R50 vs. R51: Which do you prefer?

jwblue

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the R50 or R51?

A lot of people still used horses into the 20's too. To each his own...

Exactamando! Some people are set in certian ways and can seem a bit stubborn over them. I jokingly pick on r50s but as proved many times over around here they are just as capable (some areas better-some worse... balances out in my books) as wd21s. R51s don't have the off road following yet as I would expect the green being dropped to say you have one is a bit higher than the older r50s and wd21s where it can be a little more justified to abusing them more. (not saying r51s are useless, just a possible reason there ain't as many yet out there).

And ain't the Armada bigger than the standard Pathfinder? They are kinda tahoe/expedition sized iirc :shrug:

My vote goes towards the R50, yeah it's unibody but as far as off road goes I would much prefer a more compact vehicle. Plus I've seen heaps of R51s driven by "ballers on a budget" who can't afford an Escalade and instead molest a R51 with chrome and ungodly sized wheels.

irs is something I prefer NOT to have. I like my trucks to obviously be trucks. :aok:

So what would you call an HMMWV? Seems to me like one hell of a truck... and it has independent suspension all around. I'm pretty sure it can out wheel any pathfinder too (as long as the trail is as wide as an airstrip :whistle:)

The R50 kills the R51 in every way... my 2001 was faster, got better mileage, handled better, and had ZERO squeaks or rattles than my friends one year old R51. Having driven his a couple hundred miles I am not impressed at all.

Anybody who thinks the R51 handles better than the R50 is dead wrong, they must have driven an R50 with over 100,000 miles on original shocks/springs.

BTW: 5 speed + VQ35 + 4WD = winning combo every time

You wheeled your R50??

After dealing with the WD21 rust for years, and just the weekend experiencing the same thing on Nige's truck, I can't help but wish that Nissan used better steel. My WD22 Xterra frame is in beautiful shape, only 5 years newer than Nige's truck, or my own WD21s, which have all required extensive patching.

I absolutely loved my WD21's. They were ultra reliable vehicles with the rust issues aside. The steering/IFS still pisses me off in my X, and and I would love the R50/R51 strut/rack and pinion setup. It's far more reliable than the garbage in the WD series trucks.

It has to be pointed out though, the only people that have rust issues live in places that spread corrosives on the roadways. The majority of pathys enjoy a salt free existence and do not suffer. :shrug:

B

Come on guys, R50 looks better every time... Its an older design, and yet it looks proportional in terms of the windows, tires, stance, etc. The body panels of R50 are simple, but they do have curvatures that look pretty good under the daylight (its pretty obvious in a silver R50 in daytime). You get to see the reflection of the sky, and things at the horizon. As for the R51, I find the fender flares are oversize, and the body panels are too flat, boxy-looking. I like the front-end though

IMG00936-20110531-1944.jpg

Edited by dududuckling

Damn thing looks like those new dodge Caravans. personally. i like R50's, far more rugged looking but still street sexy, the trim on the new ones look horrible for the body style. (my opinion only though, we all have our own preferences, on how a vehicle should work and look), Iam sure the r51 is a nice cozy ride compared to all the others. But would you want to take it offroading? all new and shiny and pretty!

Little off topic, But the new Ford Fiesta's look sweeet, Id drive one.

Little off topic, But the new Ford Fiesta's look sweeet, Id drive one.

I was with you until you said this... Now I know you aren't to be trusted :D

You wheeled your R50??

It has to be pointed out though, the only people that have rust issues live in places that spread corrosives on the roadways. The majority of pathys enjoy a salt free existence and do not suffer. :shrug:

B

Agreed. But if you live in a salt state/area, it's a BIG issue.

Agreed. But if you live in a salt state/area, it's a BIG issue.

Not if you're willing to spend the $2.00 a month to spray off the underside of your car in the winter like I do... And wouldn't you know that my pathfinders don't have rust problems :shrug:

Here is my opinion only a opinion though to each there own.

WD21-best offroad pathfinder, Moderate road manner

R50-Moderate offroad performance, good road manner

R51-how the hell did they turn the pathfinder line into a minivan.

On the rust issue My pathfinder is from 91 still stock paint no rust on it at all, well a little on my offroad rims :)

Not if you're willing to spend the $2.00 a month to spray off the underside of your car in the winter like I do... And wouldn't you know that my pathfinders don't have rust problems :shrug:

You know that is funny, when I bought my second wd21 in mid 2007 (previous one was given to me), it had a perfect frame. I kid you not there was not one hole or soft spot in it. I must have washed it at least once a week in the winter spraying out the frame and stuff. Ask pezzy she will tell you because I was whining about my doors freezing shut lol.

Anyways, 4 years later I have patched the bottom from the spring perch on the drivers side to the bumper, the inside beside the perch all the way to the lower link mount on the passenger side, the part the rear tires cover on both sides, where the swaybar link mounts all the way to the perch on the drivers side, and a 6 inch section from the panhard back on the passenger side (obviously). It is good and solid now but I was kinda disappointed that my many dollars spent in fluid film and pay n spray car washes didn't pay off. On the other hand, some people, including nige, have said mine isn't nearly as bad as theirs, so maybe it did help a little.

Edited by adamzan

Maybe some of them just rust more??? Between my father and myself we have had 2 WD21s and two R50s and NONE of them have had any issues at all with rust... as in zero. And I do live in a state where there is salt on the road 4-5 months out of the year. Maybe they just use stronger stuff up there in Canada?

If I had to be pried away from a WD, I would take an '04 R50 Platinum Edition with the black leather interior/ash wood trim. I think they look great. The R51... ugly as hell.

Maybe some of them just rust more??? Between my father and myself we have had 2 WD21s and two R50s and NONE of them have had any issues at all with rust... as in zero. And I do live in a state where there is salt on the road 4-5 months out of the year. Maybe they just use stronger stuff up there in Canada?

This I believe is true, there was tales of nissan using two diffrent metal surpliers for the frames on wd21s. My 95 is rusted too hell and gone with 160k and only being 12 years old (is fixed mostly now) A guy I work with has a 93 that has 240k, is completly rotted out but the frame is still good, minor sureface rust, no sagging and no welding ever done.

As far as r50s vs r51s, I would choose nethier, if I stayd nissan it would be a titan or frontier, if I changed brands I'd look for a Short bed reg-cab dodge 1500 with the hemi or dually swap/ flat bed my old 150 for a bastard 150/350 combo (in fact this is what I'm doing right now).

Id take an R50, the R51 is just disappointing seeing what they went from to where they are at now(damn general consumers!)

As far as rust on the pathy's, Ive lived in Nebraska for a few years, and the older WD's and D21's Ive seen didnt have anymore rust than the Toyota's, the Ford's, the Chevy's, etc.. around the same age.. That is just my experience though..

Edited by feyded

I would rock a R51. They are more versital thand people think. Oh, has anyone who has a WD or caR50 ever driven a R51 off road? This thread is not about choosing between a WD and the others, but what would you move up to? I like the 4.0. Maybe I stay away from a 05 model, but I like it.

calminipathfinder.jpg

Oh, has anyone who has a WD or caR50 ever driven a R51 off road?

Yes, I have. It's just as capable as any stock pathfinder if not a little more so. I think people around here will change their tone when they get cheap enough to bring home and mod. It's still kinda ugly though. I'll admit that much.

• 2 months later...

Salts a killer, ive seen 5 year old trucks from ontario look worse then 20 year old trucks from the Yukon. My pathfinder included. So its just a matter of taking care of your vehicle and not letting the Cancer known as rust spread.

What is supposed to bad about the R51, functionality wise?

While it obviously doesn't have the same offroad capability as the previous generations, it is still a pretty nice ride. I've driven one a few times and I have to say, it had a lot of power and it rode really nice. My grandparents neighbors have one and they love it. He uses it to go to his hunt camp/tow trailers and whatever else. He said it is 100x better than his old trailblazer. My favorite part is that you can actually have a conversation with someone inside of it on the highway lol.

Whenever the topic of the R50 vs other model pathfinders comes up the first thing out of anyones mouth is always...Well the r50 does not have a frame!! You say it with some spunk as if it has some kinda valid point behind it, when really what is that point? What are the advantages to having a frame besides the whole oh real trucks have frames and its easier to lift them and so on. Sure my pathy is a unibody but never once have I EVER found myself in a situation where I was saying to myself "damn I wish I had a frame" I wheel my pathy and put it in some pretty good situations...the doors always open and never bind, the body does not torque like in some other vehicles. The towing capacity is pretty much identical to that of the wd, if anything id imagine towing with a r50 would be easier due to having more power at your disposal. The running gear on the r50 in terms of trans and xcase and axles is pretty much all the same. If anything the fact that the r50 has a unibody can be used as an arguement against a frame. The truck rides awesome, alot better than any jeep or lifted truck I have been in and our unibodies are not as notorious for becoming swiss cheese after a period of time.

Once again for those people that don't think R50s have frames, THEY DO! The frame is just integrated with the body making the truck seem as if it were a total uni-body but it isn't. The R50 is a really nice truck except that VQ motor is a pain in the ass to deal with.