Moving To New Servers!
Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

SAS and engine swap WD21

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Citron

Citron

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 PM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:1992

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

The problem is with two letters, GM.

That's all I've got.

#82 OFFLINE   daver123

daver123

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 PM
  • Year:1995

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Fair enough. I'm looking at newer pumps than the stock 95 Pathfinder unit. I think the 2004 and older XTerras have a possible donor. They still use a similar PS box to the original Pathfinder ones and their PS pumps might be a good match, possibly new and improved too.

#83 OFFLINE   Citron

Citron

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 PM
  • Year:1992

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

I thought the first gen x and wd21 had the same pump, just in a different spot.

#84 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
  • Year:1993

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

What fluid are you running? I know Honda pumps don't work right without their own eleven-herbs-and-spices PSF, maybe GM's the same way. I know both of my friend's 4.3-powered rigs leak take PSF rather than the ATF the WD21 specs. Or, like you said, could just be a flow thing; maybe the Saginaw box that pump was built for has bigger guts and requires greater volume but lower pressure than the Nissan box.

I read on here that 94+ OE pumps were better, looks like you found that thread too. I got curious and had a look at some FSMs to see what the power steering pressure is supposed to be. Full lock, engine idling:

'89 Pathy: 1,109-1,194 PSI

'95 Pathy: 1,109-1,194 PSI

'97 Pathy: 1,251-1,337 PSI

'01 Xterra: 1,095-1,209 PSI

'03 Pathy: 1,251-1,337 PSI

Interesting that '89 and '95 are the same, given the other thread. Maybe they differ in flow, which I see no mention of in the manual. Either way, looks like an R50 pump should be an upgrade. Might even come with a ribbed pulley to match the serp I assume your 4.3l is running.

Looking at this thread on Pirate, I'm also seeing some Saginaw P-boxes with higher numbers.

#85 OFFLINE   Cuong Nguyen

Cuong Nguyen

Mr. RTI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 PM
  • Model:XE

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

Funny, I converted to an xterra pump based on what Nissan nut's experience. Hoped it was worth it. I did take pictures of the internals between the two for comparison which can be found on photobucket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#86 OFFLINE   daver123

daver123

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

What fluid are you running? I know Honda pumps don't work right without their own eleven-herbs-and-spices PSF, maybe GM's the same way. I know both of my friend's 4.3-powered rigs leak take PSF rather than the ATF the WD21 specs. Or, like you said, could just be a flow thing; maybe the Saginaw box that pump was built for has bigger guts and requires greater volume but lower pressure than the Nissan box.

I read on here that 94+ OE pumps were better, looks like you found that thread too. I got curious and had a look at some FSMs to see what the power steering pressure is supposed to be. Full lock, engine idling:

'89 Pathy: 1,109-1,194 PSI

'95 Pathy: 1,109-1,194 PSI

'97 Pathy: 1,251-1,337 PSI

'01 Xterra: 1,095-1,209 PSI

'03 Pathy: 1,251-1,337 PSI

Interesting that '89 and '95 are the same, given the other thread. Maybe they differ in flow, which I see no mention of in the manual. Either way, looks like an R50 pump should be an upgrade. Might even come with a ribbed pulley to match the serp I assume your 4.3l is running.

Looking at this thread on Pirate, I'm also seeing some Saginaw P-boxes with higher numbers.

I was doing some parts research on rock auto and it would seem that the 04 and earlier Xterras use a very similar steering box to the first gen pathy's. The r50 uses rack and pinion, not sure how different the flow and pressure requirements are.

That or just dig up a 95 pathy ps pump. just thought it would be better to try and rob a newer pump from a 04 xterra.

Good thread on pirate4x4 though, I just think I trust the nissan pump more than trying to make a gm pump play nice with the stock steering box.

#87 OFFLINE   daver123

daver123

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

Funny, I converted to an xterra pump based on what Nissan nut's experience. Hoped it was worth it. I did take pictures of the internals between the two for comparison which can be found on photobucket

I would like to see those pics but photobucket is dead to me.

#88 OFFLINE   Cuong Nguyen

Cuong Nguyen

Mr. RTI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:56 AM

I would like to see those pics but photobucket is dead to me.

Here is the link: http://s2.photobucke...wersteeringpump

The truck could really benefit from power steering cooler. The reservoir gets really hot that I can't even touch.

#89 OFFLINE   daver123

daver123

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

Here is the link: http://s2.photobucke...wersteeringpump

The truck could really benefit from power steering cooler. The reservoir gets really hot that I can't even touch.

Good reference material. I think I am definitely going to track down an Xterra pump, and get a cooler. Just need some money and time. Maybe next month...

Do you know which year you got yours from and how many grooves on that serp pulley? The 4.3L is 6 groove.

Edited by daver123, 20 August 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#90 OFFLINE   Cuong Nguyen

Cuong Nguyen

Mr. RTI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

I have no idea how many grooves. I'm guessing 5. The VG33 guys could help you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA