shaking badly

ScottB

I have a 1990 4x4 pathfinder auto trans 249000 miles tires less than 2 months old, it vibrates and shakes badly when driving at steady speed 50 mph or faster if I hold speed steady, if I let up on the gas it stops shaking, and if I accelerate it stops shaking, but as soon as I hold speed steady again it starts shaking all over again. Anyone know what is the most likely problem. Thank you

Probably engine or trans mount? Tires could be out of balance or thrown a weight, or even a new tire could have tread separation if you are unlucky... but the dependence on throttle position sounds like it could be some sort of mount problem? Or I guess suspension where you get into some resonance condition. I'm basically just guessing at all this though.

My truck doesn't shake, but my car shakes over about 90 km/h or so, but ONLY when I'm accelerating... had the tires checked, I figure it's a mount...

Edited by sewebster

Check your compression rods. It could be that one has snapped, or has worn itself, or the cup down significantly, causing play. They're located at the rear of the lower control arms in the front end. They attach the back of the control arm to the frame.

• Like 1

Check your compression rods. It could be that one has snapped, or has worn itself, or the cup down significantly, causing play. They're located at the rear of the lower control arms in the front end. They attach the back of the control arm to the frame.

This ^ . I had the same problem. The rod was worn so badly it was about the size of a pencil when we took it off.

• 3 weeks later...

You may have the same problem im having!

Lift up your driver side wheel, enough to get it off the ground..and try to turn it, and look for any sort of movement.. (like my center link moves up and down 2 inches...when it shouldnt..)

Try lifting your passenger side and doing the same thing..turning it and check for any center link or even tie rod movement! You could also check your wheel bearings while you're lifting it..

This does sound like a front suspention component issue that needs to be checked out..... compression rods, end link, etc.

Edited by Alkorahil