Building a Rear Storage Unit

Terrano757

.:: Rear Storage Solution ::.

OK so back in November i was going to go and get some professional storage built up for the back of my car, but with a $1100 quote from a leading 4x4 shop i decided i would give it a go myself. My needs were as follows;

- Must be made out of 100% MDF (my metal work skills are not as up to scratch as my carpentry!)

- Must Have Top Access (either as well as or instead of drawers - This is to access it from the back window)

- Must be built AROUND my 12" sub woofer Box in the back.

So pretty simple yeah?

So i put 2 long beams of wood (800x180 if i remember correct) on the inside of the wheel arches (where they intrude into the boot area) and this provided for the "Frame", i then measured the large piece for the top (1200x800 - again a guess!) I fixed the top to the main support beams with L brackets, (4 on each side - 16 in total) i then measured where the cut out for the sub woofer needed to be, which i decided the center was the best position. i then cut this piece out. I added a horizontal support with L brackets to the 2 main support beams, to hold the main board up (seeing as i had just cut a large hole in it) The main frame now looked like a H with the main board sitting on top; although the horizontal did not go all the way to the ground. To be safe i added another identical horizontal beam to the front of the box. This no meant the top was strong enough to cut the trap door out without the wood snapping. obviously the next step was to cut the trap door out. while i was marking the trap door out i made sure it overlapped where the support beam was hidden underneath, this way when it was shut, it could rest upon the support beam. (i then removed the support beam to cut the trap door out) Once that was done i realized that, although it was the perfect fit for the car, i could not get it into the car (the boot opening is smaller than the internal width) so what i did was cut a piece off from the left support beam, all the way to the edge. i then attached a piece underneath the main board on the left hand side (where i had removed the edge from) for the edge piece to screw back onto once it was in the car.

This photo shows you the unit in its current stage (as per the description)

Notice that the piece on the left i was talking about has been removed in this picture.

With Lables;

24mvvwh.jpg

Without Lables;

2u7bs5c.jpg

After all that i installed it in the car, then measured up a front piece and screwed that on. I then bought some marine carpet (more expensive than everything else put together!!) i then covered the whole unit in carpet and screwed the trap door in place!

Heres the finished product:

2mpar02.jpg

Notice how it fits around the sub:

2mfly7l.jpg

Photos with the trap door open:

2wq5ysm.jpg

svqpso.jpg

NOTE: The front support beam (horizontal) that is not visible under the top board also doubles up as a resting place for when the trap door is down, the tight material fit on the trap door stops it from banging around whilst 4x4ing.

If you experience a banging or tapping noise, try placing a thin layer of material over the bottom of your trapdoor, this will provide cushioning for when it bounces up and down.

On a different point, the good part about it being wood is that if you wish to add things like inverters or 12V sockets to the box its a simple case of cutting and screwing.

I hope everything is explained well enough for you here!

if you want any further information or photos/videos of application please post below and i will get back to you ASAP!

Also i would appreciate any thoughts on the project!

Edited by Terrano757

nice job great idea but it would be a pita to put something big back there but on the aside note thieves wouldn't be as curious if it were inside that compartment as opposed to having those cargo covers that roll out or covering your stuff with a blanket or tarp

Looks great. But won't it be a pain if you have to put something big back there?

Depends on how big really, most of the space is still available, its just the depth that changes (for me personally because i used to have the sub/speakers where they were only lower) and personally if anythings to big to fit in there i just put it in my rhino basket on the roof :)

That came out really nice :aok: Looks professional too! I'm sure you would know by now if you need to carry anything bigger than will fit in there. It fits your needs.

Also do you always work with power tools and bare feet :blink:

James

That came out really nice :aok: Looks professional too! I'm sure you would know by now if you need to carry anything bigger than will fit in there. It fits your needs.

James

Count the toes....should give you a good estimate!

James

haha thats not me, thats dad :)

i was the one holding the camera (and wearing shoes!!)

as i am the one who does the work hahah :crossedwires:

my feet are.... younger.

Edited by Terrano757

Looks good. Hope that little hatch works out well. Did you consider a larger one or even making the back end flip or or even making it a drawer that pulls out? I remember someone building one with a drawer for tools and such a while back, don't remember who it was though... Either way, nice work!beer.gif

Looks good. Hope that little hatch works out well. Did you consider a larger one or even making the back end flip or or even making it a drawer that pulls out? I remember someone building one with a drawer for tools and such a while back, don't remember who it was though... Either way, nice work!beer.gif

The internal space is only as big as the inside of the wheel arches,

so not much bigger is possible :(

although i quite like the size, and haven't come across anything i haven't been able fit in (yet)

Also drawers would not have been accessible from the rear window which i wanted.

:itsallgood:

The internal space is only as big as the inside of the wheel arches,

so not much bigger is possible :(

although i quite like the size, and haven't come across anything i haven't been able fit in (yet)

Also drawers would not have been accessible from the rear window which i wanted.

:itsallgood:

I carry a lot of things in mine that wouldn't fit with a setup like that. It's all about what works for you though :aok: .

I like it. I was going to try and do something similar to my own eventually, but as stated by others with a drawer system and I'm going to see if I can make it so its easily removable for those times when big loads are needed. But I like your top down version. I think you did a great job on it. Nice work.