Octane...what type of fuel are you guys running?

I am finally closing in on the final details of getting my new to me 1988 Pathfinder ready for a State Vehicle Inspection. Thank God and the folks are NPORA for helping out.

That said I am curious what octane fuel most of you are running? Is Regular (87) ok? are there any benefits to going with mid-grade or premium?

My German cars hate REG/Mid and only run on Premium. I was kind of hoping the Pathfinder would be A-Ok with Reg.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

87 grade here, normally. I consider 'some' of the fuel I use 85 jokengly... But 87 is plenty fine. I personally belive higher grades at least in my truck only benefit making my wallet easier to carry since it weighs less afterwards.

• Like 1

If the vehicle is specified to run on regular (87 octane) fuel, using any higher octane will not result any benefit (the engine can't advance timing any further) and may even cause some issues as the higher octanes are harder to burn. It'll only waste money.

If the vehicle is specified to run on regular (87 octane) fuel, using any higher octane will not result any benefit (the engine can't advance timing any further) and may even cause some issues as the higher octanes are harder to burn. It'll only waste money.

87 it is! Thank you both! Perfect! Next stop this afternoon to pay the shop and retreive the Pathfinder. Fingers crossed it will pass MASS State Vehicle Inspection and I will be good to go!

• 4 weeks later...

I always use 89. Only because the shell station I usually go to says "no ethanol" on the middle grade and premium choices.

Nice.... no ethanol....nice wish we could find some around here. Everyhwere has it now, probably because this is a big city.

Edited by Alkorahil

I always use 89. Only because the shell station I usually go to says "no ethanol" on the middle grade and premium choices.

You will not see that no ethanol much longer, Most states now require 5-10 percent ethanol, and it is looking like it will soon be a federal requirement. I am against this stuff makes no sence that they are adding a chemical that makes gas less efficient and causes more ware on engines. It is a big joke.

Depends on weather you have fuel injection or carb... If you want to run high grade fuel you will have to change your spark timing and carby settings to take advantage of the increased octane... With EFI the computer should make the changes for you inside it's preset rates, providing all the sensors are in working order (nok, O2, map/ air speed, air temp, etc). If they are not, then the computer will revert to a factory preset... After that you will need your computer remapped...

I myself have tuned my Z24 carb and spark for 98 octane... The advantages of higher rate fuels are cleaner burn and more bang for your buck... I do getting better mileage from the better fuel and if tuned correctly your emissions should be either the same or lower...

Remember I am in Australia and we pay more for fuel ( about $1.60 per liter aus, $1.71 for 0.264 gallon u.s.)

You will not see that no ethanol much longer, Most states now require 5-10 percent ethanol, and it is looking like it will soon be a federal requirement. I am against this stuff makes no sence that they are adding a chemical that makes gas less efficient and causes more ware on engines. It is a big joke.

I have to agree 100%

I also have thought many times...seems there is a correlation between when they started seriously adding ethanol in all gas and the increase in vehicles failing emissions test because of catalytic converters failing.

The number that are replaced are significantly higher than say about 10 years ago when the push started. Ask any parts guy who has been around for awhile.

Or maybe they just dont make them like they used to....