Pretty good gas mileage

1987caddy

Hello everyone. Just finished a 1100 mile trip from Birmingham to Savannah Ga/ Hilton Head Island SC. With 800 miles interstate at 65mph @ 3k rpms and 300 miles in town, we averaged 19.2 mpg. The truck has stock 235 tires and 4.30 gears. Only mods are K&N drop in filter and thrush muffler with no cat. Not bad with 163k miles and a/c on non-stop.

i've gotten mid twenty's once thats pretty adverage really, thats what i get now, non-stop driving makes a huge difference with mileage on these suv's did the gas light come on at all if not then you had almost 2 gallons of fuel left

Yesterday I finished a 600 mile trip running 75-80mph where possible loaded with ~800lbs persons and gear, heavy steel cargo rack hanging off the back, heavy Warn winch and mount hanging on the front, and AC on the whole trip...got 20mpg. Truck has ~325,000 one owner miles. :beer:

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone. Just finished a 1100 mile trip from Birmingham to Savannah Ga/ Hilton Head Island SC. With 800 miles interstate at 65mph @ 3k rpms and 300 miles in town, we averaged 19.2 mpg. The truck has stock 235 tires and 4.30 gears. Only mods are K&N drop in filter and thrush muffler with no cat. Not bad with 163k miles and a/c on non-stop.

How can you run without a catalytic converter? I mean, I know you can do it but how do you keep the law off your butt? Tell me about that Thrush muffler. Is that the same I can buy in the auto parts store? The Thrush turbo muffler? Do you get any kind of drone from the exhaust note while going down the freeway? I want a free'er flow muffler but don't want a loud braaap or drone. Was considering putting in a High flow cat from car sound but you just bypassed it all together!

When the a/c kicks in, I can really feel the motor bog down. Is that normal with the vg30? Can even feel it on the interstate at 3k rpms.

i feel nothing with my a/c running i can hear the compressor cycling at idle

There is a kill switch for the compressor where if the compressor starts to bog the engine down then it gets momentarily shut off.