on board air from stock AC compressor

schro

I'm considering doing this to my '95.

I live in Vancouver and don't need air conditioning anyways.

Has anyone attempted this, and what problems did you encounter?

My plan is to put a filter and an in-line oiler (air tool oiler) on the inlet to the AC compressor, and a coalescing (particulate and oil) filter on the outlet.

I will bypass the low pressure switch in the AC clutch circuit (if there is one) and add a pressure switch connected to a 3 to 5 gallon aluminum receiver tank bolted to the underside of the body.

The rest of the wiring will be from the stock AC wiring so turning on the Air will be done by hitting the AC switch. This will also enable compressor cut-out at high throttle so that the 'air compressor' will not rob the engine of power when driving under high load.

Waddaya think?

Edited by schro

It would be so much easier to find a Sanden air compressor DS507 or SD508.

These compressors are so much easier to modify so that you do not need an in-line oiler etc. They have a oil sump in them that's replaced with high temp grease. Do some research on them, easily found in the US too.

I have one to put in my TD27 truck at some stage, but I am keeping the stock one too, just going to lower the stock one and put the Sanden one in between the stock and the alternator. The Diesel trucks have a slightly different set-up from the petrols.

Sounds pretty solid. If you can get your hands on an older Ford F100 York AC compressor, those work awesome and pump a lot of air. Vancouver, WA or B.C.?

B.C.

Worst that happens is it don't work and you go back to square 1 :shrug:

I've though of using an old air shock electric pump for a Lincoln I have laying around but ain't sure if it would even make enough air to be useful for anything...

Ok, that's what you are thinking, but are you going to explain at all please?

Pumping air and pumping freon are two different things. The compressor can fail if not used as intended. You will also get that oil everywhere if you want to pump something with it.

Pumping air and pumping freon are two different things. The compressor can fail if not used as intended. You will also get that oil everywhere if you want to pump something with it.

As stated earlier in another reply... the worst that will happen is that it wont work. However I work in draft beer dispensing and have to deal with compressors and cooling systems on a daily basis, and the refrigeration technicians that i have run this idea by don't see any reason that it wont work. My biggest concern is heat dissipation, since most air compressor heads that i have seen have cooling fins on the pump directly. I don't know if this will be an issue or not, but it will cost me very little to try since I have access to regulators, pressure switches, tanks, and tubing at work. The only thing I will need to buy is the oiler.

The air compressors that came in the GM cars for the leveling suspension systems is what I use in my 90 Sentra to fill my 5 gallon air tank for my air horns, I know Ford uses them also but I have never used the Ford version. The first one I ever used was out of my wife's 85 Olds Tornado. The GM one's are basically the same except for a few differences, the older compressors had a plug that controls the vent feature the newer ones the wires are hardwired, this part doesn't make any difference for my application. I have had a few of them apart and I have seen different piston sizes in various ones also. I modify the head of the compressor by drilling and tapping the metal so I can use a compression fitting for the tubing, tube is from Mack and is 1/4" air brake tubing.

In my setup I use 2 relays to control the compressor, because I use a check valve after the compressor so no air can leak back, I use the vent feature of the compressor to relieve pressure between the compressor and the check valve so 100 PSI isn't trying to work it's way back into the compressor. So I have 2 switches to activate the compressor, first switch sends power to the second relay than depending on if the second switch is up or down I get vent (switch up), compressor pumping (switch down), I don't use a pressure switch because at the time I didn't have one, so this way I turn the compressor on, switch down, than when it reaches 100 PSI on the gauge I flip the switch up to vent, than turn the first switch off killing power to everything, sounds complicated and probably is but it works. Check valve is actually designed for a pressure washer but has worked for years now and is easy to take apart and clean or lube. Haven't tried to run any air tools don't think the small compressor could keep the tank full but could probably fill a tire or two if I had too, Pics below:

Compressor sitting next to spare tire:

6qy8id.jpg

air tank, check valve and old solenoid in trunk:

25qulj9.jpg

air gauge in dash, gauge is now facing upright, autometer:

fzarnd.jpg

Just to complete my post the air horns, wouldn't expect this in a Sentra now would you, LOL:

small horns:

2ef235x.jpg

big horn, "tee'd together with little horns":

90rhvl.jpg

33n8bx0.jpg

brackets mounting big horn are the spacers from a body lift kit for my old Hardbody that were supposed to be put between the bed and the frame, never throw anything away !! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

ever hear the stock horn??

2 air horns, actually they were in my Hardbody and decided one day it would be funny to put them in the Sentra, been there ever since, they may make it over to the pathfinder one day, I'll see.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I think the pathy compressor will fail without A/C lubricant running thru it.

Consider getting a power tank or a small restaurant CO2 bottle?

with both CO2 can be stored as a liquid inside the bottle so the actual volume of compressed gas that comes out of it is tremendous.

One 10lb power tank will air up about 40 tires or 60 with the 15lb. And it will High demand air tools without needing a big reservoir like compressed air setups do.

What Makes Power Tank The Best Overall Option For Onboard Air?

Power Tank has the power and speed of an engine-driven compressor and the portability and lower cost of most 12v air compressors. Very few air compressors can match both the flow rate and high pressure of the Power Tank. The Power Tank's SuperFlow Regulator is adjustable from 0 to more than 200 psi and the high amount of airflow generated by a fully open regulator is much greater than that achieved by almost all vehicle-mounted air compressors. Power Tank can air up a 33" tire in less than one minute, remove a stuck lug nut in two seconds using a 1/2" impact wrench, and quickly reseat a tire while the wheel is still on the vehicle. Unlike an air compressor, Power Tank is hand portable so you can take it to a friend who is difficult to get to on the trail. No other air system can do all of this - at any price.

http://www.powertank.com/