Buying a car sight unseen...

DJ Dank

I'm looking at a 2005 Subaru WRX that I am interested purchasing but I'm in Montana and the seller is in CT. I've never bought a car sight unseen before and the thought of doing that is a little unnerving. As much as I want to trust the seller's word, when it comes to that kind of money, I'm apprehensive.

I know I can spend around $150 to have a third party go and inspect the car, test drive it and give it a '150 point' inspection... :shiftyeyes: I'd be more inclined to see if there was someone on here in the CT area who knows a little something about cars and take a look. Anyone ever bought a car sight unseen?

5299989573_0ee378e9f6_z.jpg

Don't do it unless you have someone look at it, or do it yourself...although I haven't personally had experience doing this, I've had friends do this, as well as buy motorcycles off ebay, and either never get the vehicle, or have it be really f'ed up

Nope, I've never done it and don't believe I would ever do it. Especially with a "high performance" vehicle like you are talking about. Fleet vehicles are a different category. My recommendation is to buy local and know what you are getting.

B

family has gotten a couple classics off ebay in the past. Fortunatly they were through fairly honest people and 'suprises' that can be expected considering not all people know what they are talking about/looking at with cars (and were talking 50+ year old stuff). I definatly suggest getting a set of knolidged and trusted eyes to look it over. And don't forget to factor in getting the car TO you...

I know where you're at with this, Ive been there many times but always chickened out. You're planning on dropping the coin anyway, take a day and fly out there (you can find some pretty cheap flights if you don't care about the comforts. What's another $400 on top of the price if it means you know for sure what you're getting? Would you be going and driving it back or having it shipped? If you're going to drive it back anyway, just go buy it in person but plan on the possibility of ponying up for a standby airfare to come back with your pockets still somewhat full. Better to gamble a few hundred than lots of thousands on what is really nothing more than a pig-in-a-bag. I love those cars man, Good luck!

Yup, I don't have cajones to buy a car without seeing it and driving it first. As nice as that car may seem, I only know what the seller wants me to know and I'm going with my gut and passing on that one. I am looking at a car in the Denver area that fits the bill too but it's silver. The dealer is also offering a free 3yr/100k Warranty through a third party company which gives me some sort of peace of mind. Plus it would only be a $200 flight there and 11 hour drive back.

I was concerned about the ride height too but it has coilovers and I would never have it ride that low. No pot holes in Montana, just grated dirt roads with giant mud holes. But then again, that's why I'm keeping the Pathy. This will be the main grocery getter. ;)

I threw a low bid in on a van on ebay once. I won. Then I had to call my wife and ask if she was busy that evening since I wanted her to go with me to pickup the van I bought on ebay. She was not amused... but she still drives it and likes it.

Great cars. Wish I still had my 06 but money got tight and the car had to go. If you go with it and want to raise it back up it takes all but an hour to swap the entire suspension out. Me and a buddy did swapped the springs on ours at the same time and it took 2 hours with lunch to do the complete job. Literally 6 bolts hold each spring/strut together and to the car. Check around NASIOC for parts and if you're looking in colorado www.awdpirates.net is the local subaru forum.

As for buying sight unseen, with a warranty I'd do it (depending on what the fine print said on it since it is a modified car), without a warranty it'd have to be a steal.