Show me your OME lifts!

Well, as per the title says, I'd love to see some OME lifts on your R50s!

I'm looking to lift the Pathfinder and will when the funds allow. I'm leaning towards the OME due to the supposed better ride quality versus the AC lift. Probably going to go with HD coils up front with MD coils in the back in order to try to level out the R50's rake. Likely going to do GR-2 structs and OME shocks.

Also, are there any negative or notable effects of using strut spacers?

Now for showing me the OME lift you have, if you could:

•  
  • Let me know what coils you used(LD, MD, HD).
  • What shocks/struts did you use?
  • What was the total amount of lift gained? How many miles on the vehicle?
  • Did your struts still pop if you used the HD coils up front?
  • How is the ride quality versus OEM?
  • Were you satisfied with the overall lift?
  • What kind of rims were you running? What's the backspacing on them?

I really appreciate it guys. Loving this community so far. A NPORA sticker will likely accompany the lift. ;)

Edited by DesertFox

Here ya go...I actually posted this pic a few weeks ago.

For the specs i did:

1) HD up front and MD in back

2) KYB GR2 all around

3) I got 2.5" inches around but a trip up to the cottage with a crew and tons in the trunk settled it to 2" around. Only about 800km so far.

4) No pop at all.

5) I personally felt no difference, maybe a little stiffer on bumps

6) Very satisfied with the choice.

7) 16x9 ATX wheels 4.5" of backspace, 275/70 tires.

Awesome choice on the coils man you'll be very happy with them. Good luck with the build when it comes time.

IMG-20110516-00113.jpg

• Like 1

Curious...Nissan3- you didn't notice a difference aside form bumps? Going down the road/turning/etc still felt like a car?

Actually I can't really say no difference, It definitely gave it more of a truck like feel, but I didn't feel a dramatic difference in the ride.

OME Coils: LD front (tricked by rocky road site which said they were MD, but really are LD)- used a 3/8 spacer on the front

MD rear

KYB GR-2 struts

OME shocks

Wheels: 16x7 with 4" backspace

Tires: 245/75 (slight rub when backing up - just need a heat gun to push back the platic)

I had 125,000 km (78,000 miles) before replacing the suspension. Once replace, I gained 2.5 inches in the front and 3 inches in the rear. I noticed a huge difference in the handling and the ride. It is much better with the new suspension. There has been no noticeable settlement since I installed them 5000 km (3000 mi) ago even with it being fully loaded with gear and 4 - 200+ lbs people. Before this, i was hitting the bump stops on most pot holes with the vehicle empty. I will post when i get a chance.

Here's what I've got (pictures to be uploaded later tonight after work)

MD all around, front and back

KYB GR-2 up front, KYB Monotube gas-a-justs at the rear

my measurements "BEFORE" and "AFTER" the suspension swap out.

These are measured from the bottom of the wheel-well along the outside of the body, down to the floor, measuring through the center-cap of the wheel.

BEFORE

Driver Front: 31"

Psngr Front: 31.25"

Driver Rear: 32"

Psngr Rear: 32.125"

AFTER

Driver Front: 32.25"

Psngr Front: 32.5"

Driver Rear: 34.25"

Psngr Rear: 34.5"

*this was after driving ~1mi with new suspension. I will need to see if it settles overtime.

no HD's. I like the rake
    B)

I purchased the truck with 152k miles. I currently have 161k miles. So having recently changed the suspension, it'd kind of be unfair to grade the new vs "old" suspension since the "old" suspension was already significantly worn-in. But as an attempt to give you some sort of "feel" just speaking for the rear suspension, because I didn't do the strut dis- and re-assembly myself (took it to a shop):

[sHOCKS] the KYB Gas-A-Justs were significantly more "stiff" than what came off the truck... BY A LOT! I initially had purchased the KYB GR-2 rears, and also noticed that these were a tad stiffer than what came off the truck, but the Gas-A-Just was much more stiffer than the GR-2's. On a scale of 1-5 (1 is softest), if I place the "old" shocks at "1" and Gas-A-Just at "5", the KYB GR-2's (IMO!!) would come in at about "2". Please note that this is a scale comparing ONLY the 3 shocks I hand in hand, so I have no idea how the OME's would change the scale.

[sPRINGS] The first difference I noticed immediately, was the size of the sping in terms of "gauge", if I may so call it. The thickness of the spring coil of the OME is much more beefier than the coils that came off the truck. Also, if I were to try to compress the OME spring against the floor, I wouldn't get far. If I were to try to compress the coil that came out from under the truck, I'd get maybe 1-inch down. The OME, maybe 1/4". I'm not compressing it and holding it at 1" or 1/4", I'm just pressing down momentarily (sort of like doing CPR, just bouncing my weight through my arms into the coils)

Yes. I'm happy. Although the likelihood of doing any REAL off-roading and mudslinging is near 1% for me, I'm happy with it. I mainly use my truck for hauling my bike on a trailer (which you'll see below) and just carrying people and gear whenever going to the snow. I just want the lift to "be there" when I need it so it's not sagging down the highway with the added weight. I do wish that I either got a "longer" or stiffer front strut. Based on KYB's website, the GR-2's are meant to be OEM replacements, not upgrades. The monotube Gas-A-Justs are intended to serve as upgrades to the OEM spec.

OEM wheels, no spacers anywhere. Like I said... I'm just one-of-dem posers!
    P...

Well, as per the title says, I'd love to see some OME lifts on your R50s!

I'm looking to lift the Pathfinder and will when the funds allow. I'm leaning towards the OME due to the supposed better ride quality versus the AC lift. Probably going to go with HD coils up front with MD coils in the back in order to try to level out the R50's rake. Likely going to do GR-2 structs and OME shocks.

Also, are there any negative or notable effects of using strut spacers?

Now for showing me the OME lift you have, if you could:

•  

I really appreciate it guys. Loving this community so far. A NPORA sticker will likely accompany the lift. ;)

Edited by Qx4donald

Here are some of my pictures.

I may need to re-take them since they're kinda crappy...

Here's showing the noticable rake

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Rear wheel well height

IMG_0021.JPG

front wheel well height

IMG_0022.JPG

attempt to compare against a Chevy Suburban

stitch_resize.jpg

attempt to compare against a Mitsubishi Montero Sport

stitch_resize.jpg

did I purposely go hunting for comparisons? Yes, I did. :itsallgood:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Here ya go...I actually posted this pic a few weeks ago.

For the specs i did:

2) KYB GR2 all around

3) I got 2.5" inches around but a trip up to the cottage with a crew and tons in the trunk settled it to 2" around. Only about 800km so far.

4) No pop at all.

5) I personally felt no difference, maybe a little stiffer on bumps

7) 16x9 ATX wheels 4.5" of backspace, 275/70 tires.

Awesome choice on the coils man you'll be very happy with them. Good luck with the build when it comes time.

Love your truck. I got an 04 Chilkoot... I have decided against the AC, looking at either the EMU wth the HD/MED combo or the IronMan.

The tires I was looking at are 265/75/16 duratracs, look to be just a hair taller than yours, assuming yours are 275/70/16? I just assumed that was a 16" wheel, or is it 17?

I want to keep my stocker wheels, I think they are 3.75" BS (big fat wide 5 spoke ugly ones haha).

I'm going to assume if I keep them, I'll need the 1.5" spacers?

So with these lifts, the proper backspacing brings the tires out far enough form the stut that the side of the tire now runs beside the strut cup / beside front spring??

Thanks for the help. Any major issues in swapping springs that would be a tip to watch out for?

I'm planning on MD springs all around and 1" strut spacers to level things up. I'm hoping this will ride a little better than the HD springs in the front, and eliminate any possible strut topping out. Hopefully when the wheel hangs it won't damage the cv joints from movement beyond typical range.

Qx4donald, I have the same wheels, and have a question. Can the plastic hub caps be cut out for the Warn hubs, or are the hubs so large that the cutout would get into the bolt recesses in the plastic cap? Thanks.

I currently run MD front and rear with KYB-GR2 fronts and OME rears. I have steel pro-comps with 4.5" backspacing running 30" BFG all-terrains. I absolutely love the lift and the extra height it gives. Much stiffer than OEM and the extra ride height helps with towing a heavy load. Never once heard a pop. The truck currently has 180K+ on it. Highly recommend the lift.

Best stock picture I could find:

2438996440106620101S500x500Q85.jpg

After lift:

2076736640106620101S500x500Q85.jpg

Fully cleaned:

2985831950106620101S500x500Q85.jpg

Now that this has been bumped up, OP- anything to report?

I got a brushguard today, so now I have an excuse to get the HDs all around (that is, whenever i'm not poor)

:thumbsdown:

Nothing new to report. With great sadness, my R50 is most likely getting sold in order to get something with less rust damage in order for me to have a car that will last through college.

Love my R50, but im likely going to be getting a Toyota Tacoma so it's not all bad!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2) KYB Excel G all around

3) I got 2.5" inches around

4) No pop at all.

5) Handles better than saggy stock springs and blown shocks lol

7) Stock wheels with 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Silent Armor. No rubbing at all.

12110022.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1) OME2923 Front, OME2922 Rear (MD?)

2) KYB Excel G all around

3) I got around 2" inches initially but after 2k miles I think it's only 1" front and .5" rear (anyone else experience this?)

4) No pop at all.

5) Handles fine

6) Wish I'd gone with HD in the rear since I carry most of the load in the back and I don't like the squatted look, not to mention dragging the rear hitch when offroading

7) Stock wheels with 245/75/16 Duratracs with no rubbing

IMG_7517_zps0eba34d8.jpg

Edited by stioc
  • Like 1

Yeah I too am surprised at the amount of lift. I compared it with another member here (karmann) who has the same size tires on his 2002 but no lift. He measures 33" all around from the ground to the edge of the fender (through the center of the wheel). I have trim packers (3/8" plates) in the front and I measure 34" front and 33.5" rear.

Edited by stioc
  • Like 2

You're either packing more weight than he is or his suspension is in better shape than yours was before you installed the springs. I was running 31's before my lift and I went from 32 1/4 to 35 inches and I ended up settling at 34 3/4.

I measured my lift (I know it's an AC lift & the body style is a little different, but I was just curious) & mine was 37" at the edge of the fender on the back & 36" at the front. I'll measure the B pillar tomorrow for a better comparison.

Edited by theexbrit

I have the sliders (80lbs) and the OEM hitch over his.

Round two: He measured the clearance from the ground to the edge of the pinch-weld seam (under the B pillar to be exact) and it his sits at 14.25". I remember measuring it at around 16" right after the install but I'll have to verify what it is now. The space under the rear diff to the ground is approx 8.8" - which should be the same for everyone with the same size tires fully inflated.

In other news, I don't understand how a 1st gen Toyota Tundra lists its GC 10.4" with 265/70/16 tires (and the 3rd gen 4Runner lists it at 9" also with the same tires).