Got my new used pathfinder, love it! Have a lift/tire question.

snow4me

I have used the search but haven't found what I'm looking for. Just got a 2001 pathy from a coworker, it's in really nice shape. I want to get a lift kit from 4x4 parts and put bigger tires on it. If I lift it the 2.5 inches like the kits say the do, how big a tire can I run on the stock SE wheel? And, will I need wheel spacers? Sorry to have to ask but I could not find this info in the search. I will trim plastic if need be to Max the tire size. Thanks!

Very surprised you didn't find it in the search as I think the same question was asked like twice in the last week. But I can understand as the search doesn't always work well. Not a problem ;)

Here is a big topic in the pinned topics in the R50 section: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19867

To put it simply, you can fit up to 31" tires on it without spacers or cutting the fenders. Before the lift I ran 31" tires but I had some rubbing. After the lift I have zero rubbing with the tires. I am also running with the stock rims on my truck.

Hope that helps.

Well, unless I'm reading wrong, it looks like 265/75/16 are the biggest tire I'm going to fit on the stock wheel with the 4x4 parts.com lift springs. Using a tire calculator, it comes out to about a 32 inch tire. Seems that front wheel spacers are only sometimes needed. Can anyone clarify if I am reading right? Seems some guys have trouble with some tires and other guys have no problems.

Here, read Andrews build thread he was able to fit 33" tires on the 4x4parts 2" lift.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28224

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! Thank you SO Much!!! I'm surprised the stock wheel can handle the 285's but apparently it's not an issue. I will post pics of my new toy asap. Thanks again!

A 285 is too wide of a tire for a 7" wheel. That's out of the recommended range. 275 would be the widest that a 7" wheel is supposed to handle.

From what i've seen, the 265/75/16s don't rub but they're super close. Most people got spacers just for piece of mind though.

A 285 is too wide of a tire for a 7" wheel. That's out of the recommended range. 275 would be the widest that a 7" wheel is supposed to handle.

From what i've seen, the 265/75/16s don't rub but they're super close. Most people got spacers just for piece of mind though.

I have 265's on mine and had to 1 1/2 inch spacers. Mainly because of the 17" rims and backspacing on the rim. Works well and I'm happy with the performance so far. Really want 285's next.

i believe so. if you want to go wider, you should look into buying new wheels. they're not too expensive to go grab some 16x8 or 9 steelies.

Yea, I've been through most of this with my 99 F250 but these little trucks and their strut front ends are new to me. LoL. I have never been a big fan of steel wheels when aluminum is readily available but at a cost increase. I've got some time to get it figured out. I am a fan of a 15 inch wheel and a lot of sidewall rubber, I love the look. Seems I read that a 15 inch wheel may be a tight fit on the R50? Also, how are you guys measuring back spacing? I was under the impression it was from the mounting surface to the inside edge of the rim? Less backspacing puts the tire out further away from the strut, correct?