Resonators Cracked

edolmseth

I was not sure if this issue has been covered in NPORA but wanted to share my recent discovery with fellow Pathy and QX4 owners.

Soon after I purchased my pathy I noticed a rattle or muffle sound coming from underneath the vehicle. It was a little annoying and it seriously sounded like my exhaust was falling off. I got up underneath thinking it was a loose heat shield or hanger to notice some weird clamps and metal channels around what I thought was a secondary cat.

I did some research and found that these “secondary cats” were not cats and were actually factory resonators. Furthermore Nissan had a major defect in these and installed band-aid type fixes to try and skirt the issue. The problem is, due to excessive heat and typical corrosion these resonators would crack along there robotically welded seam, and fail prematurely. Mine had the band-aid fix which typically failed after only 10 to 15,000 miles. There is also the possibility of getting toxic gasses leaking into the cab and making passengers sick. Here is the link to the customer complaint page on Topix: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/nissan/TTG7L43U0AKTKACBF

Possible solutions to permanently fix the cracked resonators:

1) Purchase and install factory resonators (Extremely expensive, $700 plus)

2) Purchase and install Walker aftermarket resonators ($200 to $300, depending on self or shop install)

3) Cut out the failed resonators and replace with straight pipe ($70 to $80 at a local muffler shop)

4) Remove the resonators, weld the seam, and re-install (Essentially free if self performed). Example of this being done here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/post4908639.html

I ended up going with #3. This seemed like the most economical solution for me since I do not own my own welder. It made a world of difference; all is quiet now, and no more rattling!

Plus the exhaust has a much throatier sound with the resonators removed, which I like.

Hopefully this info helps some Pathy and QX4 owners.

are you sure those are factory resonators and not cats? where did you get this info from? i know that i got a heat shield that is rattling right below the drivers seat that is falling off what i thought is the secondary cats. gotta put a hose clamp on it to fix it but thats it.

anybody else know about this?

Yes, they are for sure resonators and not catalytic converters. When I went to the muffler shop to have them removed the muffler guy was very hesitant to cut them out and also thought they were cats.

But the O2 sensor is located before them just after the actual cat. If they were cats the O2 sensor would be located after them since hypothetically they would be doing a secondary treatment to the exhaust outlet. It would not make sense to install a O2 sensor before a cat, this would defeat the purpose of an O2 sensor.

Furthermore when the muffler guy removed these he cut them open to see what they were. They are merely a resonator section with baffles. Almost looked like the interior of a cherry bomb muffler.

Edited by edolmseth

... i know that i got a heat shield that is rattling right below the drivers seat that is falling off what i thought is the secondary cats. gotta put a hose clamp on it to fix it but thats it.

anybody else know about this?

I just removed my heat shield(s) that had all but rusted off. I always noticed it while sitting in drive-thru lines at the local fast food joint. While down there, I noticed that my muffler is about to rust through. I think that I'll have the whole exhaust plumbing replaced from the cat back .. minus the resonator after reading about the throaty sound!

And I think there was a recall on this, Nissan welded a "patch" on them to stop the crack...my truck has them I can post pics if anyone wants em.

I don't think there was an actual "recall" but Nissan issued the repair kit as a cheap fix. Unfortunately it only lasted a little while.

Pictures can been seen at this link: http://forums.nicoclub.com/post4908639.html

The first pic is the cracked seam

The second pic is the "repair kit," it is the pipe clamp and small piece of angle steel along the pinch area of the resonator. Nissans kit contained pipe clamps, the steel u-shaped channels and some putty to "seal" the crack.

If it's just a resonator whats the point of keeping them on? If you're going through the trouble to re-weld them why not just take them off?

I think the idea here is that if you own or have access to a welder, than repairing the resonators is essentially free, minus the weld supplies.

Deleting the resonators entirely costs money in pipe to close the new gap, plus money in weld supplies. Therefore just welding the existing resonators is the cheapest option.

But unfortunately I do not own a welder, or have any welding skills so I went ahead and had the resonators cut out at a muffler shop. :aok:

Edited by edolmseth

It wasn't a recall (remember recalls are for safety items). It was released as a TSB to use the clamps and channels.

Periodically you can take the clamps and channels off and put some more muffler cement in the channels and reclamp them.

Not the best fix they've come up with, but it does work, not permently like a weld or a complete pipe weld/job, but it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know the dimensions of the main muffler off hand? I'm at work right now, and about to order some parts. I think there are enough holes throughout my entire exhaust system to warrant a complete overhaul. I'm thinking of doing this (thanks to the everyone's input):

1. On each side, cut off the resonators (after the o2 sensor obviously) and weld SS straight pipe.

2. Weld the above pipes to custom pipes that go into a Magnaflow muffler- main muffler replacement.

3. From there, a 2.5 pipe that will run to the end. Either that, or main muffler to a new post muffler. I would definitely enjoy a nice tone, I just don't want it to be too loud.

Hopefully all of this will be Stainless Steel or at least Aluminized Steel. What does everyone use for their main muffler replacement? Straight pipe through that as well, or Magnaflow? Or something else...

Where can I get a Magnaflow muffler to replace my main muffler? I mean, I know where I can GET it- I need to know where specifically so I know what worked, what did not.

Thanks in advance,

Vannak

Edited by vannaksao

I have had my resonator fall off on the freeway one time and didn't notice until the exhaust got really loud. I ordered a new one from Robbins auto parts up here in the northeast for $65 and it has a lifetime warrenty. I put it on and no less than 6 months later it broke off again and i ran over it. I took it back and they gave me another. This one has lasted me about 1 year now with no problems (knock on wood) but as soon as it gives me problems I am going to just cut it out and put some straight pipe in unless they warrenty it again. My whole engine/transmission/exhaust is stock, I haven't really put too many mods into them but am thinking I should.