350HP twin turbo 1995 Pathfinder buildup

Diesel trucks such as 18-wheelers and Japanese box trucks commonly run twin turbos for the purpose of increasing fuel economy. I also think they run them so they can pass my pathfinder on the interstate, and make me feel bad.

Diesels are lifeless without a turbo. Sure there's lots of torque but just not very much GO to go with it if it doesn't have a turbo.

Truthfully, I never was impressed with the pathfinder motors. I always figured I'd let mine die, then replace it with something better. But, after reading here a bit, I realize they have alot of untapped power and strength. I have a 99.5, 3.3L. I'm not sure what engine that is exactly. Would this handle the extra hp the same as some of the older motors? Would I have to use different rods/valves/pistons? Just curious if this motor could handle the twin turbo conversion without changing parts out.

Oh yeah, it also has over 150,000 miles on it. I've noticed a sharp decline in power since I bought it a year ago.

Edited by Methfinder

Everything has been holding together great....and I have Tortured this thing! I run wide open across sand flats, carve side hills, hill shoot huge dunes, and air it out under all 4 wheels on jumps. It has taken a beating. Right now it is down to get a new timing belt and water pump, and a couple upgrades to the fuel system and intercooler fans. It will be out next summer for another beating. It has definitely turned a few heads when we go play with it.

Everything has been holding together great....and I have Tortured this thing! I run wide open across sand flats, carve side hills, hill shoot huge dunes, and air it out under all 4 wheels on jumps. It has taken a beating. Right now it is down to get a new timing belt and water pump, and a couple upgrades to the fuel system and intercooler fans. It will be out next summer for another beating. It has definitely turned a few heads when we go play with it.

I've had mine in the dunes over in St. Anthony, but I stayed close to the lake. For those of you not familiar with St. Anthony, yes, there is a lake in the middle of the dunes. Even then, I was paranoid of getting stuck in the dry, soft sand. If you're driving in the sand, keep a close watch on those CV axles. If they tear, like mine did, you'll have a big problem. I steered clear of sand last year because both of my boots are all torn up. Replacing axles may not be so bad, but I hate to think what might happen if you manage to get sand in the transmission.

I'd almost be willing to bet his gas mileage improved. Keep in mind, this isn't a super charger that is belt driven. Think about the 86 Buick Regal, or any Pontiac with a 3.8 liter engine, compared to the twin turbo Grand National. They all have the same 3.8 liter engine. The 86 regal got around 18 to 20mpg. My daily driver 96 Pontiac Bonneville can get around 25 mpg. My buddy's 87 Grand National with twin turbos was getting 30mpg. More power, same weight, and possibly some tuning = better fuel economy. The power to weight ratio is a huge factor in fuel economy. Corvettes get around 27mpg with their beastly V8 motors.

Diesel trucks such as 18-wheelers and Japanese box trucks commonly run twin turbos for the purpose of increasing fuel economy. I also think they run them so they can pass my pathfinder on the interstate, and make me feel bad.

He said that the stock fuel pump can't keep up above a certain boost level. I don't think it's an increase, at least not when using all the power.

I don't think it's an increase, at least not when using all the power.

Well, yeah, when he's throwing rooster tails and launching from dunes he's not exactly hypermiling. But it couldn't do that stuff before. I figure what it could do before (normal driving) it does more efficiently now with the higher compression ratio.

Slick250, want to end this discussion?

• 4 weeks later...

I've had mine in the dunes over in St. Anthony, but I stayed close to the lake. For those of you not familiar with St. Anthony, yes, there is a lake in the middle of the dunes. Even then, I was paranoid of getting stuck in the dry, soft sand. If you're driving in the sand, keep a close watch on those CV axles. If they tear, like mine did, you'll have a big problem. I steered clear of sand last year because both of my boots are all torn up. Replacing axles may not be so bad, but I hate to think what might happen if you manage to get sand in the transmission.

I cant imagine what you would have to do to get sand in the trans.

• 3 weeks later...