SAS and engine swap WD21

The fronts are a progressive 215/300 and are 22.5" free length from James Duff and the rears are 190 or 200 and are 23.5" free length from Bronco Graveyard. I may have to get firmer springs in the rear to even out the flex but I will see how she handles on the trail. I need to change the rear end a bit before im done anyhow, it sits a couple inches too low compared to the front.

i bought some prog. 22" coils day after my question :)

imag0069k.jpg

like your project, waiting for progress ;)

Progress as of late has been slowed by financial issues and attendance to school. Most of the recent work is engine electrical so not much to show. I wont likely start working on it again until the spring.

• 3 months later...
I hope by some time in February to start working on it again, damn money and personal life getting in the way. All I want to do is 4x4 is that so much to ask?

I hear ya there my freakin life is slowing my progress and the wife bitches when i spend the whole weekend in the garage!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The AA O/D is not only important to obtain a highway gear with the idea of perhaps saving some fuel, but a critical extension to the drive train to push the transmission back an extra 7.5" so that the shifter comes out of the floor and not the dash.

On a separate note there has been progress and the beast lives. She took her first breath last weekend. Been to busy to post. I will have some more photos and maybe a video if I can soon. Very satisfying feeling hearing the motor run after doing so much electrical and only having two main bugs in the system, both of which are annoying but not critical to engine operation. The oil pressure warning light and the tach didnt do what they are supposed to. oil light is fix but the tach needs attention. I had a problem with the oil pressure sending unit leaking oil through the wiring plug and a coolant leak but other than a timing adjustment she fired up first shot.

I have come to the conclusion as well that the front suspension and steering need to be reworked a little. The three link setup is fine, but the panhard is too short and high and is causing steering geometry issues. The steering itself needs some attention, also geometry issues. I need to build a drop pitman arm to correct this. Other than that, just need to get drive shafts built $$$ :$ so that might be a little bit of a wait and then the drive train is mostly done. Still lots of other details before its road ready.

Thank you dedicated followers, I will try to keep you up to date as I am back in build mode.

Edited by daver123

• 1 month later...

After much delay here is a quick video of the engine finally running.

th_IMG_1344.jpg

And this is how I made the tach work, by bypassing the computer and putting a low pass filter in line instead. Works great. I would be happy to give the wiring specs to anyone needing to clean up a tach signal from an HEI.

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

• 1 year later...

Time really slips away from me these days. Anyhow been busy. Got more build pics finally. I have the old girl to the point of being mobile but not road ready. So this is what has been accomplished as of late.

-Bumpers done sprayed with linex, with winch and lights installed.

-SYE installed

-Custom driveshafts installed

-Rebuilt custom gauge cluster

-Replumbed crossover pipe

-Got 35" General AT2 tires

-Speedo now works with the help of a dakota digital box

-Hood scoop installed, non-functional, just for clearance

-Interior painted with bedliner, and the interior is now complete.

-Made changes to the transfer case shift linkage, work properly now

Anyhow here are some pics and a video.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_2428.jpgIMG_1628-1.jpg

Maiden Voyage

IMG_2443-1.jpg20140814_184955-1.jpg20140814_185013-1.jpg

http://vid45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/daver123/Forum%20pics/20140814_184836.mp4

IMG_2616-1.jpg

What it looks like near an old kia sportage

IMG_2626-1.jpg

Still need to do some body work and put fender flares on. Also needs swaybars for which I'm currently building a highly experimental disconnect system. Still chasing a few engine issues, some sensor is unhappy or something.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good to hear that your Pathy is still alive tmoore.

Progress has been slow lately on mine. I had an electrical gremlin that had me confused for quite some time and I was just getting nowhere. The old money train also stopped for a while so that didn't help, plus asked the GF to marry me so the knife got twisted on this project a little more. I move the rig from my folks place to my new place so now I can pick away at it more frequently.

I found out that my electrical gremlin was a faulty pickup coil and the codes were a VSS input issue. So now I have been sorting out the DOT issues to make it street legal. Flares and flaps are on it now. Welded in 1.5" strips of 2 gauge stainless steel to screw the plastic to. I got some advice on the street legal-ness of my rig from a local 4x4 shop, EBI Cruisers (specializes in Land Cruisers ,but nobody is perfect) and had them make a custom steering link.

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

Got to test drive it on Sunday, put her through her paces. So far so good. couple of squeaks and rattles but nothing that cant be drowned out with the sound system :laugh: . I was a little concerned about the temperature when it was working hard but apparently around 210F is normal for the 4.3L. More testing needed. Even with the deep gears I got on the highway and can keep up in the slow lane. Probably be drafting semis everywhere I go :shiftyeyes:

Still have plans to rework the tire carrier. I am using my old 4runner's tire carrier for donor parts.

• 1 month later...

Wow, great project and build.

I'm also in the process of SASing my 97 Hardbody/Terrano/Parthfinder (depending where you are from. LOL)

I'm feeling way better about my two year build when looking at your time line, thanks for the inspiration.

Mine has its own set of challenges. Firtsly, its my daily driver and has not been off the road and out of use for more than a month. That was when we did the initial cut out of the IFS.

I opted for the simple and cheap leaf sprung setup for the front.

But typical my style, I had to complicate the build by going right hand drop on the front and rear and using Patrol MQ diffs. C200 up front and H260 on the rear.

Patrol TC behind the standard TX10 TC and tranny of my 2,7TD engine.

Well that's mostly the plan. Front axle is in and we have it running stable.

Some work on the rear diff and the drive shafts to mate a Patrol TC to the TX10. Patrol and D21 wheelbase and track are the same, but I moved the front axle out by 2,5" to take the 33" rubber.

Have to start relocating exhaust and fuel tank to make place for the drive train.

And all the while, we drive it every day.

9f4827e6d80ba74202ec9bf197746365.jpg

Very jealous of that long arm flex. Already planning the next mod, and this one's not even done yet.

35ce70dd8831922f053a5ac27f8e87ee.jpg

Keep up the great work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Edited by ABCAB

• 2 weeks later...

2 years is not bad at all if you are driving everyday and doing little pieces at a time. I was just fortunate to not have any urgency to get it done and had bought a 4Runner for my daily driver and occasional off-road excursions. It really allowed me to do everything the way I wanted it.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice proyect!!!!!

Thanx, Progress is not as obvious anymore mostly just working out the bugs. My biggest bug is sorting out some computer programing issues. The last 2 noticable mods are on the way. I rebuilt the tire carrier its getting powder coated and then paint for the sides of the truck to cover up the body work. I did install a VHF radio as well.

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1705_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Daver123, your lift looks about what mine has ended up to be. I am not happy with where my leaf SAS has ended up. The handling is a problem and it looks like I may have a problem with the way the additional blade with military wrap. The eyes do not allow any movement over the first blade and hence a bunch of binding. I actually think a lot of the weight is now supported by binding instead of spring tension.

I am on my way to go cut the eyes off the military wrap, but could end up with my van sitting on the bump stops.

Will a three link with panhard have the basic geometry as yours on the chassis mounts and length of arms?

Is it possible to get some measurements from you with regards positioning of your arms on the chassis and angles.

As you know this is my daily driver and time in the garage needs to be kept to a minimum. My budget is also, as usual, zero, but I have a set of coils front and rear from a 4.8 Patrol I hope to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I can get some measurements but I have done a lot of modification to the frame and the fact that I have a non-stock motor in there as well means that the measurements that I get may not be terribly helpful in your setup. I'm unfamiliar with the terminology you are using to describe your current setup, I'm not sure what a military wrap is? Is that a leaf sprung setup?