performance improvements from exhaust mods

schro

Has anyone actually done before and after dyno tests to see the results from increasing exhaust pipe diameter, or installing high flow cat/muffler/headers?

How about fuel economy?

Or has Nissan actually tuned the stock exhaust system effectively?

I'm looking for measured numbers, not just anecdotal, unconfirmed conjecture and heresay.

Car VQ numbers are probably widely available. Core engine is the same. Some stuff may have been adjusted by Nissan for the Pathy but you should be able to get an idea of the change.

VG may be a different story. I think the VG modifications by model were more significant than for the VQ.

I have a new exhaust on mine, a 2.25" from the y-pipe back. No performance gains IMO, at least not noticeable, but it does sound nice and not having exhaust leaks is a very satisfying thing!!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this isn't what you're looking for but I can tell you for certain that you will notice a power increase with Pacesetter headers, high flow Magnaflow cat, and a Thrush welded 2 chamber muffler with the stock 2" pipe (The muffler is 2 and a 1/4" in and out. Everything else is 2 inch). I know this because that's what I just installed and I do notice more power. It sounds great too. There are some major draw backs to the pacesetter headers but that's another topic.

The only reason I gave my 2cents on my setup is because I highly doubt you'll find actual dyno numbers here.

I know this isn't what you're looking for but I can tell you for certain that you will notice a power increase with Pacesetter headers, high flow Magnaflow cat, and a Thrush welded 2 chamber muffler with the stock 2" pipe (The muffler is 2 and a 1/4" in and out. Everything else is 2 inch). I know this because that's what I just installed and I do notice more power. It sounds great too. There are some major draw backs to the pacesetter headers but that's another topic.

The only reason I gave my 2cents on my setup is because I highly doubt you'll find actual dyno numbers here.

What are the drawback so far?

What are the drawback so far?

Well... build quality: (for 1)

I'm waiting on replacement headers from pacesetter. The first set that they sent me was not useable.

I have it in writing from them that they will inspect the replacement product before shipping..

The headers that they initially sent were so far out of true that you could see it obviously with the naked eye (it was the first thing I saw when I opened the box)

Pacesetter is honouring their warranty, but I had to eat the cost of sending the faulty headers back to them (they will cover return shipping of the warranty product)

The welds on the set that I've seen were not pretty, and there was welding splatter, especially around the EGR port.

If you get the painted ones, it is not a high heat paint: (for 2)

A couple of weeks delay while i wait for ceramic coating on the new ones.

All of that said, I have heard several people on this forum say that they were happy with the Pacesetters (as well as several comments to the contrary) so I guess that it is hit or miss. If they could improve their consistency they would be a good value.

For me personally, this will be the last set of pacesetter headers that I will ever buy, but I could not afford the alternatives this time around.

Not many dyno numbers. Who cares about what a Pathfinder does on the dyno? It's still slow and gutless.

And no, the stock Pathfinder exhaust sucks ass.

X2!

I run Doug Thorley headers (best you can get) and 2.5" SS pipe through to a magnaflow muffler on my '91 auto, and a Flowmaster 50 series to my '92 5 speed. mini me sounds evil good, king sounds good but there's only so much you can do with an auto lol.

I have HP gains with both trucks, King more noticeable power gains(I built Mini Me a new engine that roars & helped with the HP), I had to have King's headers modded extensively to fit where i wanted them, and from cat back, both exhaust systems are custom built to my specs.

There are pics of King's build in my photobucket album, and Tungsten has been using them to build his exhaust similar. I also have video of the sound of both exhausts.

If i was to throw out a HP gain number, i'd say 10-15hp. but the fact these engines thrive on being able to breathe and fart... and running headers cures the snapping stud issue and allows our engines to breathe and fart freely....... :jig:

the Thorley's cost more, but I swear by them. (both my sets are chrome nickle plated)

Thanks for the pics. So explain the header mods please. Is that the original Thorley crossover pipe? I've never seen pics of the Thorley header or the crossover pipe so I'm real curious give then I just install pacesetters on mine. I want to see the differences in the design.

That is the modified cross-over pipe done for her. I have the original and here is how it looks like:

crossoverp.jpg

Any more pics of the crossover collector and were the ends mount to the headers? Looks like it travels along the stock location?

Thanks for the pics. So explain the header mods please. Is that the original Thorley crossover pipe? I've never seen pics of the Thorley header or the crossover pipe so I'm real curious give then I just install pacesetters on mine. I want to see the differences in the design.

on mine it is the original x over pipe... highly modified. the headers were also modified as they had to be lengthened for the lift, then the flanges were re welded on. i had the x over pipe lengthened and bent to tuck up out of the way as much as possible for less damage wheeling. (they have been known to get damaged as in original for the x over pipe hangs just BELOW the level of the cross member)

You have to keep in mind i have 7" of lift (4" SL).... so modification IS absolutely required.... as well as King is also an auto.