2001 pathfinder stuck in 4x4

4wheeling

So my 2001 pathfinder is stuck in 4x4, it goes into awd 4wd and 4low just fine.

It will not engauge into 2x4 for some reason, selection button flashes

anyone ever herd of this or had it happen??

its automatic 4x4........

Yes i have tryed this. I have read the full owners manual. I have put it in reverse and drive backwords several feet still dosent go into 2 wheel drive.

The 4x4 switch inside the cab seems to be beeping as it trys to engauge.

Edited by 4wheeling

driving backwards I don't think will do much, an 01 with Automode has a wet clutch tcase system instead of auto hubs as I understand it.

You said it goes into Auto ok? The selector switch creates a beep as normal, but the indicator on the instrument cluster is flashing? Weird, haven't had that happen. Hopefully someone else will chime in....

Edited by BowTied

I decided to look in the FSM:

1 CHECK 4WD SHIFT INDICATOR LAMP

1. Set 4WD shift switch to “2WD” position.

2. Move vehicle forward and backward. Or drive straight increasing or decreasing speed under 20 km/h (12 MPH).

3. Does 4WD shift indicator lamp keep flickering?

Yes or No

Yes © GO TO 2.

No © INSPECTION END

2 CHECK TIGHT CORNER BRAKING SYMPTOM

Drive vehicle at speed under 20 km/h (12 MPH), turning steering wheel to the limit. Does tight corner braking symptom

occur?

Yes or No

Yes © GO TO 3.

No © GO TO 4.

3 CHECK 4WD SHIFT INDICATOR LAMP

Does the 4WD shift indicator lamp keep flickering when the front wheels are jacked up?

Yes or No

Yes © Check transfer unit operating system.

No © Check tires.

4 CHECK 4WD WARNING LAMP

Does 4WD warning lamp flicker? (4WD shift indicator lamp is turned OFF.)

Yes or No

Yes © Perform self-diagnoses. Refer to "Trouble Diagnosis without CONSULT-II", TF-59.

No © GO TO 5.

5 CHECK 4WD SHIFT INDICATOR LAMP

Does 4WD shift indicator lamp keep flickering?

Yes or No

Yes © Check again.

No © INSPECTION END

Of course this is just a small clip from the section, you might be best to d/l the FSM and read this section first.

Edited by BowTied

it happened to me last season... when is the last time you changed your transfer case oil ? for me , it was that. After many trips in high water, I had neglected to change the oil and this symptom started to occur... Now after every 2-3 trails where I went deeper in water than the diffs, I change the oil... no problem since..

Edited by fleurys

I have changed the oil still same problem, trans oil and front dif oils.

I did download the fsm offline looks very complex. Is there a scantool I can use to pull codes from the TCM or dose it have its own onboard dia system?

I've had several issues with my t-case over the past 7 years.

1 - Previous owner ran it for 3 years continuously in AutoMode/AWD (just a piece of info, not sure if it had anything to do with my problem). About 7 years ago...the first time I put it in 4Lo the indicator light flashed and returned to 2WD. Had to replace a "sensor" of sorts from within the t-case.

2 - About 3 years ago I started having problems with the center diff releasing after switching out of 4Lo. I did exactly what others/owner's manual have said, forward/reverse, wheel to full lock both directions, accelerate up to 15/20 mph...one of those has always worked for me over the past couple years.

3 - When temps go below -30F and I turn my truck off while AutoMode (AWD) is still engaged and let it sit for about 8 hours (at work), I find that when I restart the engine, the center diff indicates it's locked. After several different attempts, I found I had to place the truck in Neutral, switch the indicator all the way to 4Lo and then back through to 2WD before it would disengage the center diff.

It's about time for me to replace fluids again (which might totally help), but in my case (pun intended) I'm not sold that fluid is the only thing causing problems 2 and 3.

Sorry if this doesn't help, I just like as much info from rigs in one section as possible...

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Did you ever find a solution? My 1997 randomly chooses what mode it will be in when I turn it on and I haven't found a solution. Mechanic thinks it's the switch but I haven't been able to find a replacement switch online.