Short ram intake

Kinda bad quality video but what can you do, i noticed a very big improvment in the gas milage, feels way more powerful than befor, if you have not done this mod its a must! when i have the time im going to gut the stock intake thats still in there and customize it like silvapath did with the cold air tubeing. sounds way better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwFlccwk2s

Edited by Roxanne97

Kinda bad quality video but what can you do, i noticed a very big improvment in the gas milage, feels way more powerful than befor, if you have not done this mod its a must! when i have the time im going to gut the stock intake thats still in there and customize it like silvapath did with the cold air tubeing. sounds way better.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/12/ehm.mp4/

Vid doesn't work.

It;s great to see some ingenuity. But the MAF in that location like that is probably not the best thing to have. You could have bought a MAF adapter for $5 off ebay. Either way, let us know the long term results (like in 2 weeks) of how its goingand get some real MPG numbers.

Jose

Brilliant thanks mate!!!

I've been looking for a cold air intake system for the R50!!

So simple, yet effective

Edited by Westy

Sounds great! Definitely get rid of that "S" intake pipe. It's way too restrictive and you'll notice an even bigger difference. I did this years ago but I found a cheap straight pipe off of Ebay that had 2 vacuum ports to it and used that for set up along with my JWT Popcharger. IIRC it was like around $20.

2011-05-10_17-47-32_397.jpg?t=1305085626

yeo 180 is scaring me i dont even want to drive my pathy anymore whats so bad with my maf sensor chillin there?

It's hard for me to see in the vid but it looks like you made a hole in the factory... eh, we'll call it the plastic accordion tube for the MAF. My personal concern would be air leaks, as well as the sensor not sitting in the engineered passage way anymore. What your MAF WAS mounted in was carefully engineered as far as shape and diameter in order to provide the correct velocity and turbulence, (or lack of) of the air flowing past the sensor, that's what I think anyway. Think of it like a venturi in a carburetor.

Also how well is the MAF mounted to your setup? Could it come off while wheeling on a washboard forest service road?

Yup, this is my main concern also. Changing what the MAF sits in can change air readings dramatically. And being thats its in the rubber thing, makes for leak possibilities (how is that mounted in there anyway?). I say 2 weeks not to scare, but to let us know if the results of this mod are faverobile or not. I always give myself 2 weeks after I do something to re-evaluate and see if it was worth the time/money/effort or not. You say you hope for more MPG's. Give the ECU 2 weeks to work this setup in, and then let us know the MPG's you are getting.

Jose

well its a very small whole in the rubber tubbing i put the maf sensor in i doubt it leaks that much its pretty tight, and my gas milage is unreal, its been exactly a week since the install and i havnt noticed any change than from when i installed it.

well its a very small whole in the rubber tubbing i put the maf sensor in i doubt it leaks that much its pretty tight, and my gas milage is unreal, its been exactly a week since the install and i havnt noticed any change than from when i installed it.

Sounds about right... I had a SRI on my 97 Pathfinder and my 01 Pathfinder and saw no mileage benefit, or throttle response like some people claim. I did it for the sound and I got the sound and was happy...

Well try this if you do it. (note, this is all theory in my head and from reading random internets)***Put the MAF in a tube that has an inside diameter a little bigger (no more than an inch) and your milage may go up. Our engines (well, most engines for that matter) run rich. Enlarge the hole, and the sensor thinks it's getting less air than it really is, effectively leaning it out. Well, you don't have to try it. Only safe way to do it would be to get an A/F ratio gauge with a wideband O2 to see what is actually going on.

Jose

i wouldn't expect any change in the MPG or performance until you modify the whole system...

IE. Air intake, Extractors (headers) AND Exhuast.

Air in, Air out.... once you get this sorted then you should notice considerable changes in performance at least.