How to Open Rear Glass?

Well I went out and was going to finally attempt to try to open the rear glass on the hatch, as I hadn't ever done so before. So, I look in my manual and it says to turn the key to the right two positions. Simple enough; I walk around back, stick my key in, the key goes over one position, and refuses to go over a second. At this point, I assume that it is seized as it is likely that the hatch hadn't been opened too many times at all throughout it's life as a 2001.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong here? Also, I remember seeing something about there being a button to open the rear glass on some Pathfinders/QX4s? Would a 2001 LE with all the options have that little button?

Thanks!

I would think their to be a electric release somewhere on the dash, r50s being a little more... Refined I guess is the word I want... than wd21s and THEY have em. Though don't quote me though since I am far from a r50 genius.

And don't feel bad, my rear lock will ONLY release the window, but won't unlock the hatch... Makes for an interesting watch for the neighbors when my door locks freeze during the winter :lol:

• Like 1

I would think their to be a electric release somewhere on the dash, r50s being a little more... Refined I guess is the word I want... than wd21s and THEY have em. Though don't quote me though since I am far from a r50 genius.

And don't feel bad, my rear lock will ONLY release the window, but won't unlock the hatch... Makes for an interesting watch for the neighbors when my door locks freeze during the winter :lol:

Been there done that! My door handle broke and the locking mech. inside..

My 2004 has a release for the back window on my driver door next to my fuel door release (located below the handle). Also, to unlock mine with the key, turning one way unlocks the gate, turning the other way unlocks the glass.

Edited by SilentLamb

Looking through the 2004 owner's manual quickly, I see nothing about a rear glass hatch switch for opening it from inside the cabin. I did notice that there's a coinbox and ashtray that fill the hole where the 4WD switch would be, and the useless rectangular hole under the stereo (respectively). I found them, but at $55 for an ashtray for a 2001... ehh... I'll pass. The coinbox probably wouldn't fit unless I got a 2004 cluster trim piece. It's also $30. But I digress.

EDIT: Found it:

04hatch.png

And to open the glass hatch using the key, you turn the key 90 degrees toward the passenger side, not driver side as I said earlier.

Edited by Towncivilian