3.3L 2003 engine interferance? (broken Tbelt)

lunchindabox

Yeah it's interference. I think it would be cheaper to check the pistons for damage and if they're good (theres a chance they are) you can put some new heads on it or rebuild your current ones.

I have found info stating both interference and non interference. I know the design is the same but the VG33 cams have less lift than the VG30. Lunchindabox, how about just put a new belt on it so we can see?

James

Why didn't they just put slightly bigger cutouts in the pistons to get rid of this problem? Interference engines frustrate me, but probably I just don't understand the rationale... From my measurements the VG30 is barely interference... only the intake valves would hit, and then not by much.

Why didn't they just put slightly bigger cutouts in the pistons to get rid of this problem? Interference engines frustrate me, but probably I just don't understand the rationale... From my measurements the VG30 is barely interference... only the intake valves would hit, and then not by much.

They hit under the force of the engine running, but not spinning crank and cams by hand. If I remember right, there's roughly 1/32" clearance between the piston and valve on a 9:1 VG engine.

The quest one I think was made to be non interference. Maybe so when the family gets stranded on the side of the road they don't need a new engine too. :lol:

I can tell you the quest is non interference because I was a lazy ass and didn't change the belt on my wife's 01 quest until it broke at 118K, no bent valves.

James

Here is what I got...

I am trying to figure out if this is an interference motor or not in this Nissan...conflicting info on the pathfinder and frontier forums...and everywhere else for that matter as seen above. I think officially it is interference...but a good portion of people who just slap a belt on end up okay. Does that even make sense?

This might might be worth a shot if I can slap a belt on. Or I can pay the shop ~$500 and gamble since I generally don't get my hands dirty...and if it fails...I can always just pay the shop to do the heads I guess...

And a pic of the beast being pulled by the other beast.

32df1a9d.jpg

They hit under the force of the engine running, but not spinning crank and cams by hand. If I remember right, there's roughly 1/32" clearance between the piston and valve on a 9:1 VG engine.

Interesting... how does it happen... do the valves move further with the "fast" push of the rocker or something? Even if thats the case though, wouldn't you expect them just to "bounce off" the pistons without causing a problem? I thought the problem with interference was that there was no way for the engine to revolve without stuff getting bent, but if you can turn it by hand...

Interesting... how does it happen... do the valves move further with the "fast" push of the rocker or something? Even if thats the case though, wouldn't you expect them just to "bounce off" the pistons without causing a problem? I thought the problem with interference was that there was no way for the engine to revolve without stuff getting bent, but if you can turn it by hand...

Correct, the inertia of the engine allows the valve and piston to connect. They barely hit, but the force of the engine bends the valve stem when the tip of the valve connects.

OP: you can try a new timing belt, and then do a compression check. That'll tell you right off hand if there are any bent valves. If there are, all you'd need to do is have the valves replaced and you're good to go.

Try the new belt, you never know. The bolt to my belt tensioner broke causing the timing belt to jump. The pathy would still start after the valves got bent up and would still run, but it sounded horrible. Which led me to the VG33 swap. The VG33 is an interference motor for sure.

i had this happen one valve was bent too bad so i ordered one and another was slight i did not notice until i lapped the valves i put it in a vice and hammered it strait i only did this because it was almost 2 weeks for delivery for a valve the other valve i seen at first disassembly. i ran that for years after

the quest engines are 100% identical no difference AT ALL u got lucky hope u went and bout a lottery ticket LOL

Edited by madhornet

i had this happen one valve was bent too bad so i ordered one and another was slight i did not notice until i lapped the valves i put it in a vice and hammered it strait i only did this because it was almost 2 weeks for delivery for a valve the other valve i seen at first disassembly. i ran that for years after

the quest engines are 100% identical no difference AT ALL u got lucky hope u went and bout a lottery ticket LOL

No, when the original deal was made between Nissan and Ford for the vans, Ford required that the engines being put in to the Mercury Villagers were non-interference. The guy I work for has a VG30 Villager, his timing belt let go getting on the highway about a month ago. No bent valves... do that with any standard VG and it will bend valves.

its because the quest/mercury pistons have deeper grooves cut into them. look at Nissannuts webpage about his vg33 swap and he has a side by side shot of the quest vg33, regular vg33 and vg30 pistons.

its because the quest/mercury pistons have deeper grooves cut into them. look at Nissannuts webpage about his vg33 swap and he has a side by side shot of the quest vg33, regular vg33 and vg30 pistons.

Ugh, but if this is the case why did I just put new pistons in with small cutouts. Seems like it would be great to just get bigger cutouts and solve this interference problem with minimal to no downside?

Ugh, but if this is the case why did I just put new pistons in with small cutouts. Seems like it would be great to just get bigger cutouts and solve this interference problem with minimal to no downside?

i know right?

youll get slightly less compression with the deeper cutouts, which i assume would mean slightly less power. IDK if it would be significant though.

I am surprised that you all have not hashed out this interferance/non-interference issue already...I was waiting for someone to tell me "search" or point me to a link where it was thouroughly discussed....

In anycase, I sold the truck as-is and it is a non-issue for me. Good luck!