What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Hah. This was my fan when I cleaned it about a year and a half ago; it's never been cleaned prior.

I think at some point they added screens under the hood cowl covers to keep out leaves and other debris. I added my own made out of window screen a while ago, but was still getting a bunch of leaves coming out of the vents. I guess I found the reason! Blower seems to run better now too, and presumably I doubled my airflow or something.

Yeah, resistors were clean. Actually. I took the whole thing apart, pulled a bunch of junk out of the ducting in the centre of the dash area (where most of the control flaps are located).

Today I bought an Inconel 718 rod to machine exhaust manifold studs and nuts out of.

Today I bought an Inconel 718 rod to machine exhaust manifold studs and nuts out of.

Good luck with that! I curse every time I hear that material mentioned! Inconel is very abrasive but I don't know if it will be hard enough for exhaust studs. It transfers heat really well though and work hardens in a hurry! If you ever break one in the head you'll never get it out. How are you planing to thread it? If your planning on taps and dies you going to run out of taps and dies!

James

Good luck with that! I curse every time I hear that material mentioned! Inconel is very abrasive but I don't know if it will be hard enough for exhaust studs. It transfers heat really well though and work hardens in a hurry! If you ever break one in the head you'll never get it out. How are you planing to thread it? If your planning on taps and dies you going to run out of taps and dies!

James

Hehe, yeah, we'll see how it goes! It is used in some high end oem exhaust manifold studs, and it should be well suited to the high temperatures. Planning to thread on the lathe (threading insert). Tapping the nuts could be interesting, yeah, at least there are only 12. Hopefully I don't need 12 taps :)

Hehe, yeah, we'll see how it goes! It is used in some high end oem exhaust manifold studs, and it should be well suited to the high temperatures. Planning to thread on the lathe (threading insert). Tapping the nuts could be interesting, yeah, at least there are only 12. Hopefully I don't need 12 taps :)

You should be good just using regular nuts on the studs, or stainless if you don't want them to rust and know you won't have any dissimilar metal problems. When we build a tool out of inconel every part is made from it but it's mostly for it's corrosion resistant properties. I've used taps before in 718 and it usually takes three to get a decent thread in one hole. This was a communication port also so it only had .330 deep thread. Any other thread I've ever made in inconel was with a thread mill hob.

James

You should be good just using regular nuts on the studs, or stainless if you don't want them to rust and know you won't have any dissimilar metal problems. When we build a tool out of inconel every part is made from it but it's mostly for it's corrosion resistant properties. I've used taps before in 718 and it usually takes three to get a decent thread in one hole. This was a communication port also so it only had .330 deep thread. Any other thread I've ever made in inconel was with a thread mill hob.

James

Yeah, I'll play around with a good tap (this one) and see what happens. No CNC so thread milling isn't really practical unfortunately.

Put on a gibson cat back. Did anyone else know gibson still makes cat back setups for our trucks? There system only fits 93 to 95 WDs but the difference is the cat is shorter from 90 to 95 so I just used a cat for a 94 and everything fit on my 87.

James

Edited by JamesRich

Took my beast out to pippydinny today and flogged the crap out of it all over the sand dunes with the odd rocky climb.

Handled it so well i have a little bit more respect for Nissan now.

Today used the PF to pick up our full sized 3/4" thick plywood coffin from storage, brought all the Halloween decorations home so my wife can start setting up. Felt bad for my brother in law, had to have him sit next to the coffin as it took up the whole rear section up to the past the pass. seat. He's ok he's small, lol

Back to driving the PF to work as the sentra is down until I can get a new heater hose.

Replaced the worn out Orielly Master pro lower ball joints with some Moogs. The master pros only had 2 years and around 6k miles but get dunked in mud and water a lot! Hopefully these moogs last longer. They were a lot more expensive but life time warranty!

James

Took a screwdriver to my valve covers. The cover on the passenger side was leaking (very little) and I was told that either the gasket needed to be replaced, or that the screws were a little loose. Went and gave it a look, and got 1 full easy turn out of the screws, plus about another 1/2 to 3/4 turn on them. Cleaned most of the leaking spots to see if it'll leak again next time I make a long trip.

Found a bunch of neon yellow oil slinging off the A/C pulley... my uncle says the O-rings in the compressor are probably shot. Anybody swapped these out?

Also put a pack of gum inside... and left it parked in the sun... and now the whole thing smells like Juicy Fruit. Oh well, at least it doesn't smell like kerosene anymore!

We finally installed the Maxima fans it was an easy install with just a couple of mods, and I like the way they cover the rad, aIso plenty of room. The 4 bladed fan is 2 speed, low speed I'll hook it up with temp sensor the high speed wil hook up with the the other fan to a manual switch.

It should give better cooling then the Taurus

Opps the pics loaded backwards PICT0057.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

We finally installed the Maxima fans it was an easy install with just a couple of mods, and I like the way they cover the rad, aIso plenty of room. The 4 bladed fan is 2 speed, low speed I'll hook it up with temp sensor the high speed wil hook up with the the other fan to a manual switch.

It should give better cooling then the Taurus

Opps the pics loaded backwards PICT0057.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

That shroud looks like it fits the radiator almost perfect. I have a quest fan I bought but don't like the way it fits the radiator.

James

yeah even a couple of the mount holes lined up, it is quite a bit heavier then the Taurus fan, but I'll take the weight for the better cooling I think it will give.

I haven't checked the amperage for the different speeds but I will and post them for anyone that's interested

Edited by vagabond
  • Like 1