Door Beep

87SEdan

Ok I searched and didn't come up with anything. Is there a door chime on the 87 pathfinders? I'm watching cops and see this guy who ran but he was in a hardbody, but when he left the door open there was a door chime. It sounded like 2 bells. My question is do the 87-95s even come with a door chime? It's possible mine went a long time ago.

Yes...there is a door chime like you've described. If yours isn't working try spraying some lube on the button in the drivers side door frame in the lower right hand corner. Or contact your local Welcome Wagon Representative !!! LOL.

It also activates the dome light as well. ( I think ) Mine works intermittently when its extremely cold outside it usually doesn't chime.

Hope that helps.

Yes the chimer is in the driver's side foot kick panel and it's one of the most annoying things of life. I ripped mine out.

It does not activate the door lights, that's the plunger sticking out below the body door latch.

• Like 1

This may explain why my dome lights want to stay on all the time, that and my hatch clicking locked but not staying shut. Thanks guys, ill take a look this weekend. Ah the joys of a 24 year old vehicle. By the time it gets done ill be able to take it apart and put it back together again.

It does get annoying but instead of ripping it out you can unplug it from the ignition switch under the column. This way the bell will still warn you about leaving the headlights on (if your wife drives your truck) but won't annoy you when the key is in the ignition and the door open.

James

This way the bell will still warn you about leaving the headlights on (if your wife drives your truck) but won't annoy you when the key is in the ignition and the door open..... Does this work for your 'wife' as well ???!!! LOL.

The other common problem with dome lights is the hatch switch, it fails and makes both front and rear lights stay on all the time. Good luck!

Are you referring to the 'switch' on the rear light itself? Or is there another button or switch for the rear cargo hatch somewhere? I noticed that my rear dome light will only illuminate when the rear door/ hatch is open, if the i move the toggle switch on the light itself. Is this normal ?

I bet it's the same as my '91, on the latch for the rear hatch there is a switch that gets pushed back when the door is closed. Over time it doesn't push back far enough making the door think it is always open. This means the light will stay on no matter if the light switch is in the 'ON' or 'Door' position. If the rear light only turns on when the rear hatch is open, it sounds like the switch in the latch works. If the light doesn't turn on when the switch is moved to the 'ON' position it sounds like switch on the light itself is messed up. Here's a picture of the switch on the latch. That black lead attaches to a tab at the bottom of that spring, grounding the circuit to turn the light on.

5644092728_ce43f50d20.jpg

IMG_3414 by josh42_98, on Flickr

I bet it's the same as my '91, on the latch for the rear hatch there is a switch that gets pushed back when the door is closed. Over time it doesn't push back far enough making the door think it is always open. This means the light will stay on no matter if the light switch is in the 'ON' or 'Door' position. If the rear light only turns on when the rear hatch is open, it sounds like the switch in the latch works. If the light doesn't turn on when the switch is moved to the 'ON' position it sounds like switch on the light itself is messed up. Here's a picture of the switch on the latch. That black lead attaches to a tab at the bottom of that spring, grounding the circuit to turn the light on.

5644092728_ce43f50d20.jpg

IMG_3414 by josh42_98, on Flickr

There are 2 positions on the rear overhead light & switch. One position turns the light off completely. The next position turns the light on when the rear hatch is both open and closed. If I leave the switch in that position and close the hatch, the light remains on. I'm wondering if there's a switch that will allow the light to shut off when the hatch is closed, then turn the light back on when the hatch is opened? Like the dome light when you open and close your doors.Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your describing?

I have an 89 SE.

Thanks for the photo though.

I notice a lot of members here including myself will post pictures of actual parts, that were taken when making a specific repair, Maybe creating A specific thread with actual pics with a short description would be a good and helpful idea??

There is a thread somewhere for the rear hatch switch repair, one of the reasons some people get mad and insist people search. Theres more how to's than you could imagine around here :aok: as for the annoying-proof Japan hates us-chimer, I've thrown more of them away than I can count. He'll I've filled em outa parts trucks just out of sheer spite!

This way the bell will still warn you about leaving the headlights on (if your wife drives your truck) but won't annoy you when the key is in the ignition and the door open..... Does this work for your 'wife' as well ???!!! LOL.

Not really, she has the headlight reminder on her van and I still have to jump it off occasionally.

James

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...