Where to mount cb antenna?

fusion

Hey all, I got a Uniden PRO520XL for my birthday, along with a Firestik Firely 3' antenna with a HD spring. I can't decide where to mount it though. I obviously want it to be as efficient as possible but also want it out of the way and trail-safe. I figure my options are a jamb mount above the rear taillight, a hood channel mount on the driver side or a roof mount all the way behind my roof rack.

Pros and cons: (yes, I over analyze everything)

Hatch Jamb Mount Pros: out of sight, short enough for garage/trees, tall enough to extend more then 1/3 above roof, not too ugly

Hatch Jamb Mount Cons: sticks out (trail safe?), might hit the body, have to run wire a long ways, have to make visible holes for mount, might get in the way of loading/unloading

Hood Channel Mount Pros: Good ground plane, no visible holes, garage/tree safe, short wire route

Hood Channel Mount Cons: In line of sight (distracting), might get in the way of engine bay work, ugly

Roof Mount Pros: Great reception/transmission, out of sight, not in the way, makes truck look like an RC car

Roof Mount Cons: not garage/tree/trail safe

Did I miss anything? What have other folks done for their mount? I dont have a grill guard or custom bumper/tire carrier so those options are out.

Pictures help!

Cheers! :beer:

I mounted my right to my rear bumper, Its out of the way, and its on a spring if it gets hung up on anything. Mine is longer then 3' however, so it sticks above my roof giving me a relatively low SWR reading.

That looks (and probably works) great! I however, have a plastic bumper cover... not good for mounting an antenna, even if on a big spring, I wouldn't trust it. Ever gotten any flack for obstructing your light?

I had mine mounted to my rear bumper until I got a spare tire rack, mine was a little shorter though and it wasn't the best reception. Never got bothered about it blocking the light, hell the cable for my current setup blocks more of the lense then the antenna did!

That is a clean install. Any particular reason you went with the driver side, as opposed to the passenger side?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Edit: Also, what was your thought process on choosing to mount on the rear instead of the hood channel?

Edited by fusion

That looks (and probably works) great! I however, have a plastic bumper cover... not good for mounting an antenna, even if on a big spring, I wouldn't trust it. Ever gotten any flack for obstructing your light?

The firestick is only like 1cm wide, so you can barely tell its there once the brake light is on.

The firestick is only like 1cm wide, so you can barely tell its there once the brake light is on.

True, that would be my logical conclusion as well but I have been pulled over by CA Highway Patrol for less. :whip:

Hood Channel Mount Pros: Good ground plane, no visible holes, garage/tree safe, short wire route

Hood Channel Mount Cons: In line of sight (distracting), might get in the way of engine bay work, ugly

If you get a strong enough spring, it shouldn't be too distracting as it won't move much. I have a weak spring on mine, and thankfully it's on my tirecarrier and I can only see it when I lean over and look through my passenger side mirror.

The antenna should be able to unscrew from the mount for engine bay work.

Nice place for that hook up. Looks like a real clean set up. I'm using a Wilson 1000 mag mount right now and i'm going to drill the top instead since the lip on the roof doesn't allow the mag mount to sit well. Now I'm debating whether to go this route since you did such a clean job on the installation.