P0430 Code Help?

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 2wd

The code reads "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold-bank 2"

I took it to my mechanic and he opened up the catalytic converter on the driver side (both rear and front) and said it looked fine...so he ruled that out.

He replaced gaskets, 02 sensor, and 20 miles later I get the same code.

Before I even took it to my mechanic a thing, I put in 93 grade fuel combined with Lucas fuel injector and reset the code. I didn't get the code for 150 miles. Just thought Id throw that out there since code comes on within 10 miles. Gas mileage is still bad, get the occasional hint of rotten egg smell.

Can you tell if a cat is bad just by looking at the inside of it (that's what mechanic did)

Thanks

I posted this on nico forum, but I was trying my luck here as well :)

Welcome to the forum!!! this place has a wealth of knowledgeable people and im sure others will chime in, but ill help you with what i know.

i know that sometimes when you throw a code and replace a part it takes a certain number of cycles of the key in the ignition to reset the pcm or ecu(i dont know the technical name for it).

i had a similar problem with mine 3 yrs ago and i replaced an o2 sensor, then a couple hundred miles later it threw a code for a mass air flow sensor. so sometimes one issue leads to another...

What gaskets got replaced?

yes you should be able to tell if the cat is still good just by looking at it.

opened the cat up? :scratchhead: so he took it completly out of the truck or cut a hole in it? "looking inside it" ain't gonna tell you anything. Have actually seen that code issue on a fiew cars recently (not a brand specific thing) and the only thing that solved it was converter replacement on the vechiles we had come through the shop. Not a cheap fix normally(hell theres even a core charge on the y-pipe/converters for a Jeep Liberty :blink: ) if your payin someone to do it, little less painful if you turn your own wrenches... especially if it was "just opened up"... whatever thats supposed to mean.

Welcome to the forum!!! this place has a wealth of knowledgeable people and im sure others will chime in, but ill help you with what i know.

i know that sometimes when you throw a code and replace a part it takes a certain number of cycles of the key in the ignition to reset the pcm or ecu(i dont know the technical name for it).

i had a similar problem with mine 3 yrs ago and i replaced an o2 sensor, then a couple hundred miles later it threw a code for a mass air flow sensor. so sometimes one issue leads to another...

What gaskets got replaced?

yes you should be able to tell if the cat is still good just by looking at it.

opened the cat up? :scratchhead: so he took it completly out of the truck or cut a hole in it? "looking inside it" ain't gonna tell you anything. Have actually seen that code issue on a fiew cars recently (not a brand specific thing) and the only thing that solved it was converter replacement on the vechiles we had come through the shop. Not a cheap fix normally(hell theres even a core charge on the y-pipe/converters for a Jeep Liberty :blink: ) if your payin someone to do it, little less painful if you turn your own wrenches... especially if it was "just opened up"... whatever thats supposed to mean.

He replaced the muffler gaskets and claimed they were causing some leaks.

Sorry for the confusion, by opening up the cats, I was referring to him pulling them out of the car, and looking inside of each of them. He showed me the inside saying it looks good (it looked like a little window screen)

• 2 years later...

In cases when a cat wouldnt fix the code what else would have been faulty?