STRUTS (ARE THESE OK?)

808R50

Aloha,

Quick question for discussion...

My R50 has a 2in suspension lift. It appears who ever did the kit seemed to know what they were doing so I may be worried about nothing, but what style/brand struts should this thing be running?

Currently has KYB GR-2s. They seem fine, think they're good for some miles yet. I just wonder if they have enough travel.

I pulled them out to get a look at the Strut mounts (which are completely blasted and need replaced)and notice the spring sits all funny. Looks like they really had to compress the spring a bunch to get it all together.

struts1.jpg

struts.jpg

Is there something out there that's got more travel, or is this it?

I pulled them out to get a look at the Strut mounts (which are completely blasted and need replaced)and notice the spring sits all funny. Looks like they really had to compress the spring a bunch to get it all together.

The upper spring perch is installed incorrectly. Note how your spring is cocked on the top coil. There are notches on both the upper and lower perch that should be aligned during re-installation to avoid this.

Aloha! So I take it your in Hawaii? What part?

Anyway.

1. The KYB GR-2 Struts are the best we have for our R50's. So good choice there.

2. Wow, crooked spring. Look at the top of the strut. The mount has 2 letters, 'L' and 'R'. The side the strut is on should have that letter towards the engine. (i.e. drivers side should have 'L' toward the engine.). The spring hat has a 'v' notch in it. This should be lined up with the before said letter.

Hope this helps!

Jose

Man you guys are good!!!

That upper spring perch is way off. I see the notch your talking about, wonder how the last guy coulda missed it. New bushings & isolators should be here monday, I'll be sure to put it back together properly this go round.

Yup Jose, you called it. I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii, Kailua Kona to be exact. Great island for four wheel'n; rock, mud, sand, snow. Can pretty well pick your poison for trails out here. Mahalo's for the help fellas!!! :beer: