Passenger door / dash rattling/tapping noise

Panbacca

I have this persistent tapping/rattling noise coming from the passenger dash/door area.

I thought it was IN the door, so I took the door panel & speaker off and started trying to rattle everything around in there... No luck. I couldn't get anything to make any noise.

I have banged my fist around under the passenger dash area, and still haven't been able to get anything to rattle.

But, inevitably when I start driving around, I can hear this damn tapping sound going over various bumps. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. To me, it sounds like something metal hitting metal or hard plastic hitting metal.

My Pathinfder has it's share of creaks here and there, but this particular noise is so obnoxious that I'm contemplating torching it. :ar15:

Anyone have anything similar? I can't pinpoint this noise.

Thanks for the suggestions... I've looked at all these options after you guys suggested them, but no luck.

I pulled up the kick panel and the carpet last night as well. Got under the hood and started rattling lines around, pulled on suspension pieces, jumped up and down on my side steps. I can't get the stupid thing to reproduce the noise unless I'm driving.

I am considering taking it into the dealer. I can live with rattles & creaks, but this tapping noise is taking it to another level.

Thanks for the suggestions... I've looked at all these options after you guys suggested them, but no luck.

I pulled up the kick panel and the carpet last night as well. Got under the hood and started rattling lines around, pulled on suspension pieces, jumped up and down on my side steps. I can't get the stupid thing to reproduce the noise unless I'm driving.

I am considering taking it into the dealer. I can live with rattles & creaks, but this tapping noise is taking it to another level.

I know how irritating those rattles can be! In my '03 Pathy, I was able to get rid of the rattles by putting a pencil eraser between the steering wheel airbag cover and the column, at the top of the wheel. A small folded piece of paper at the far side of the drivers side windshield air vent, and white lithium grease on the roof rack sliders. I hope this helps.

I know how irritating those rattles can be! In my '03 Pathy, I was able to get rid of the rattles by putting a pencil eraser between the steering wheel airbag cover and the column, at the top of the wheel. A small folded piece of paper at the far side of the drivers side windshield air vent, and white lithium grease on the roof rack sliders. I hope this helps.

I never thought about lithium grease on the roof rack sliders. I need to go do that now!

Have a friend drive it, ride shotgun, and push on various panels until it stops rattling. If nothing else, you'll get a better idea of where the rattle is (you can home in on it without worrying about going off the road).

I never thought about lithium grease on the roof rack sliders. I need to go do that now!

Let me know if the lithium grease helps. It made a huge difference on mine. Check out the steering column and dash vents as well, these are a common source of rattling noises.

Best of luck.