back with new project

robg

I just purchased a 1995 Pathfinder se with sport package for $500 , my new project, needs reverse band fixed ( no reverse) and a few things only one small rust hole in frame and a good clean up, 211,000 km. Should be a great suv to replace my 1998 pathfinder se

Edited by robg

Congrats on the next pathy. Remember, loosing reverse is often a symptom of the radiator/tranny cooler clogging and the tranny overheating. Make sure to address this when the tranny is being fixed!! Most of us bypass the stock cooler and pipe straight to an aftermarket cooler.

B

I just purchased a 1995 Pathfinder se with sport package for $500 , my new project, needs reverse band fixed ( no reverse) and a few things only one small rust hole in frame and a good clean up, 211,000 km. Should be a great suv to replace my 1998 pathfinder se

You are replacing a 98 pathy with a 95? I'm not saying you "downgraded" or anything, just wondering what happened to the 98?

It's actually not the transmission over heating.

The cooler becomes clogged, and then the transmission is not able to hold the line pressure required for reverse, so the clutches start slipping until they just fail altogether. If i remember right, the pressure for reverse is 1.5-2x that needed for any of the forward gears.

You are replacing a 98 pathy with a 95? I'm not saying you "downgraded" or anything, just wondering what happened to the 98?

Drive a wd21... you'll understand

welcome, bring pics and bypass that stock cooler! I hear they are garbage on those autos!

• 1 month later...

I needed the money for my business and sold my 98, But just got a ~95 for a project ($500 bucks) and now a ~92 for parts, swapping the ~92s 5spd into the `95 right now

Drive a wd21... you'll understand

welcome, bring pics and bypass that stock cooler! I hear they are garbage on those autos!

going one better, the auto tranny in my `95 was worse than I was hoping after getting it out so I found a `92 pathfinder with a 5spd and now converting my `95 to a 5spd.

Will post some pics as I have now just purchased a `92 for $250 bucks with a 5spd will be converting my `95 to a 5spd thanks everyone the fun is just beginning,

Some prefer a truck frame with suspension arms vs a unibody with struts.

• 2 weeks later...

Transmission is in, and now just putting the rest of the pieces back together in the interior , will have pics soon....

Edited by robg