Timing marks on a '95 VG30

2milehi

This probably belongs in "The Garage" but I can't post there yet. So how are the timing marks divided up? I have searched to only find conflicting data. I am assuming that the red line identifies 10° ATDC. Each division is 5° and the last mark is 20° BTDC. Is this correct?

pulley_harmonic-balancer.JPG

My understanding is that it is, from right to left, 30 BTDC, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 0 BTDC. So you put it on the middle mark. But however apparently there are a variety of pulleys out there. Mine is a 91.

• Like 1

^ Correct. The timing marks on all VGs are the same.

You do know there's a timing/emissions sticker on the hood, right...?

Edited by Kingman

^ Correct. The timing marks on all VGs are the same.

You do know there's a timing/emissions sticker on the hood, right...?

The emissions sticker just says 15° BTDC, there is no picture explaining the various timing marks. I am not convinced that your guys are certain. The reason I ask is because I am adding a VR and a trigger wheel to the pulleys. I need to know for sure which mark is TDC.

Here is an example of what I am doing.

320px-Timing_wheel_mounted.jpg

Not convinced that we are certain? I know exactly what I'm talking about, thanks. What sewbster posted is correct. If you want to test what I (we) know, go ahead and align the timing pin on the lower timing belt cover with the furthest left timing mark on the crank pulley. You'll find that the NO. 1 piston is all the way up, both valves are closed, and the rotor is pointed almost directly left at the NO. 1 contact on the cap. Also, the alignment dimple on the crank gear will be aligned with the notch in the oil pump lip. The key way will be facing upwards, a little to the side.

Edited by Kingman

Not convinced that we are certain? I know exactly what I'm talking about, thanks. What sewbster posted is correct. If you want to test what I (we) know, go ahead and align the timing pin on the lower timing belt cover with the furthest left timing mark on the crank pulley. You'll find that the NO. 1 piston is all the way up, both valves are closed, and the rotor is pointed almost directly left at the NO. 1 contact on the cap. Also, the alignment dimple on the crank gear will be aligned with the notch in the oil pump lip. The key way will be facing upwards, a little to the side.

Really - you gave some info that was not correct when you said to look at my emission sticker. You are human and can make mistakes or have a misunderstand yourself.

I have searched on the 'net for an explanation for setting timing and the manuals show some graphic of the timing marks. None match the VG30s, but all of the others show ATDC indications. Hence why I have my doubts.

timing_marks.jpg

0900c152800996f6.jpg

OK, OK looks like you are correct. I am sorry I doubted you. I finally found a pic that explains what you were trying to say. I need to make a bracket that holds the VR sensor and I need to be certain of where TDC is. Measure twice, cut once.

2006-03-24_113602_timing_2.jpg

2006-03-24_113536_timing_1.jpg

You might want to do a physical double check that your engine is at TDC since it looks like you've separated your pulley from your damper. You could easily bolt them back together wrong (unless you marked them).

Pull #1 plug

Rotate crank until air pushes out #1 plug hole (compression stroke)

Insert dowel into #1 plug hole

Keep rotating crank until dowel is at its highest position = TDC

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah you can bolt the timing marks 6 different ways.

I gotta say that this has to be Nissan's low point. This is about the most Mickey Mouse way of indicating timing marks.

Edited by 2milehi

Yeah, Nissan didn't think the pulley out to well when they designed it for the Pathfinders and I haven't figured out why they changed it. Engines like the one in my 4/87 Z31 which is a VG30, uses a single 27MM bolt to hold the crank pulley on without the 6 smaller bolts that separate it into pieces. It's all one piece and has one notch to slide over the key way on the crank gear. It's impossible to put it on wrong, therefore the timing marks will always be correct.

Go to the pinned topic section in the garage, there's a link to downloading the '94 FSM. Shoulda been the first thing to do instead of finding shady pictures on the internet.

Edited by Kingman

Thanks for all of the help. I temporarily installed the EDIS ignition system and started up the Pf. I adjusted the trigger wheel until it read 10º BTDC and then welded it on.