Driving lights 1995 SE

gr8xr7

Can anyone tell me why my driving lights in the front bumper won't work? I have power and when I run voltage directly to them they work. The switch in the console just won't turn them on. I can't find a fuse for them and there is no reference to them in the Chilton's Motor manual. BTW thanks for the info. on the oil sending unit location. You guys are the greatest.

Edited by gr8xr7

You mean the fog lights right? Because the amber lights in the bumper are just turn signals! The foglights were a dealer added option there should be a relay behind the battery somewhere and a fuse inline somewhere. I'd take a pic but my other 95 is not here right now. First things first, did you check the bulbs? :tongue:

Ya, I checked the bulbs. When I put voltage to them they work. The fog lights in the bumper go back to a switch in the center console. It sure looks factory. My Pathy has just about every option, that's why I thought it was factory. When the dash lights are on there is an amber light in the switch that lights up until you turn it on. I just can't find the circuit to see where the fuse is.

My Pathy was like this when I bought it. The fuse was blown. The fuse on my 94 (and on my buddies 93) is actually not very factory looking at all. Its behind the battery, just a wire with a little black fuse holder. It honestly looks pretty ghetto for a dealer option, but maybe in the mid 90's thats the way things were done.

I guess to summerize what everyone has said.....

A long time ago, back in the day, once upon a time in the world of car dealerships.....

The front bumper fog lights for the WD21 Pathfinder, as well as the D21 Hardbody Truck and Maxima were supplied by Nissan as an add on accessory kit. (just like roof racks, grille guards and step rails were for the WD21)

Many dealers installed them on vehicles upon delivery to dress them up, etc.

Fun fact: AC systems were this way too prior to 1982.

Lights should only work in the low bean position on the light stalk on the steering column.

There should be a fuse near the positive battery terminal. It will be either a buss fuse or a blade fuse

Near the wiper motor on the firewall on the passenger side there should be a black relay box with 5 wires going to the bottom of the relay. It more than likely says Bosch on the top of it.

I suspect you are dealing with a blown fuse. Check that first.

Next check the relay. If the connections for the harness are corroded or it makes noise when you shake it, it is bad.

Both the fuse and the relay are inexpensive and available at any parts store. Fuse $1 or less, relay about $15

If none of these work, check the switch for the lights and the wiring to make sure it is all hooked up.

IIRC green is the ground, black the continuous power from the relay to the lamps. (yes thats correct, counter intuitive but correct) purple the lead to the low beam harness at the right headlamp, yellow is to the switch. black was also power from the relay to the positive terminal.

You guys are amazing, especially Alkorahil. I checked off the positive post and found the fuse holder. Indeed a blown fuse and now the lights work perfectly. Also, read a previous post obout the little plastic buttons that break on the brake peddle, Found that one and replaced it, and now my cruise control works again. You guys know more than the mechanics at the local Nissan dealer. Thanks again.,