Broken hood latch

Tungsten

The latch that holds the hood down on my truck stopped responding to the cable. After spending about an hour thinking of creative ways to get the latch to open for the last time, the latch gave in and I was able to pop the hood open. After that I just unbolted the latch, took out the cable, and removed the latch assembly permanently. What I took out is rusted to crap and yes it was greased before anyone asks. I'm not even sure as to what failed but it doesn't work anymore. The cable does work though, it is not snapped anywhere.

Now I have a few options:

1. Forget the latch and install hood pins - this is cool but at the same time an invitation for trouble

2. Go to a scrap yard and get another latch - economical but not reliable and may fail again the same way

3. Go to the dealer and buy a new latch - there is no guarantee of the dealer having one and they may charge a small fortune

4. Get an NPORA member to send me a decent working one - I hope I can trust NPORA people to not send me a ****** one

Decisions...

Opinions?

I have the same problem with my pathfinder, I did not remove the assembly though. I have found if i push down on the hood really hard by the latch then go pull the release it works. I still have not figured out what is causing the problem although I have not looked into it to hard as I have been thinking about dove nosing the pathfinder witch would lead to hood pins anyways. Don't use nunya's chain idea please.

I have the same problem with my pathfinder, I did not remove the assembly though. I have found if i push down on the hood really hard by the latch then go pull the release it works. I still have not figured out what is causing the problem although I have not looked into it to hard as I have been thinking about dove nosing the pathfinder witch would lead to hood pins anyways. Don't use nunya's chain idea please.

He was talking with Kyle for too long...

• Like 1

if you go to a u-pull-it type yard, you can see what you are getting first hand...

I'd call the stealer just because I like to know how much jack I just saved not buying it there...

I would also like to think you would do fine with a NPORA member but you have to add shipping to overall cost then (at least I would since I am a lone dot on the map for South Carolina LOL!

Hood pins...really? :thumbsdown:

Well the hood pins may stop the hood from shaking for one and they are a much cheaper option. I'm not a big fan of them but they work if I can't get a working latch.

I don't even care about drilling the hood as it has so many damn bumps and dents in it already from all the abuse it got. :lol:

Edited by Tungsten

weld the damned thing shut. You don't need to get under the hood anymore

someone else who has bee nevermind :lol:

(and the chain joke was a derby/enduro thing)

Fixed it! I soaked the latch in Simple Green to get all the oily crud out and sprayed the assembly with white lithium grease and greased all the moving parts with chain oil. Just put the thing back in, aimed it using the factory traces, and it works like factory new. :D

3. Go to the dealer and buy a new latch - there is no guarantee of the dealer having one and they may charge a small fortune

This part is still avaialble from Nissan. MSRP is $55.10 I an do it for $33.61 plus shipping if you are interested.

PART NUMBER 65601-01G0A MALE LATCH, HOOD