Pathy wont start

Shapes

Hey guys i started my pathy about a month ago and it was probably -40 and it started right up, but not 5 seconds later i heard a snap/clunk and it instantly died. Now it wont start i can hear the stater go but there is almost a grinding weird sound. I have an audio clip but dont think i can post it but i can email it if anyone is willing to help. Let me know what you think, i miss driving the big girl. 93 275k auto XE 4x4.

Sounds like the timing belt broke. Take the distributor cap off and bump the starter and see if it turns. If it doesn't the belt broke. You can put a new belt on but there is a good chance some valves got bent.

• Like 1

Sounds like the belt broke and since you've been cranking the engine, you're more than likely going to need new valves... especially if you can audibly hear noises.

If you hear "noises" but the crankshaft isn't actually turning then you may not be causing (much) damage, or, maybe your belt isn't even broken after all (but it dying suddenly and not restarting does sound like that). Take off the upper timing cover to check the belt. It should be pretty fast to do that...

:( got a quote on the timing belt because thats what I was thinking it was, $780 Canadian... Im a college student, why did it come to this i miss driving the old girl. I wish i knew more about vehicles so I could replace it myself, the parts are only 150.

If you have the tools and a place to work, it's definitely worth doing it yourself (and $150 still sounds a little high). Should you choose to tackle it yourself, do some reading and keep[ close to this forum, we'll help you through it.

• Like 1

Hey man.

I used to live in Northern Alberta. Fairview to be exact. While I was up there, where the Garage rate is stupid high, I got quoted $900. from teh Dealer in Grande Prairie which was the only dealer around and still an hour and a half away. I knew VERY little about mechanics at the time. Seriously. Aside from doing an Oil change I never did anything to a vehicle and after I got that quote, and saw the price for parts, I decided it was time to learn.

I did my own timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, thermostat, and tensioner pully on my own with the help of these forums. All of which at the time I couldn't even Identify if you asked me before. I ended up having to tear it down and put it back together 3 times for reasons not having to do with the actual timing belt. (my crank had a tiny burr on it and my first replacement crank seal tore the lip and oil was leaking by it, and the 3rd time taking it apart was because the Radiator Bypass hole had a hole in it and to get at it I couldn't find any other way to get at it other then tearing it down again. Other say its possible with extension needle nose pliers.)

At any rate, First time took me longer then I'd like to talk about. Second time it took me about 8 hours to tear it all down, and take the seal out and put a new one in, the 3rd time, 4 and a half hours.

I feel WAY more comfortable around working on my vehicle now and this is a Great job to learn on. BUT...... my timing belt was being replaced before it broke so you have a MUCH bigger headache to worry about. Chances are very slim that you didn't do further damage trying to get it started after the belt broke. Perhaps you can start trying to source some replacement heads from a Pathy in the Junkyard that is there for frame rot or tranny failure.

Do this yourself man. I'll never look back again.