Can the dealer look up a key code without the key code number?

ahardb0dy

Can anyone tell me if the dealer can look up or obtain the key code for my 94 PF if I don't have the key code number? Can it be looked up by the VIN number? Nissan Tech's responses please?

Thanks, just wanted to see if I can get an original "new" key made instead of copying a used key. Will have to call them wanted to ask you guys/gals first.

for pre 90 vehicles you can bring a lock cyl to a lock shop. the internals are numbed and they can cut a key to that.

Your lock cyls may be wore out too...

Just called local dealer someone explain this to me please cause I'm lost:

Parts dept guy is telling me they can only look up key codes in database for 80 and newer, I tell him 94 is newer than 80 and he keeps telling me it's not, I say how do you figure, 94 came out after 80, he says no, he tells me if someone was born in 94 and someone was born in 80 who is older? I say the person born in 80 would be older he says no,

WTF ???????????

AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE OR IS THIS GUY JUST AN IDIOT???????

Well scratch that idea, just called another dealer who at least asked me for my VIN number and looked it up and than told me the number doesn't come up, she explained that the original selling dealer may have not entered the code, so forget that idea, oh well....

I know about the sticker no sticker this PF no idea if glove box is even original, thanks anyway.

Edited by ahardb0dy

key codes are entered by the manufacture before the car is delivered to the dealerships, so the last call to the dealer is full of @!*% if you have an issue take the pathy to a lock smith and they can easily cut you keys in less then 20 minutes

go buy the blank from the stealership and take it into the locksmith there are 2 different color blanks one is black and one is grey the grey is the ignition key blank and the black is the lock blank

I don't care what the key looks like or who makes it what I was trying to do is get a brand new cut key, not to have a copy made of a worn out used key.

I don't care what the key looks like or who makes it what I was trying to do is get a brand new cut key, not to have a copy made of a worn out used key.

does your "old" key in working condition right now? Will it unlock AND lock each and every key-cylinder (driver, passenger, hatch/window)?

If it does so without any problems like needing to wiggle the key or re-inserting or flipping the key... then I'd say just base the copy off of the worn-old key. If the worn-old key is not having any issues then the copy is supposedly guaranteed from the keysmith to work, so far as I'm experienced.

And correct me, do the 94's have RFID/chipping in them? if not, then you're almost in the clear as far as not having to pay too much to get this done.

I think keys+cut runs $3+$1 or so?

Excuse me, sorry if I sounded "rude" to you and you think my question is "BS", I wasn't being rude just answering a reply to my question. Sorry for not being specific in my original post. The only rude comment is the one you just made. I'm on here everyday, and as I have said before to the "new people" no question is stupid or as you say "BS", just wait until you ask a "BS" question, I surely won't reply as you just did to me. Not going to argue with you over this so I'm done with it. Have a nice day :)

TO reply to Qx, yes the current key works fine in the ignition, the doors are keyed different, I guess the PO before my friend owned the PF had a problem and the ignition was replaced, reason I was looking to get a brand new key was because I am re-keying the locks so they all match the ignition key and as I re-key each lock some of the wafers are not lining up 100% in the lock cylinder, there are only 4 different wafers that Nissan used in these locks so if it's not wafer # 1 thru 4 than something else is wrong, so I figured if I had a new key I would have a better chance lining the wafers up in the cylinder properly. And no the keys do not have a chip in them and I asked the dealer how much to cut a new key and was told $6.

I have the same issue with my ignition key being mismatched with the door keys. My ignition switch went FUBAR a couple of years ago. I rely on my fob for the keyless entry and ground the plastic (RFID chip and all) down so that I van keep it in my wallet in case the battery dies.

only bs after you were rude "sounding", clearly your having issues and your reply to me was not warranted i was not rude to you, and was only tring to help with good info about the key blanks, and really who cares how much a person is on a forum and post, doesnt take away from the fact you acted like a a-hole to someone that tried to help you, not the way to make friends, and why is it people on forums thinks its ok to type like freakin idiots to people when they try to help and they just dont get it, oh and to anwser your question only part of the wafers are used for the lock and the others are used for the ignition, the key isnt working corectly due to the wafers being worn from using the wrong key blank ie the black blank, nissan's secret to make ignitions wear out lol that and people having to much weight on there keychains

Edited by WarehouseRat

only bs after you were rude "sounding", clearly your having issues and your reply to me was not warranted i was not rude to you, and was only tring to help with good info about the key blanks, and really who cares how much a person is on a forum and post, doesnt take away from the fact you acted like a a-hole to someone that tried to help you, not the way to make friends, and why is it people on forums thinks its ok to type like freakin idiots to people when they try to help and they just dont get it, oh and to anwser your question only part of the wafers are used for the lock and the others are used for the ignition, the key isnt working corectly due to the wafers being worn from using the wrong key blank ie the black blank, nissan's secret to make ignitions wear out lol that and people having to much weight on there keychains

I apologize if I sounded rude to you, I am not on here to make enemies, I AM on here everyday and I try to help out everyone if I can, I am by no means a Nissan expert nor claim to be, You are correct that it doesn't matter how many posts someone has, they could all be worthless posts. I just try to help out from my experience owning Nissan trucks for 20 something years. I honestly do not think what I wrote in my reply sounded rude, I re-read it twice, you say my reply "sounded rude" but you read it so you took it that way, once again I apologize if it made you think I was being rude.

I never knew about the different color keys, the only Nissan I ever bought brand new was my 87 Hardbody and it had the small headed black plastic keys so I really have never seen a OEM grey key before. What do you mean only part of the wafers are used for the lock and part for the ignition?? I re-keyed an ignition lock I got from the junkyard last night for my Sentra and I cleaned it out real good inside the housing, I can see wear marks from what looks like someone turning the key with force as there are wear marks where the wafers contact the lock housing, but now that it is clean inside and I played around with switching wafers out for others it is lining up good and works perfectly.

only a few of the tuberlers/wafer are used for the lock and/or ignition hence one key working for all key opens you may get all like wafers/tublers the same but its not needed yah there maybe lots of variations of wafers but there really is only a few dozen varitions used at least thats how gm, ford, dodge, honda,audi did it for years all of which i have worked for,the key area of the auto industry manufacture try to carry a common keying type so locksmiths can rekey vehicles, as of just oh say 10 yrs ago manufactures started adding security chips with encrypted codes that shake hands with the emc/ecu and allow it to start, then there are the lazer cut keys with/w/o chips easy to cut if you have the machine for it, but the chips need programming (ie audi) by the manufacture and they only do it if you have a title in hand, audi wouldnt do it for a third party repair faciltiy for anything, its a money thing.....sorry for the rant on automotive key trivia lol and i can say every manufacture has a master key for every model, I can't say for ferarri or lambo or any other of the like as those have crystals in them... as for which wafer work what funtionie lock or ignition you would need rekeying fsm from the dealer and they only sell those to lisenced/bonded locksmiths noth cheap either i mangaged to get a old gm one and i still paid 500 for it.... and again sorry for crappy keyboard grammer its not a wrench..... :scratchhead: ok thats going to be my signature

I just finished taking pics of my ignition lock for the Sentra and will be posting them soon under " Anatomy of a Nissan ignition lock" check them out