What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Got a new bolt in, picked one up from napa and put it in myself since apparently shops wont fo ig around Anchorage. Got it aligned and it still pulls driver which pisses me off at 130$ to align one single &^%*ing tire. Didnt have a choice though so what can you do. Back in canada now dreaming about getting my dana 44 under this truck finally and throwing another grand at all the special crap to do alignments on my own. Tired of shops that screw me over and dont even do @!*% correctly or like last time where I have to tell them how to do their job.

• Like 1

468db4d0c8eb5bf5d6f5646edfcf33bf.jpg9274340ab32c415a0f360aca98a91b10.jpg
5aa35992cf54b6d24b6001b896d72ee2.jpg
The beginnings of an extensive electrical project under the tutelage of Mr. Electric (@ferrariowner123). First step, “new” Pioneer AVH-X391BHS radio with USB port, line in, microphone, BlueTooth, and 2 camera ports (ultimately reverse & undercarriage cameras). We also addressed dash cam wiring, LED turn signal relay & removal of my old CB, it’s cable, and my old front auxiliary light wiring, as well as making room for a rear power panel. Special thanks to@ferrariowner123 without whom this would have been infinitely more difficult & who went the extra step of taking the new radio wiring & crafting a custom harness! Also, to my annoyance - as of March 2019, WAZE withdrew App support from Pioneer - REALLY annoying.

• Like 6

468db4d0c8eb5bf5d6f5646edfcf33bf.jpg9274340ab32c415a0f360aca98a91b10.jpg
5aa35992cf54b6d24b6001b896d72ee2.jpg
The beginnings of an extensive electrical project under the tutelage of Mr. Electric (@ferrariowner123). First step, “new” Pioneer AVH-X391BHS radio with USB port, line in, microphone, BlueTooth, and 2 camera ports (ultimately reverse & undercarriage cameras). We also addressed dash cam wiring, LED turn signal relay & removal of my old CB, it’s cable, and my old front auxiliary light wiring, as well as making room for a rear power panel. Special thanks to[mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention] without whom this would have been infinitely more difficult & who went the extra step of taking the new radio wiring & crafting a custom harness! Also, to my annoyance - as of March 2019, WAZE withdrew App support from Pioneer - REALLY annoying.

Been there, done that. It is a pain to get all the wires in place for the front and rear cameras. The microphone wire was also not very easy to install. The side curtain airbags really make it tedious work. My next project for this weekend will be dash cam install: blackvue dr900-2ch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there, done that. It is a pain to get all the wires in place for the front and rear cameras. The microphone wire was also not very easy to install. The side curtain airbags really make it tedious work. My next project for this weekend will be dash cam install: blackvue dr900-2ch

Yeah, I still have to select my cameras. Wasn’t sure about the rear since I don’t have my swingate in yet. I sure would have liked it while up in the Cascades last week though. Also the undercarriage since my spotter is often 7 years old.

I don’t think the side curtain airbags came until ‘03. You can see in my A-pillar shot that there’s nothing there but the tweeter.

We put the dash cam wiring in but I had grabbed the wiring harness for my other dash cam I haven’t installed & it was a mini USB plug whereas the Pathy’s Cam needs a micro - Argh!

Also, my roof console now rattles at 55-70mph so I’ll need to look at tightening it all up again & see if I can make it go away.

2 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Yeah, I still have to select my cameras. Wasn’t sure about the rear since I don’t have my swingate in yet. I sure would have liked it while up in the Cascades last week though. Also the undercarriage since my spotter is often 7 years old.

I don’t think the side curtain airbags came until ‘03. You can see in my A-pillar shot that there’s nothing there but the tweeter.

We put the dash cam wiring in but I had grabbed the wiring harness for my other dash cam I haven’t installed & it was a mini USB plug whereas the Pathy’s Cam needs a micro - Argh!

Also, my roof console now rattles at 55-70mph so I’ll need to look at tightening it all up again & see if I can make it go away.

Hopefully none of those clips broke. That top console can be tricky to get off. I know there is just one screw holding it secure and the rest are metal clips.

Sucks about the wire. Do you have to tear everything apart to switch it out?

One thing I recommend is choosing a rear camera without the fixed guidelines. The headunit can superimpose those on the image and can also be adjusted. I guess mirroring the image is also possible on HU. Where do you plan on putting the front camera? I put mine where the front plate should go so it only shows immediately in front where I cannot see over hood.

Edited by R50JR

I may do an undercarriage camera that points forward underneath. I’ve seen it done over a decade ago. It can help you with tricky tire placement or obstacle avoidance. A trick for those who go out remote & solo. You can even use it at night with proper rock light placement. I haven’t seen it recently, which seems kind of weird given the proliferation of cheap lights & cameras, but it was a thing back in the day.

• Like 2

Finally put in that fuel pump kill switch after weeks of procrastinating. Kill switch was sucessfully installed, however in the proccess I broke the overhead sunlgass compartment where I decided to put the switch. The hinge pins completely snapped off of the compartment door, and I can't quite figure out how to glue the peices back together whilst it's in position. Anybody know if there's any way to remove that whole overhead panel?

11 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I may do an undercarriage camera that points forward underneath. I’ve seen it done over a decade ago. It can help you with tricky tire placement or obstacle avoidance. A trick for those who go out remote & solo. You can even use it at night with proper rock light placement. I haven’t seen it recently, which seems kind of weird given the proliferation of cheap lights & cameras, but it was a thing back in the day.

The Japanese version of my Subaru came with a front camera that mounts in the grill below the emblem, for a lower car I thought that's a nice feature. On the PF I agree it would be a fun modification to do in addition to a back-up camera. Only thing I can think of is that it could get pretty dirty pretty quick up front!

By underneath, I mean back by the rear diff or even hitch, actually underneath the truck.
  • Like 1

By underneath, I mean back by the rear diff or even hitch, actually underneath the truck.

that’s genius and i also don’t know why more people don’t do that withhow cheap electronics are today

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying. That does sound quite useful and gives a different perspective. Are you concerned the quality of the cameras isn’t very good to make out details?

Thanks for clarifying. That does sound quite useful and gives a different perspective. Are you concerned the quality of the cameras isn’t very good to make out details?

My buddy has a '18 Ford Raptor and it has 4 undercarriage cameras (front, sides and rear) and the quality of those is decent and gives you a rough idea on what obstacles are in your way. You can also tie in all of those cameras and it gives you a "360°" view when parking to show how close you are to other cars and such.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It worked okay in the early 2000s so I can’t imagine it isn’t better now. I would like “universal” wiring as I expect it might occasionally get taken out - though not particularly likely given my deliberate driving (especially as I’m usually solo).

My buddy has a '18 Ford Raptor and it has 4 undercarriage cameras (front, sides and rear) and the quality of those is decent and gives you a rough idea on what obstacles are in your way. You can also tie in all of those cameras and it gives you a "360°" view when parking to show how close you are to other cars and such.

Interesting to know - I have been a little surprised I haven’t seen it. I personally saw it on a few Jeeps back in the early 2000s.

7833d9b8fc11a2fca723763371eac556.jpgb88bf6c09ed53e81ff5e7eb8cf4560c2.jpg

4f4175d1b1f1f2d9b06a04cb984442c1.jpg

dbb7d2c5307c50240c22b63f16ab0605.jpg

More electrical hijinks as I played with the idea of getting these awesome T4R cabin lights to work in our dome lights (with expert consultation with[mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention]). Not sure it’s going to work. I’ve used incandescent red, LED red & even IR controlled RGB LEDs but nothing comes close to these lights - a nice bright white & manually switchable to a red that is also bright. Part of my never-ending quest to repurpose Toyota & Jeep aftermarket parts. (BTW, I used the “small” pic posting - I don’t know why they’re so huge).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

We were on a family trip and suddenly alternator symbolon the dash lighted….the bracket that support the pulley of the fan had separated on two pieces:  the body was still connected to the motor and the axle with the fanclutch with the cooling fan were hanging down.

Afer we get towed to the destination, I removed the remaining bracket from the motor and delete that pulley. I had to cut one end of the bracket to use it as a spacer to the steering pump mount (the pump mounts over the bracket). With this setup I used a shorter belt to drive the truck back to the city (+-150Km).

What impressed me was that the truck has not overheated (ext temp around 25°C), driving 2k rpm max and with full hot air on the inside…. Or maybe the temp gauge is bad??

Well, I have installed a new bracket (nissan p/n 21046-4W000) + new fan clutch (NPW # N-94F)… at the moment I found the fan clutch much louder than the original one with 275.000Km.

• 3 weeks later...
Where did you get the bumper guard? Nice!

It’s served me well. In addition to the obvious, it also keeps your feet planted when standing on the bumper. It’s from a company called WAAG industries in CA. I bought it and a similar front runner 17 years ago. That company now only makes airplane parts. (Wheeled Aircraft Access Gear Part#16702)