Truck just cut out....

HitMan

So I was driving today in heavy traffic in the DC area (anyone who lives there knows what I'm talking about) and had been driving for about 3 hours that morning and was back in the truck for another hour and a half sitting in bumper to bumper traffic inching home and it just cut out. I have no idea how or why it did. It would start back up and then cut back out in a few seconds. Temp was fine, had 3/4 tank of gas. So being stuck in the middle of traffic I opened the hood to see what was up and everything looked exactly fine. I'm thinking the fuel pump is dying. I ended up starting it up and having to keep it reved up in neutral and shift to drive and then shift back to neutral to rev it up again so it wouldn't die. Once i got going again it was fine driving and then it cut out again when I slowed down to turn. Any other ideas of whats going on other than the fuel pump? I replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago. Thanks.

distributor.... just had the same problem not too long ago....

Really, would have never thought that. It runs smoothly and it doesn't sound like a miss fire?

I also thought that if the fuel pump was dying the fuel gauge was the first to go? Am I wrong in saying that. Mine still reads fine.

Edited by HitMan

The fuel gauge uses a sending unit and its operation has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

I'd check fuel pressure, preferably with a gauge. If a gauge is not available try feeling the fuel lines to guesstimate if you have adequate pressure. Hell, try changing the fuel filter first, even. If you run down to empty often this can hasten buildup in the filter because sediment can be sucked in from the bottom of the fuel tank.

No engine codes? Make sure your SES bulb works by engaging parking brake and setting ignition to "ON". :shrug: Perhaps try cleaning your MAF sensor too and verify that the IACV's harness is connected (maybe unplug and replug).

no check engine light and I actually removed the distributor cap to make sure it looked right. No problems I could tell. I let the truck cool down and started it up again. It ran for about a minute and then cut out again. It has to be the fuel pump or a clog in the line. I'll check it more in the morning when I have some real light.

So I couldn't figure it out, so I took it to a shop and they found that one of the wires from the wiring harness to the MAF was frayed so it was shorting out and causing the truck to stall. It's getting re-wired and is all set. Weird problem that I would have prob. never saw myself. Its much cheaper than a fuel pump...