Piaa 1500 Back-Up Lights Installed

I finished another project today.....I installed my PIAA 1500 Back-Up lights. I mounted them on my Yakima Load Warrior Basket.

f87dee4d.jpg

I used 3/4" Galvanized Split Ring Hangers to do the job which I got from my local Home Depot.

c089402f.jpg

I ran the wires with 3/8" Black Split Flex Tube all the way to the battery. I got new Battery Terminals which allow for more accessory wiring.....Winch & Lights. Got them off eBay.

05207db5.jpg

Each light has a ground wire which I used the hexbolt for each hatch strut.

ba690f2b.jpg

I mounted the switch next to the cigarette lighter in the cab.

283d31dd.jpg

Up and running!

2bf74b1e.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I used the factory wiring harness.... Relay is mounted on the side wall near the battery. The fuse is that white wire hanging in the air in that battery shot. I still need to tie up some loose ends to clean that up, but it's so damn cold outside. I couldn't take it anymore. 17•F. I just bought 2 new BFG MUD KM2's less than a month ago! $$$$$$$$$ Over $450 Mount and Balance

Out of curiosity, are those battery terminals fake chrome plating over plastic?

A buddy of mine's battery died with terminals just like those, and we couldn't jump it for the life of us, because there was no way to get a clear contact point without disconnecting everything and holding the wires to the terminal (not exactly SAFE)

Just a thought :) Lights look good!

Out of curiosity, are those battery terminals fake chrome plating over plastic?

I'm not sure, the brand name is Raptor. Platinum Look Finish, 24k gold plated hardware. The weight of these were REALLY HEAVY. I dont think its plastic? I don't know? Here's a pic.....

5f64cc8e.jpg

Just curious; why didn't you wire it so that the lights come on with the factory back-up lights while in reverse?

Looks good though!

Because I don't know how! The PIAA switch has that option....up is on, middle is off and down is on when in reverse. HOW DO YOU DO THAT? ANY HELP?

I'm really not sure. Maybe tapping into one of the power wires to the reverse lights to trigger the PIAAs somehow. Again, I don't really know, but I would think it would be possible somehow.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

I'm thinking you just tap the [white with red dots] wire coming from the switch (trigger) into one of the power wires going to a reverse light. Don't take my word for it though.

Edited by TooQForYou

I _think_ you would need one of those relays that has two triggers. basically tap into one of the brake light 12v+ wires to a trigger on the relay. and then the other trigger would be for the manual on position of the switch.

Not sure if they have 2 trigger relays but the wire marked "white wire with red dots" say's to connect it to the positive of the reverse lights, see step #6 in the instructions, so when you shift the truck into reverse it sends power thru the switch turning the relay on sending power to the lights,

when the switch is in the other "on" position,

The only thing I can think of if you look closely at the diagram, it appears the wire coming from the fuse and going to the relay is in the same position as one of the wires going to the switch, you can verify this by unplugging the relay and seeing if 2 wires are going into the same terminal. If that is how it is wired than when the switch is in the 2nd "on" position (when not in reverse), 12 volt power would be coming from the relay to the switch so when you flip the switch to the 2nd "on" it sends power to the relay turning the lights on. Sorry if confusing but that's all I can think of without seeing the actual wiring.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 1 month later...

I finished another project today.....I installed my PIAA 1500 Back-Up lights. I mounted them on my Yakima Load Warrior Basket.

How did you run the wiring to the engine bay from the roof?

Edited by porsche4786

If you wire them into the reverse lights there is no turning them on when people are tailgating you :thumbsdown: Its a very effective deterrent.

The PIAA Light switch actually has two ON Positions......On#1 is an on and lit.....On#2 is on when you're in Reverse...... Haven't had time to set up number 2 option yet but will eventually!

How did you run the wiring to the engine bay from the roof?

I used the PIAA WIRING HARNESS that came with the lights.....under the basket and down the Driverside A Pillar under the Weatherstrip and into the engine bay.

Looks nice... I was wondering how you mounted the CB microphone holder to your dash. I want to do the same but i cant really drill into the wood grain...

You can't or you won't???? It's just plastic.....I used the holder that came with the CB.