change fuel injector

curlybare

Is it possible to change the #5 injector without removing the intake? I know it's that one, because if I pull the plug wire it doesn't make any difference. I had pulled all the plugs but that one is stuck. I don't want to snap if off. Any ideas to get it out, hot or cold engine, liguid wrench? I had the heads done 4 months ago and this all started shortlt after. He says it was the #6 injector but "not". He wants to do the whole thing for like $500. Not goeing to happen. Any help out there.

#5 is is the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side, isn't it?? :scratchhead:

You should be able to get to it no problem...

As for actually changing it, piece of cake. Release fuel pressure and let it back drain a bit from the fuel rails. Remove injector connector, remove top cap (2 bolts/screws), grasp injector body by hand and twist 1/8 turn back and forth while pulling and it should pop out. If a lot of gas drains into the cylinder from the fuel rails, pull the coil wire and crank the motor to blow it back out (do not smoke during this time!!). Install the new seals on the replacement injector (some people lube them lightly) and install by hand the same way as removal. Replace cap and connector, reattach fuel line and drive off. :aok:

Note: Your injectors are color coded with a dab of paint on the top of the injector, covered by the connector. Only replace your injector with one of the same color code and all cylinders should have the same color injectors. Also, check the stored fault codes in the ECU, it may confirm what cylinder is faulty and you want to clear it anyway. Write up is pinned in the Garage/How To section.

B

Be careful with the new o-rings when installing... I tore one when replacing an injector and my problem got a lot worse :) Some people recommended that I use a castor-oil based rubber grease, but I ended up using, uh, some astroglide :blush02: