Insurance with lift?

Andrew04LE

Hey does anybody know if installing a lift affects your insurance rates? I know when insuring a vehicle one of the standard questions is always "does the vehicle have any modifications?"

I want to get a set of OME springs soon.

I can't see it mattering, because according to the manufacturers web site (ARB) these springs only give a .5" lift. (even though rocky road outfitters advertises them as a 1.75" lift, and thats more what they are like)

I'm just trying to decide if I'd want to tell my insurance company about it at all.

I can only speak for out here in BC in such a case your insurance wouldn't be affected. I sell insurance here in BC and so I say this with great confidence. I highly suspect your safe in not expecting an increase. Always best to touch base with your broker there in Quebec though.

So I guess I should have told my Ins company that I lifted it 6" and put an aftermarket front bumper on and put a nice stereo in? Whoops!

Edited by adamzan

So I guess I should have told my Ins company that I lifted it 6" and put an aftermarket front bumper on and put a nice stereo in? Whoops!

I would suggest again checking to see if your policy would cover your upgrades. I would want to know if it was stolen or recked would the insurance settle on the basis of it be stock ? Or would they consider the lift and stereo as a reason to give you more money ?

Also A very important thing to consider or ask is are you covered when your off road ? See here in BC if I am off-road (non public roads) my collision will not cover me for any claims. I still have my liabliity and comprehensive but no collision coverage. (Collision coverage is for damage to your vehicle that your at fault for causing, Comprehensive is for fire, theft, fall objects)

I wonder how many aren't aware of this exclusion in auto insurance ?

• 2 weeks later...

When I read somewhere on the web some dude who drove his jeep off a cliff and had it covered by collision my brain almost exploded. But then I realized that I guess collision insurance is basically to pay for dumb things you do, so maybe it makes sense? Maybe I should get some collision insurance! I live in BC too though... I wonder if public logging roads get coverage? Anyway, I'm not too worried about this.

If I were to get collision insurance it would be to partially cover my losses in case I was in an accident in town where there wasn't enough information from them to assign blame properly and they just put it at 50/50.

• 8 months later...