Brakes

I need to replace the front brake discs and pads for the pathy. Does anyone have recommendation as to which brand I should go for? Should I stick with the OEM one?

I'm concerned about its performance in a stop-and-go traffic on a hot summer day and while wheeling in the mud and rock. The OEM one has not given me any problem, but I wonder if I'll get better stopping distance by going with after market brands. Currently, I'm leaning towards the EBC yellow stuff brake pads and the slotted, vented discs because they look pretty.

Thanks,

Andrew

I went with brembo black rotors and EBC green stuff pads, quite a difference over my all oem nissan brake feel, I was impressed.

I dont know much about EBC yellows though

I was also hoping this was going to be tech talk about a rear disc conversion for some reason lol, I want that bad

I have EBC Green Stuff Pads as well and Centric Rotors. They work great for me. Not sure about sloted rotors if you are going to be in the mud they could just provide more places for stuff to get stuck.

I went with the Stoptech Sportstop kit, mostly because I was able to talk down the seller $75 on it. :lol:

IMG00195-20110303-2102.jpg

Slotted rotors and composite pads, good for OEM spec but ideal for lifted R50s with larger tires. :aok:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I went with ebc slotted rotors, and hawk LTS brake pads. I would have gotten the ebc 7000 greenstuff pads but they were hard to find.

The yellowstuff wears out way too fast and gives off alot of dust

The hawks were also well packaged while ebc pads i have gotten are usually just stuffed into a box and alot of the paint having chipped off and some extra pad material sticking out, the Hawks were chamerfed precisely, and shrink wrapped.

Dont forget to bleed your brakes, i bled mine with ATE's superblue fluid.

Thanks guys.

Tyler, are those stop tech brake pads as well? I don't recall seeing any online.

I found mine as a kit with the rotors and pads, through a company called Kuruma Motoring. You might want to contact them directly.

The brake pads I got are the Street Performance kind. Here's the info:

Stoptech brake pads

Tyler, thanks for the info.! I'll check them out,

Phantom, any noise with the pads and do you get a lot of brake dust?

Yeah, I've been wondering the same about rear drums too.

Edited by dududuckling

• 2 months later...

Hmm... here's a curveball...

if I'm changing out my rotors... do I need to change out the pads as well?

Replacing rotors because I'm getting that "warped" rotor wheel shake when braking.

I got some Brembo blanks, but the pads that are are there now were changed at the beginning of this year and have about 6-7k 50/50 highway & city miles on them, so the pads still have a bunch of meat on them.

Thing is, the previous owner bought these pads and I don't know what brand they are.

Is it possible for "generic/unknown" brake pads to ruin rotors?

Edited by Qx4donald

Correct me if I'm wrong, but yes you should replace the pads if you're replacing the rotors. If the old rotors were warped or grooved it would mean the pads are unevenly worn, which would then in turn cause uneven wearing on the new rotors.

and just to confirm... it's okay to change pads without changing a whole new rotor, right?

Yeah, the usual thing is to change just the pads. However, you want to make sure your rotor is in good shape or you'll wear your pads too fast. Having the rotor turned is probably a decent idea, but unless "something bad happens" you should be able to resurface it a couple times before replacing. That said, I just replaced all 4 rotors on my truck (wd21) because they were basically totally destroyed by seized calipers.

Honestly, sticking with the OEM rotors is a good idea. But the ones listed above would be good options as well.

For the rear drums, go with OEM all the way. For the brake shoes, pretty much anything will do.

Courtesy parts has all the OEM brake stuff. I changed out my rear shoes and just kept the original drums (78k) because they were in fantastic shape.

To be honest I'd be surprised if you would ever have to change the shoes unless you've got extremely high mileage. The r50 drums last a LONG time. I was talking with a nissan mechanic a while ago and he said he's only replaced 1 set in 14 years and that was because a spring let go and destroyed the drum. My father has an r50 with 285,000kms and the shoes still have at least 50% left in them.

Phantom, any noise with the pads and do you get a lot of brake dust?

Sorry for the super late reply...brake dust is minimal and so is the noise. If i have the radio off and the windows down you can hear them when applying the brakes, but having the radio off is rare, lol. And if you have aggressive tires you wont hear it at all...

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

To be honest I'd be surprised if you would ever have to change the shoes unless you've got extremely high mileage. The r50 drums last a LONG time. I was talking with a nissan mechanic a while ago and he said he's only replaced 1 set in 14 years and that was because a spring let go and destroyed the drum. My father has an r50 with 285,000kms and the shoes still have at least 50% left in them.

I think I've only ever replaced shoes (not on my pathfinder, on other vehicles) due to brake fluid contamination from leaky wheel cylinders.