Automatic Transmission Inline Filter Kits

Precise1

I have installed a simple inline ATF filter on the output line of the tranny on the way the the cooler, along with a temperature sensor but we'll get to that.

The Derale product is virtually the same as the oil filter relocation kits so many of us use. It can be found at Summit Racing, $47 for the basic kit, $89 for the deluxe kit with temp gauge and $20 for the filter.
I have found the same kit for $41, $87 and $14 for the filter here...
http://polyperformance.com/shop/shop/Automatic-Transmission-Filter-Kits-p-17247.html
and the filter its self for $13 here...
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Chevy-GMC-Truck-Transmission-Components

See how shipping costs apply to you before ordering!!

My point here is that it is cheap to buy, easy to install and will help keep your ATF and tranny clean, not to mention allow you to monitor temperature if you choose so. I consider it cheap insurance and especially recommend it to those of you who insist on using the stock radiator cooler to protect against clogging.

I'm about to replace mine for the first time (about 5000 miles) when I change the ATF and plan to cut it open to see what it has collected.

B

Updated information!!
http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29350&view=findpost&p=574628

Edited by Precise1

I suspect that it is like adding a filter to any other unfiltered system, the first filter is going to have the shortest life, but after that the change intervals should be considerable. Also, your filter looked much larger and probably has significantly more surface area/filtering capacity than the little spin-ons I use.

B

Hi, I've been wondering about automatic transmission filters.

My truck has had (somewhat) regular trans fluid changes and I added an external cooler, gauge and bypassed the stock cooler.

I have a '94.5 SE and when I was buying the fluid for a change, I asked my local dealer if they had tranny filter kit since I was changing the fluid. He told me that on my truck it didn't need to be changed, and there was no filter kit. Is this true? Because I've seen them online and have read a write-up about it, but maybe that was for a different year from mine?

If I added an inline filter (like B is doing) shouldn't I first change the one (if there is one) inside the tranny first?

Hi, I've been wondering about automatic transmission filters.

My truck has had (somewhat) regular trans fluid changes and I added an external cooler, gauge and bypassed the stock cooler.

I have a '94.5 SE and when I was buying the fluid for a change, I asked my local dealer if they had tranny filter kit since I was changing the fluid. He told me that on my truck it didn't need to be changed, and there was no filter kit. Is this true? Because I've seen them online and have read a write-up about it, but maybe that was for a different year from mine?

If I added an inline filter (like B is doing) shouldn't I first change the one (if there is one) inside the tranny first?

Before you get to hasty in agreeing with the angry young Canadian, I think I know what the dealer guy meant. I understand that they are basically just a screen, not a true filter and that being the case, don't need to be changed. Did you specify you meant an inline or after market ATF filter kit??

Regardless, the factory unit is ineffective if the stock tranny cooler is prone to clogging so something else needs to be done IMO.

I have had it installed for a while now, the thread is pinned in the garage.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24503

B

Yeah, I get your point. I said to the dealer guy "filter" , so I understand now what he was thinking. Ok, I'm sorry I thought he was an idiot for the last few hours. IMHO, now I think he's a genius (if that helps :puterpunch: )

So Precise, do you think that the "screen" should be changed out or should I just do an inline aftermarket filter like your write-up? I don't have any problems with my transmission (other than a hard shift into 2nd when cold) and I only have 115,000 miles on 'er with 3 trans-fluid changes. That said, my SE was lightly used in the past, but I have no intention with keeping on in that tradition!

Man I wish I saw this sooner.

I just orderd mw a 26,000LB flex a lite tube and fin cooler with fan for $180

But PolyP. Offers a 25,000 Derale stacked plate model with fan for $145

I am by far not an expert on automatic trannies, this being the first I have had in 20 years and the second ever. I am going by other people's experiences here and extrapolating...

Unless the screen (as I understand it) is significantly blocked, there seems little reason to replace it but how does one tell?? Taking it out and looking, but if you do that you may as well just change it... :shrug:

My theory is that if enough strands/particulate gets past the screen to clog the cooler, then an inline filter is warranted; it can only help. To me it is a cheap $50 insurance just like the tranny cooler.

Let me say though, if you wait until you have tranny problems then installing a filter probably won't help, this is all about PM. ;)

B

• 3 months later...

Ok, a little bit of an update. I found some better sources for a basic tranny filter set up.

This place sells the Champion Labs PH254 filter (what Derale rebadges for $17!!) for $4.89 + shipping.

http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/08170/icn/20-079756/champion_lab/ph253.htm

Also, the Champion Labs filter is cross referenced with AC Delco PF13 and CarQuest 85085. (Thanks Nunya)

I plan to disect these filters to see if there is any significant difference.

Here is the Trans-dapt filter mount for $13.99 + shipping

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/1028/10002/-1?parentProductId=749339

Throw in a couple of barbed line fittings and some hose and you are all set for no particulate in your tranny fluid. :aok:

B

• 2 months later...

I found a very interesting and informative post over on Bob Is The Oil Guy regarding spin-on transmission filter change intervals. Read it here. Basically, the average transmission does not generate a significant amount of wear material, especially after break-in, and even with no fluid change since new a filter could last up to 520,000 miles without entering constant bypass due to full capacity (assuming 13 gram contaminant capacity filter).

I also think one or several hard drive magnets on the exterior of a spin-on filter would be beneficial to trap any ferrous wear material which the filter's media may not trap due to the size of the particles.

I've currently got a Magnefine in-line transmission filter which combines traditional filtering media with a magnet. Perhaps I will look into a spin-on filter set up in 30k (which is Magnefine's recommended filter change interval - but after reading the aforementioned post on BITOG, I'm pretty sure it can handle 60k without an issue, but then again I do not know the capacity of the filtering media).

Edited by Towncivilian

Please do!

Wouldn't a 3 micron filter flow rather poorly? What's the filter model and its beta ratio?

Here is the model

http://www.hydrafil.com/fleetguard-hf6500-p-6811.html

This might tell you what the ratio is

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT32599_10.pdf

I have noticed a big increase in the shifts, 2-3 used to go slow then slam in at anything higher than 3k rpm but now it is smooth and predictable.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...