2001 pathfinder grinds when moving from 2H to 4L

bro_die

Well took the path for a trailing today and everytime I move from 2H to 4L

itll grind. Is this normal or something is wrong. Sometimes ill take me about

3 tries jsut to engange it. I tried stopping on a flat area put it on reverse

drive a couple of feet and sometimes it works sometimes it just doesnt help

at all. Im jus asking this question because searching for teh answer Im

doing the exact steps its telling me to do. Little help is appreciated.

Ill check transmission fluid tomorrow first thing in the morning after I

let it run for a couple of mins.

Well took the path for a trailing today and everytime I move from 2H to 4L

itll grind. Is this normal or something is wrong. Sometimes ill take me about

3 tries jsut to engange it. I tried stopping on a flat area put it on reverse

drive a couple of feet and sometimes it works sometimes it just doesnt help

at all. Im jus asking this question because searching for teh answer Im

doing the exact steps its telling me to do. Little help is appreciated.

Ill check transmission fluid tomorrow first thing in the morning after I

let it run for a couple of mins.

It's not the transmission fluid. And if I'm reading your post correctly, you're doing it wrong.

It may be a diff procedure for the r50s, but here's what I have to do in order to engage 4l on my wd21;

Stop.

Put it in park.

Move the shifter down to 4l.

Put it in drive.

Go forward.

I think you are mistaking the "drive reverse 6ft" with the process used to unlock automatic hubs.

For a more precise answer, read your manual carefully, or wait for someone who owns and r50 to come in here.

Actually, you're supposed to put it in Neutral. Anyways OSR is right. You can't be moving or in gear when going to 4wd low range. That grinding is the Tcase protesting you forcing it into lower gears while stuff is still turning.

If it is the manual shift tcase it's the same as the wd21 as far as shifting to low range goes. The electronic shift I'm pretty sure you still have to stop!

Edited by adamzan

I have an R50. I've never tried to shift from 2H to 4H unless at a complete stop. But when I do, there's no grinding. I usually have the clutch in, but you don't really have to. I'm just compulsive that way.

I just read your post again, and might have found another problem. To go from 2H to 4H, you just pull back on the transfer lever. However, to go from 4H to 4L, you have to push DOWN on the transfer lever while pulling back. If you're not pushing down, I can see how it would grind. You can't go directly from 2H to 4L without first going through 4H. So when you said that you tried to go from 2H to 4L, are you going through 4H really quickly?

So remember:

2H to 4H -- just pull back

4H to 4L -- push down on shifter, then pull back

Maybe this will help. If not, I still say change your fluid.

I have an R50. I've never tried to shift from 2H to 4H unless at a complete stop. But when I do, there's no grinding. I usually have the clutch in, but you don't really have to. I'm just compulsive that way.

I just read your post again, and might have found another problem. To go from 2H to 4H, you just pull back on the transfer lever. However, to go from 4H to 4L, you have to push DOWN on the transfer lever while pulling back. If you're not pushing down, I can see how it would grind. You can't go directly from 2H to 4L without first going through 4H. So when you said that you tried to go from 2H to 4L, are you going through 4H really quickly?

So remember:

2H to 4H -- just pull back

4H to 4L -- push down on shifter, then pull back

Maybe this will help. If not, I still say change your fluid.

You can shift into 4H while moving, just not faster than 50kph as I recall.

To shift into 4L you must put it in neutral first.

On the back of the driver side sun visor there is a little card that explains how to use the transfer case.

as others have already said, the R50 is an "on the fly" shift from 2H to 4H. going at about ~30MPH you can just use one swift, quick motion into 4H.

to shift into 4L, you MUST stop, put it in neutral, and again use a swift, quick motion, push down on the lever, and pull back quickly into 4L. it shouldn't grind, if it does, you're probably doing it wrong or shifting too slowly. checking fluids and giving it a nice flush with good fluids will always help some, but grinding is typically user error.

2H to 4H you can shift at practically any speed, they just don't recommend doing it at higher speeds.

from 4H to 4L you are shifting to a completely different gear ratio, so not only do you have to be stopped, but there can't be any strain on the driveline.

IE: if you are parked on a hill, and try to shift it, it won't go, unless you force it and it grinds.

you can shift it if you are on a perfectly level spot, there is no strain on the driveline.

If you have it in neutral, it doesn't matter if you are on a hill, there is no strain, it will shift smoothly.

So rule of thumb, always be in neutral when shifting from 4H to 4L, including if you shift all the way from 2H to 4L

My mistake if I mislead you all. I do stop when shifting from 2H to 4L.

The reversing part i was talking about i when they say try to disengange the

dif first. Heres what I do to make things short. When in 2H I stop reverse couple

of feet and then stop again move shifting to 4H and push down to N and then finaly to

4L. Sometimes teh grinding is there and sometimes its not. At times when I

disengage from 4L to 2H the cluster still shows that im in 4H and couple

of minutes of driving itll go into 2H on its own but maybe its just my mistake

of not fully pushing the shifter forward. If this helps this car is automatic trans and

I did try shifting from 2H to 4H while moving and no grinds at all.

No need to reverse the truck.

As mentioned above 2-4H, you can do while moving, which you have experienced.

for 4H-4L, stop the truck, put the transmission in neutral, then shift the transfercase to 4L.

If you're having trouble going from 4H to 4L even if you are stopped and in Neutral, you can put it in park and shut the truck off, then shift it into 4L and start the truck again. If the driveline isn't spinning there is nothing to grind.

Edited by Zibi

not going to red through all the Bs.

yes, it will grind, it is normal.

think about it, your T case does not have synchros to get the next gear spinnign at the same spead as the previous one.

so try cramming w gear into another one that is moving at a different speed.

YOU MUST BE AT A FULL STOP, TRANNY IN NUETRAL (OR CLUTCH IN)

before shifting into 4L from anything.