Anatomy of a Nissan ignition lock assembly

ahardb0dy

Just finished re-keying this ignition lock for my 90 Sentra to match the key for my pathfinder, some guys on a lock picking forum I frequent wanted pics for future reference so I figured I would post them here as well, not sure of what every part is called, I am not a lock smith I am just good at looking at something and figuring out how they work:

front view of assembly showing pin that has to be removed to remove lock cylinder:

3580xao.jpg

rear view showing pin that has to be removed to remove lock cylinder:

t7bdl0.jpg

2 pins removed:

2rwark5.jpg

believe this is the switch that activates the beep when you leave the key in:

wjc6t1.jpg

removing lock cylinder, pic shows spring on top of lever and hole where one of the pins engages that holds the cylinder in the housing:

n49i85.jpg

lock cylinder removed:

2ccvtvo.jpg

button you press to remove key, and lever?:

2wmdxfo.jpg

part that engages the electrical ignition switch left side,:

qnabsh.jpg

lock tumbler showing pins in what would be the no key locked position, 8 wafers:

2qd61c8.jpg

spacer between lock cylinder and housing:

vyqvl5.jpg

more in a second

• 7 years later...

I know this is a very old thread, but I am looking to rekey my ignition and was wondering if you had any more information on how those pins were removed. Not all the pictures are showing up over 7 years after the original posting. Do you remember how you were able to get them out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

The little pins are removed by drilling a small hole next to each pin, than prying the pin out with a scribe tool or similar tool

Edited by ahardb0dy