R50 RESURECTION PHASE ONE

808R50

PATHFINDER1.jpg[/img]

Picked up the little green goblin here a little while back. I was just putting the finishing touches on my wide bodied Tuscani when she found me. I really tried to resist the temptation, but since I knew a guy who knew a guy who might have some parts I figured I'd be a fool to pass up such a good deal.

So with the truck torn down & parts gathered, the project begins!

path16.jpg[/img]

path11.jpg[/img]

I had initially planned on making a couple of floor pulls to square things up then splice in the donor apron & support. But after a little measuring I realized the front end is really out of wack. So I just made the pulls I could since I was already set up on the floor.

path111.jpg[/img]

path113.jpg[/img]

Having done all I could do on the floor I moved her to the rack to address the side sway and rail height issues.

path117.jpg[/img]

path118.jpg[/img]

The little pathy came back into square with out to much of a fight, so I got her trimmed up & ready for the donor clip.

path1.jpg[/img]

It's only now that I've really began to look at her mechanical needs. All the hoses and belts are in need of replacement, boots on the rack & pinion are shot as well as the boots on the CV's, and She's got a wicked oil leak. Sure we'll find more as we go along, but for now those are the things that jump out at me.

I think the oil leak is from the valve covers. I gather I should replace the Rt valve cover & PCV valve while I'm in there. If there's anything else I should check or look into while I'm at it now would be the time, so speak up if you have any suggestions.

At 140,000 mi. I'm sure it's time the CV's be replaced, but I'll hold off till I get a set of manual hubs and do it all at once. I've considered installing spacers to level out the front end at the same time. An SFD is in the build plan, and I'd take the extra inch if I can use the two together with out creating camber issues. I'm going to run 35's so I need air..... Thoughts anyone???

For now I guess I better get back at it.... That front clip isn't gona weld itself in.

Aloha!

Damn, that's more of an undertaking than most would try! :aok:

Where were you when I needed frame work done years ago?? Hawaii?? Well, that wouldn't work either... :D

Good luck with the project, that's far more than I have done with the wife's 1999.0.

B

Not sure if it would have been my choice build, but I just couldn't bear to see her go to scrap. Besides, when I get her back to gether she'll be something different, & I like that.

Nice find...looks like you already got some nice rubber on there! How much you scoop it up for, if you don't mind sharing? And what interior mods are planned? DD/weekend warrior or you gonna take out the back seats and put in a bunch of nice stuff? Subscribed :coffee!:

Two Hundred and Fifty buck.... obscene isn't it! :)

It was that rubber and the lift that caught my eye. There are a number of R50s on the Island, but I've never seen one lifted. I just had to have it!

My tow company brought it in as a total. It was on the way to the dump, but I told the kid I'd pay his tow bill if he brought me the title.

I think I've got another two hunderd in the donor clip, Then maybe another five in belts & hoses, plugs & wires, gaskets, water pump, alternator, P/S pump, that kinda stuff. At 140,000 it still seems like a pretty sturdy truck, But there's a certain comfort in knowing for sure just what you have and knowing how it works. Expecially out on the trail.

I've got a fleet, so this wont be a daily driver. More than anything its a project. I like to build stuff and this will be a fun project that I get to enjoy along the way ( build it, break it, fix it better).

Bigger lift, bigger tires, bumpers, sliders, winch, rack, lights. Those are pretty much the mods I'm looking at.

you gonna take out the back seats and put in a bunch of nice stuff?

If by nice stuff you mean a surf board and camping gear.... ABSOLUTELY!!!!

My tow company brought it in as a total. It was on the way to the dump, but I told the kid I'd pay his tow bill if he brought me the title.

You now have my atention, you drive wrecker (and I don't mean a chaser azz scab)?

We'll I got the front end together... Donor parts fit nice. The hood is pretty rusty, but I'll keep my Eye out for a better one.

Here's a few more photos of her coming together:

100_4065.jpg

100_4068.jpg

100_4070.jpg

100_4071.jpg

100_4072.jpg

Hasn't come down off the rack just yet, since I'm still doing maintenance on the motor. All the accessories and drive belts went smoothly. Intake plenum and valve covers are off cleaned up and ready to re-install ( which sucked by the way). Waiting on a roll of vacuum line and the crank case ventilation hoses so I can put it back together.

She's turned into quite the project, but I'm having fun & learning alot of new swear words combinations. Apparantly the swear sequences are different then that of a chevy.... Maybe it's a metric thing, I'm not sure.

At any rate, Think it's a good time to end this thread.... Once she's button'd up, I plan on feeling her out on a couple light trails and continuing to work through the rest of the drive train.

More to come,

Aloha fellas!!! :beer:

• Like 1

I tweaked it to the photos were shown...

She's turned into quite the project, but I'm having fun & learning alot of new swear words combinations. Apparantly the swear sequences are different then that of a chevy.... Maybe it's a metric thing, I'm not sure.

Quite possibly!! :lol:

Once again, nice work. :aok:

B