snorkel. does it help?

Channel595

i keep seeing snorkels on cars around town and im starting to think its just for looks when half the h2 and h3 have them. i highly doubt that any one takes a h2 off road ever.

whats the point of a snorkel thats mounted at roof level when the driver would be below water?

also how would the ignition system work when its its wet?

Didnt say it would help with electrical, I'd much rather replace a coil though instead of take a big azz drink of good ol h2o dumped directly through my throttle body. Yea, odds are alot of em your seeing are for the image. Look at most mall terrains and the coin dropped to make them "look" capable. You wouldn't imagine the crap that runs around here with roofmounts that ain't even wired in and all aimed in a wasteful " 4 strait forward" way.

Snorkels are useful. Problem is a lot of mis-conceptions you have mentioned.

First of all, of course there are a lot of people with them who will never even bring their truck close to off-road. But what else is new? People have put stuff on their vehicles which are either completely useless or will never actually be used since cars first came off the production line. I see a metric ton of people with roof lights who will NEVER use them. But hey they look cool! Just because some people install certain things on their vehicles, it doesn't mean they are completely useless to everyone.

Snorkels are useful (for those that need it) for the sense that it will now move the air entry from the wheel-well area (an area prone to getting filled with water) to somewhere higher up where they likely-hood of getting water into the engine is highly reduced. While having the air-intake in the wheel well area is fine for 99% of people, it isn't for those fording through water. Search the internet, hell just search this site and you will find people that went into a small water hole for only a couple seconds. But those few seconds, and the wave of water splashing back was enough to get up the pipe and hydro-lock the engine. Some people have hydrolocked an engine from just going through a really big puddle. It is possible, and so some people do decide they need them.

Most people with snorkels very rarely go through deep water for long periods of time. Generally you are hood-deep in water for 2-10 seconds, and up to 30 seconds for those really brave (or don't care about getting water into the cab and getting their stuff wet). Even if you go onto youtube and look at the videos of people going through deep water holes, they are rarely in there for long. Most electronics in the engine compartment will survive getting wet like that. Anyone who goes for longer trips in deep water generally don't have newer vehicles due to the electronics (and the value of the vehicle). Do you really want to put your $40K truck in deep water? Nope. But you can do some modifications to run in deep water for long times. Look at these pics of a guy who parked his truck in a water hole. You can see the engine is still running.

snorktruck2.jpg

snorktruck.jpg

Most snorkel intake heads are installed high above the cab so that they don't block the view of the driver. The pipe going up can already block your view while driving, but a big head piece can make that worse. Some people have installed them lower with no problems, but it is also about looks and having it higher up makes the install look better. There are some people who have the in-take routed into the cab so that the snorkel doesn't stick up out of the fender. Some have it coming up out of the grill area in front of the windshield. As long as it is above the height of the possible water hole, it should be fine. But any place is better than the inner fenders.

So yes, snorkels can be useless, but they are useful for some that install them. I installed one on my truck as I plan on really pushing my truck this summer and going into some more remote areas where I will likely encounter some deep water. I would rather have that "leech" (like some people have called it) on my truck then be suck somewhere with a hydro-locked engine. I may never really need it, but to me it was worth the $100 to build it. Plus I will admit it does look somewhat cool on the truck ;)

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

everyone belives that water shorts out all electricty BUT water has resistance too. if you stick a car battery under water the terminals are far enough apart that it will not drain the Battery now if you put a wire on each terminal and run then ends a few MM from eachother crurrent will move across the small space and drain the battery. Now hook a lightbulb up to the battery and the current will stop moving between the 2 open wires because there is less resistance to light the lightbulb to the electicty takes that path instead.

So your vehicle keeps running because it is easier for the power to go thru the wires than it is to go thru the water. now the igniton on the other hand can get messed up because electricy has to cross a gap in your dizzy and thats why watter messes with dizzys (the air gap has more resistance than water) and not your alternator.

and yes, I do have a hidden snorkel...

th_snorkelside.jpg

That truck in the picture is still in a good amount of water. Alternator is under water, as is a lot of the electrical system. It is still running. Hell the guy isn't even sitting in the truck. And you can't seem to read, for as I stated before, most people don't go into super deep water for long. That guy is sitting in a pretty decent amount of water, up to the fenders, as would most people who have snorkels.

• Like 1

that jeep still wouldn't need a snorkel since the stock intake is above the water and also all the ignition system

You realize that to get into that deep of water, chances are at one point that intake was either heavily splashed or completely submerged, and its only 3" above the standing water..not to mention if that water WAS just a little deeper, he would have hydro locked.. You're absolutely right, he MAY not have needed it in that picture, but in the other 3,000 times he's splashed that area, he DID.

I'd imagine it doesn't take a whole ton of water to lock up an engine, I'd say about a cup would do it.

If I could afford one of the plastic "ready to go" setups, I'd do it...but I'm broke and quickly going into more debt (20k a year in fact ;) )

That truck in the picture is still in a good amount of water. Alternator is under water, as is a lot of the electrical system. It is still running. Hell the guy isn't even sitting in the truck. And you can't seem to read, for as I stated before, most people don't go into super deep water for long. That guy is sitting in a pretty decent amount of water, up to the fenders, as would most people who have snorkels.

are you telling me that the snorkel is to the altenator? lol. any water in the cap will make the car not run let alone if it has crappy plug wires that wont be good either. it only takes a table spoon of water to bend a rod by the way.

are you telling me that the snorkel is to the altenator? lol. any water in the cap will make the car not run let alone if it has crappy plug wires that wont be good either. it only takes a table spoon of water to bend a rod by the way.

I'm just going to say it; you have a really condescending attitude, or at least type like it. Sorry.

It may take a tb spoon to bend a rod, but I've seen worse things result in no damage. Either way you proved my point, a table spoon of water splashes into your air filter and you're done. Still think a snorkel is useless?

I think its obvious, the guy in the photo has a pretty sick rig, and has effectively waterproofed it. Although I have absolutely NO experience with diesel engines, it is a right hand drive, therefore very possibly has a diesel in which case I'm pretty sure they don't have alot of the electronics vs water issues that petrol engines do. In fact, I think I remember people commenting on h1 hummers being very water-capable because they only need a higher source of air to be waterproof.

You cannot tell me that without a snorkel, all those crazy youtube video's we've all seen could have happened! Sure they do alot of work to modify the rest of the engine, but without a snorkel none of that other stuff would be necessarily, as soon as you lose the wave you have going in the water, you'd be done! Atlease with electrical stuff it can usually dry out, or be quickly replaced for only a couple bucks!

For the person who's posting the topic asking questions, you sure seem to know everything there is to know. I'd also like to mention that people point at our wd21's the same way you just laughed at h2's. I've seen hummers in general do some pretty impressive things on the trail, and wouldn't hesitate to wheel with them again!

Another good reason why people put them at roof level, is because they will probably NOT be going as deep as their head, therefore they can safely assume they will not accidentally dip it into the water, lets face it, if they are up to their roof they have bigger issues at hand! If they put the intake at fender level, they actually have a pretty good chance of getting water in, I've had water up over my hood, and it glides right up there no problem, all it takes is a table spoon (apparently) ;)

Edited by OldSlowReliable

that car in the mud hole above is gas powered you can see the distributor... and its still above water.

i guess the question i should be asking: is how do you water proof a distributor cap?

i got that table spoon amount from a service bulletin

Edited by Channel595

i keep seeing snorkels on cars around town and im starting to think its just for looks when half the h2 and h3 have them. i highly doubt that any one takes a h2 off road ever.

whats the point of a snorkel thats mounted at roof level when the driver would be below water?

also how would the ignition system work when its its wet?

No.

As a certified scuba diver, I can tell you that I would have no problem driving along as long as the truck wasn't gulping water.

If you only ran a snorkel up to the bottom of the windshield, it wouldn't be very effective. Why run only 1/2 way up when it is easier to secure at the top anyway??

Also, the misconception is that snorkels are only for amphibious vehicles. Sure, that is 1 application but another is clean air. Ever follow another vehicle or 5 on a dusty road? You can't hardly see crap and start choking; well, your motor intake has it even worse. Ever wonder how fine your filter blocks? How quickly will it clog and reduce the engine's ability significantly?

There is a third reason, performance. For most vehicles, the airbox is restrictive by either intakes, filtering or both. While some snorkels plumb into the stock air box, others go with custom filtering. One will give you some increase, the other a bit more.

Water proof the dizzy with some silicone or even put in plugs to give a shot of WD40 before you go for a dip. Trust me, that works like a champ...

that jeep still wouldnt need a snorkel since the stock intake is above the water and also all the ignition system

LOL When you are parked in a puddle. What about when you are crossing a stream. I've seen no problem turn' into OH SHEIT real fast.

It sounds to me like you have decided already and just want to argue about it... :shrug:

Look at it from my side. I have a 95 WD21 with 105k miles on it that I have fixed up most of the way I want to and this includes a stock motor, headers, free flow cat, 2.25" pipe and a Flowmaster exhaust. It farts like Liberace but chokes like Ashlee Simpson. I'm trying to get all the 'free' power from it in a smog state so to match the exhaust, I plan to have a custom snorkel made that starts at the roof line with a forward facing hat (prefiltered and water separating) with 2.5" min pipe running into the fender in a aftermarket 350CFM filter before stacking up to the MAF (fardly 2+ inches, it's in another thread). I will have cleaner air through larger piping with positive pressure (if I am moving fast enough) through a filter that won't restrict it. I am certain it will net HP gains, help prolong the life of the motor and keep me from worrying about dipping a fender in some water occasionally. ;)

B

Some people don't worry about the electronics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoGc_PLyeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQohYlnILg

As far a silicone on the distributor, I hear people referring to it but I don't know if that would work. When cold water hits a hot distributor cap the cooling effect will make the moisture in the air inside the distributor cap condensate on the inside of the cap. Thats usually what will get you when you run through a puddle too fast, the water splashing against the cap not actually leaking in. I think most distributors are vented anyway. I don't know for sure I never played submarine with my vehicles yet. I have spent many rainy nights in my old ford thunderbird with my sock and a lighter trying to dry out the distributor after doing something stupid like trying to hydroplane over a large puddle doing 60mph!

James

Yes I want a snorkel for my pathy because it looks cool!

Edited by JamesRich

Your comments make no sense. I didn't say anything about the snorkel being routed to the alternator. I said that the alternator is underwater. Meaning that the electrical system is still working even though the alternator is covered in water. You commented about the electric system not being able to take all that water, but this shows it can.

And yes it doesn't take much water to hydro-lock the engine. That is why we are saying a snorkel is a good idea to help keep most of the water out of the engine.

Is like beating a dead horse with you. Oh wait, we have a smiley for that!

:deadhorse:

Edited by Northernpathy
  • Like 1

I always thought it was a cow?

Nobody it seems is gonna convince you of the benefits of one... Just don't buy/build one if you don't like em, just be prepaiered for some backlash if you change your mind and put one on and someone remembers this thread

that jeep still wouldnt need a snorkel since the stock intake is above the water and also all the ignition system

Toyota Landcruiser :aok:

that car in the mud hole above is gas powered you can see the distributor... and its still above water.

i guess the question i should be asking: is how do you water proof a distributor cap?

i got that table spoon amount from a service bulletin

:blink: What distributor? The only 4cyl to come out in a Landcruiser is diesel.

No.

As a certified scuba diver, I can tell you that I would have no problem driving along as long as the truck wasn't gulping water.

If you only ran a snorkel up to the bottom of the windshield, it wouldn't be very effective. Why run only 1/2 way up when it is easier to secure at the top anyway??

Also, the misconception is that snorkels are only for amphibious vehicles. Sure, that is 1 application but another is clean air. Ever follow another vehicle or 5 on a dusty road? You can't hardly see crap and start choking; well, your motor intake has it even worse. Ever wonder how fine your filter blocks? How quickly will it clog and reduce the engine's ability significantly?

There is a third reason, performance. For most vehicles, the airbox is restrictive by either intakes, filtering or both. While some snorkels plumb into the stock air box, others go with custom filtering. One will give you some increase, the other a bit more.

Water proof the dizzy with some silicone or even put in plugs to give a shot of WD40 before you go for a dip. Trust me, that works like a champ...

LOL When you are parked in a puddle. What about when you are crossing a stream. I've seen no problem turn' into OH SHEIT real fast.

It sounds to me like you have decided already and just want to argue about it... :shrug:

Look at it from my side. I have a 95 WD21 with 105k miles on it that I have fixed up most of the way I want to and this includes a stock motor, headers, free flow cat, 2.25" pipe and a Flowmaster exhaust. It farts like Liberace but chokes like Ashlee Simpson. I'm trying to get all the 'free' power from it in a smog state so to match the exhaust, I plan to have a custom snorkel made that starts at the roof line with a forward facing hat (prefiltered and water separating) with 2.5" min pipe running into the fender in a aftermarket 350CFM filter before stacking up to the MAF (fardly 2+ inches, it's in another thread). I will have cleaner air through larger piping with positive pressure (if I am moving fast enough) through a filter that won't restrict it. I am certain it will net HP gains, help prolong the life of the motor and keep me from worrying about dipping a fender in some water occasionally. ;)

B

Well done B, about everything I was going to say :lol:

this was the reason for me getting one :broken::whistle:

i was lucky nothing happened to the engine. it really is a pain in the ass to get a dead truck out of a hole. now i worry more about getting water in the cabin than engine.

Same reason why I need one.. Just to add, the engine was still running, I shut it off when I wasn't moving and had the hood under water.

After removing all the plugs she spat a bit out. I was lucky

DSC01088.jpg