I'm pretty sure the temperature of stuff in the engine compartment will rise a bit. So, for instance, insulation on wires near the exhaust could become brittle faster etc. Or it could be that the Nissan engineers put them in solely to frustrate you. I doubt they were too concerned with the resistance change due to temperature, they just picked the shields/manifolds as a convenient place to add some grounds since they stick out.

So this is a super old thread but i thought id comment here as ive seen these questions and issues a lot about these grounds, and people having o2 sensor issues. thes grounds are not here as an arbitrary location because it was easy. The o2 sensors ground themselves through the exhaust that they are screwed into....however, exhausts are usually suspended by rubber mounts to reduce vibration and noise. this severely nhbits the ability for good grounding. These straps are added to help the o2 sensors achieve good ground. This wont always cause a problem if they are not attached....but it is highly possible. Especailly in older vehicles or o2 sensors with a lot of mileage on them 

• Like 1