the #6 plug

what have you guys used to replace this plug, I am still trying to get may hand down there to pull the boot but it is on good and tight??? :headwall:

when/if it comes off, any special extensions needed?

Edited by petespath

i know were talking r50 here but why does it seem almost everyone has issues with #6? Before and after BL I had 0 issues (yet am always looking for one of those elusive speckle tools when rooting through JY trucks... I want it just to say I have it I guess) :shrug:

put a glove on and pull harder... :shrug:

If that doesn't work I'd recommend a set of pliers and some good old mechanical advantage.

Edited by MrT

well the boot finaly came free, the back of my hand is very sore, however the plug is still in. no matter what tool, socket, wrench, knuckle, extension used, there is no room. on to plan B

Look in the little black bag under the back set with the jack stuff in it. There are 2 special sockets for the spark plugs.

REALLY???? I never knew that, I'll have to check it out. I thought that was stuff to lower the spare tire underneath!

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I noticed when at the junkyard that the VG30E pathfinders have a real long spark plug tool in the jack bag, I still have the socket from my 87 hardbody and it is much shorter. When I replaced my plugs I was able to remove it no problem but had to have my neighbor and his skinny arm get the new one in for me.

Look in the little black bag under the back set with the jack stuff in it. There are 2 special sockets for the spark plugs.

I went through every r50 and both wd21s today while rooting at the j/y, one r50 I think I was the first person to ever open the tool kit and all that was there was spare tire removal stuff, nothing that even resembled a spot to put a socket. (though I DID find in the same truck a cargo net still in the fancy Nissan bag and some brandy new Nissan branded bushings in another) I want those sockets just to say I have them I think... proably never use em though.

Yeah mine has a couple of things for tire changing, but there are 2 long sockets in there too, one longer than the other. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. They make the job much easier!

My '01 R50 didn't come with a little black bag. Just the scissor jack, the lug wrench, and long bar to crank down the spare. Those 3 things are held in place with specially fitted brackets under the rear seat. And I got mine brand-new, so nobody else could have taken it.

How ever you take it out just make absolutely positively for damn sure that you put never seize on the threads. Carbon gets in the threads and you can tear the threads out unscrewing a stuck plug in an aluminum head.

James

I just used an extaension, plug socket and u joint. Works great for me. My stock black bag was stolen (why would they take that?) so I lost that stuff. Never did use it though. Definately messed up my hand the first time i did it, but it's easy to do now.

Jose

• 3 weeks later...