No Dash lights? dimmer switch bypass?

fishodeath

So, I have no dash lights in my pathfinder (never had them since I bought it).

I've done some searching, and its NOT the following:

Bulbs - I recently fixed the instrument cluster voltage regulator and checked the bulbs when I had the instrument cluster out, both lit up fine with a 9v.

Fuses - I've checked all these. Also, other things on the same(?) fuse work - taillight etc.

Specifically- All my instrument lights work (e-brake, turn signals, 4x4, brights, etc.) Its just the tach/speedo lights that don't come on. Also the in-dash brake indicator doesn't light up... But the actual tail lights do light up. After some searching I'm wondering if my dimmer switch is bad? I pulled it out and looked at it and cleaned it with no luck.

So I have two questions:

1- Does this sound like the dimmer switch?

2- I've read you can just bypass it to get the dash lights back (as a temp solution while looking for a replacement). Anyone know which wires to connect to do this? I saw a Black, A Pink/Black, and two Pink/Blues running into the dimmer. I'm scared to just cross two wires w/o being sure...

Any help would be appreciated!

never heard of dimmers going bad before but it does look like the problem in this case

try a voltmeter first to see if any power is going from the dimmer switch or from the harness that connects to the switch

Edited by Tungsten

You say you tested the bulbs when you replaced the regulator, but did you actually test there was power to the copper circutry on the cluster? I suspect you have a broken track on it somewhere or a break in your harness.

It's time to start fault finding with your multi meter I am afraid.

Well I got more info now-

Two of the 4 wires in the harness for the dimmer switch go to 12v when the running lights or lights are on. Assuming black is ground, then the final wire goes to the dash lights?

The dimmer switch did ramp the voltage between two of the pins as I spin the wheel when I tested it with a 9v and the multimeter. But I can't figure out what the 4th pin is for. Either way, seems like the dimmer is good? So I guess my problem is between the dash lights and the dimmer switch... I don't really want to pull out the entire dash... :(