Nissan to recall 195,000 Pathfinder, QX4 SUV's

My '98 Pathfinder (196,000 Chicago miles) was taken to the dealer in April 2011 when I spotted the recall recommendation on the NHTSB website. The dealer wasn't even aware of this specific recall at that moment. Still, they looked, and confirmed it was a real recall.

So, off I go in a loaner/rental 2011 Nissan Rogue, at Nissan expense.

Repeated calls to Nissan throughout the summer resulted in no information on the PF's status.

Well, here it is November 2011. (6 months have passed.)

Just got a call from Nissan's agent. They said the car is not repairable and they were preparing a buyback offer.

I checked the Kelly Bluebook for value and it came up around $1800-2000 USD.

However, they offered $4200 USD.

And we've been driving the Rogue the whole time.

All in all, not a bad deal !

Still, I'm now minus a much-needed vehicle, and what can you get for $4200 ?

Maybe you can buy another R50 that needs to go in for the recall for $2000 and get another $4200 for it? If you do this for all 195000 pathfinders being recalled, you could earn over $200 million.

Maybe you can buy another R50 that needs to go in for the recall for $2000 and get another $4200 for it? If you do this for all 195000 pathfinders being recalled, you could earn over $200 million.

:rofl:

Just as an FYI. My dads pathy got bought out and he got 5500. It was a 2000 XE 5 speed. The fenders were fairly rusty and it had 300,000kms

My '98 Pathfinder (196,000 Chicago miles) was taken to the dealer in April 2011 when I spotted the recall recommendation on the NHTSB website. The dealer wasn't even aware of this specific recall at that moment. Still, they looked, and confirmed it was a real recall.

So, off I go in a loaner/rental 2011 Nissan Rogue, at Nissan expense.

Repeated calls to Nissan throughout the summer resulted in no information on the PF's status.

Well, here it is November 2011. (6 months have passed.)

Just got a call from Nissan's agent. They said the car is not repairable and they were preparing a buyback offer.

I checked the Kelly Bluebook for value and it came up around $1800-2000 USD.

you can find good cars/trucks for $4200...your just gonna have to shop around pretty hard...

i bought a '97 BMW 328i for $3000 and only have $500 in it...and with a 100k on the clock, i couldnt pass it up.

if i were you id look for a WD21 or a frontier...unless your looking for a good mpg car...

I just received news that I could not have my 97 SE pathfinder back and I'll tell you point blank Nissan's buy back process is extortion!! The person I spoke with started at 3,9XX and I expressed that that was insane just put a new muffler on over the summer, after market remote start, yada, yada and they came up in price twice to just over $5K but my feeling is since they started low-balling off the bat, they are definitely are shafting the customer!! This is not my own doing such as trying to get a trade in because I WANT to buy a new car!! I don't want a car payment, have not had one in seven years plus if not for Nissan's error I could have driven this SUV at least five to eight more years as this is not my daily vehicle. I'm with the other poster who mentioned a replacement vehicle ( not NEW of course ) to something equivalent.

I know of two folks ( confirmed via phone call ) that had similar recalls with Toyotas and one payoff on 99 Tacoma $14K and a 97 for $10K. What does that tell you about Nisaan and how they feel about their customers?? They don't give a @#%! about them.

Will I buy Nissan again..... heh! TCSIUTA!!!

• 4 weeks later...

For all you folks unhappy with the outcome of your Morely buyback.... Nissan is not hearing about it!! , this is from the conversation I had this AM on the phone. IMO - To Morely, you are just a case number and a soon to be crushed vehicle. I finally had someone call me back from consumer affairs named Karen and told my story of how this buy back is a slap in the face and Toyota was treating their customers right giving enough money to actually go and buy a replacement vehicle. Remember folks, if you don't speak up to Nissan you won't be heard on these forums. Call the consumers affairs at least twice and ask to speak with someone, they'll probably send you a survey and when they do.... let them have it.

Speak up and maybe Nissan will get the message! Vehicles can last 20 years easily as I have a 92 sentra still kicking!

• 2 weeks later...

a month ago i bought a 2002 pathfinder to replace my 95 that the frame had broke on. now i see this tread, call the dealership and the recall hasn't been performed on my truck. so we will see on the 26th if i get to keep my truck. sad part is my wife loves this truck and will be pissed if they take it. i know it has been in iowa its whole life, so i have to say im a little nervous. :unsure:

Buy a WD21? LoL :tongue:

• 8 months later...

does anyone know if they recalled 95 or earlier trucks for same issue ? ... thank you !

95's and earlier models are built differently. They (WD21) are body on frame which incorporate shocks on all four corners. The 96+ are unibody and have struts in the front.

*edit ... I forgot to mention that "no", they did not have the same recall for your Pathy. :)

Edited by devonianwalk

• 1 month later...

My pathy was originally from NH and it was there for the first 9 years and then spent about seven years in south Florida where rust really doesn't exist. Since I've moved back up north east and I was slightly worried. I noticed surface rust on the towers. Took her into Nissan and it was only a lvl 1 repair so I lucked out :) got home and bedlined everywhere under the truck I could. Will be giving it a underbody wash weekly and it'll be good for a long time!

• 11 months later...

SOrry to revive an old thread. but remembering/reading about this recall now that i have a 98' and i don't know wehre it came from. i'm worried. Is this something to be worried about? looks like something is cracking/coming undone? :(

1239604_570559679647831_497968646_n.jpg

1176253_570559669647832_1893938423_n.jpg

1237008_570559726314493_494343734_n.jpg1240425_570559782981154_922126792_n.jpg1187246_570559812981151_72715185_n.jpg

Pics you posted look very minor.

Should get a reinforcement plate installed (insist this level is done, they have an option to not install if they feel its not required) and a simple repair.

People have a lot worse than you.

aru2u3u2.jpg

• 2 months later...

What was your reasonable

offer?

Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience from Canada:

My 98 had rusted through on the driver's side strut tower. I brought it in to the local dealer for assessment after the former owner notified me of the recall (nice thing to do).

A day or two later the dealer told me it wasn't drive-able but repairable. I was put in a rental (Enterprise, Maxima) and told to wait.

A few days later things really turned south. They brought in the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles inspector to consult on the "kit", because technically fibreglass cannot be used as repair on car frame components in Nova Scotia. His job was to sign off on the repair design as OEM and provide me with a letter to prove the repair was road legal. While he was in the shop, he pulled the sticker off of my Pathy (in NS, we have bi-annual inspection stickers), because of the recall issue as well as some brake issues. I had known about the brake issues, and was waiting to fix them myself once I knew the recall issue was going to be fixed.

The dealer then called to say that Nissan had decided to not cover the recall, because the recall only pertained to insured and stickered vehicles. They wanted me to come tow my vehicle off the lot. You wouldn't believe how steamed I was. I called the Nissan Inc call centre, and they said I should sit tight, and they would look into it some more.

Fast forward another week, and I am on vacation with my family. I get calls from the dealer and nissan demanding the rental be returned, and that I would be responsible for paying the rental if it wasn't returned a.s.a.p. I ended up spending an entire day of my vacation on the phone with Nissan and the dealer trying to sort everything out. They "allowed" me to keep the rental until the following Monday, but they weren't going to budge on the recall work. They offered me 1000 bucks and "special" pricing on a brand new nissan. You can roll into any dealership with anything on 4 wheels and get 1000 bucks minimum trade.

Fast forward another week, and I ask for the offer in writing, because I was tired of dealing with the whole mess. I get completely different responses every time I call, from "it was supposed to be emailed yesterday", to "I have no idea what your talking about, there is no offer." (quotes are paraphrased)

Fast forward to this week, when I email the dealer who calls me to inform me that Nissan has hired an appraisal company to value the vehicle.

In the end the appraisal company calls me to say the pathfinder isn't repairable, and they offered me a more than acceptable buy out offer. I signed the truck over yesterday, and I am waiting for the cheque in the mail.

Somehow after almost two months of total bull@!*% and frustration, things worked out ok.