What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Finished bleeding the breaks after replacing front calipers, 3rd times a charm. I think I just had to slowly work all the air out, but now they're working good as new! LSV was a bit of a pain to reach, but not the hardest thing I've ever done.

• Like 2

Got all excited about putting the Legos back on with new tires, until one of the wheel weights fell off in my hand. Turns out the rest are loose. Near as I can tell, the halfwit at Les Schwab grabbed the wrong weights, got them kinda sorta on there, and somehow thought that was acceptable.

Got all excited about putting the Legos back on with new tires, until one of the wheel weights fell off in my hand. Turns out the rest are loose. Near as I can tell, the halfwit at Les Schwab grabbed the wrong weights, got them kinda sorta on there, and somehow thought that was acceptable.

While I’m a NW booster for sure & use Les Schwab - their management is great, the work force less so. I police everything I have them do for me as it’s not done right 50% of the time. That said, I tell the manager, he looks frustrated (not at me), confirms what I said is true, apologizes, has them do the job right, checks it himself, apologizes again & comps all the labor or something else significant. It’s a pain but on one occasion I had Tire Rack tires mounted, balanced, etc. for $0. Also, pull your valve caps if you want to keep them. I appreciate the free flat repairs & double check any repairs done for me anyways.

Went to the pull a part.Found OE fog lights. Pulled a trans cooler off an explorer(although not sure of the size/rating).However it's measured. Also an original tool kit.Ran out of daylight but I'll install  the lights and cooler tomorrow.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

While I’m a NW booster for sure & use Les Schwab - their management is great, the work force less so. I police everything I have them do for me as it’s not done right 50% of the time. That said, I tell the manager, he looks frustrated (not at me), confirms what I said is true, apologizes, has them do the job right, checks it himself, apologizes again & comps all the labor or something else significant. It’s a pain but on one occasion I had Tire Rack tires mounted, balanced, etc. for $0. Also, pull your valve caps if you want to keep them. I appreciate the free flat repairs & double check any repairs done for me anyways.

Yeah, I learned about the valve caps the last time I had a set in. They took the nice metal caps, but these went in with crappy mouse-chewed blue plastic ones and would you believe they were still there when I got them back. Guess the tech didn't want those ones.

Got the wheels back today after try #2. Still not right. They remembered to do the valve stems this time, and they got the weights tight on two of the wheels, but they still screwed up the other two. One weight's just a little loose, the other I'm sure I could remove with my fingers. I'm done with those idiots. I'm taking the tires to a different shop.

If the work going out the door is consistently garbage, the management is garbage, too.

• Like 1

Haven't been doing the picture taking I had planned on in the process of getting my poor old 93 back to drivable on public roads condition. The last 3.5 years of sitting out in the back yard has done nothing good to my truck. 

So far I have replaced 3 ball joints (tomorrow gets the left lower and questionable right upper replaced along with the tierods), idler arm mount and bushings (I have the steering upgrade), replaced rear shocks with a pair of Bilsteins from a Titan pro4x. Replaced the damaged headlights with some I had found a few years ago in a salvage yard. Replaced the headlight bulbs with a set of LED bulbs and decided I didn't need to build a headlight harness after all, those lights are white and bright. Seem to have a good pattern also. Took the old Hella 500's off and put a 20" 3 row LED light bar on in their place. Cleaned out the wiring mess of the last 20 years and got most of it cleaned up and sorted out. Have a bit more to do there, but am burned out on the wiring  for now. Going to take a break from that for a few days and get other stuff done. 

Removed the ignition lock assembly and installed a cheap push button starting system a friend gave me. It is working better than I expected, and in that process, cleaned out a lot of added wiring and the remote start security system I put in about 15 years ago that was a bit temperamental. Finally decided to take a shot at swapping the HVAC control head and stereo  locations. That project was a miserable bugger that is still needing some tweaks. However, I do like having the stereo up just under the center vents much better. Did LED bulbs swapped into the map lights, after 26 years the bulbs finally died. Did a LED panel upgrade in the center dome light that is very bright. My cargo bay light has rotted to dust(so much for the idea that plastic lasts for a thousand years bs) and finally found one that is just a little bigger but will fit in its place. Have to Fab a mounting plate for it. Added 4 high current USB charging ports and a 12V outlet to the center console. Replaced the in-track vent visors that never worked right with a set of Wade low profile visors I found on Amazon for $18. Figured at that price, I couldn't loose. 

Things still on the short list to get done is replace the broken muffler, get it cleaned up, get the replacement foglights and turn signals in, replace the tires when I can find an extra $1k for those, replace all 10 rear suspension bushings (again, sigh). And finish the wiring. Hopefully in another couple weeks, I will get the registration renewed and be able to drive it legally again. 

All fun and games in my limited spare time and as I manage to squeeze out a little extra money for the repairs and upgrades. Also need to find a practical way to post what few pictures I have taken in this project. Nothing has gone simple or easy. I managed to bend the new right upper balljoint and suspect the other new one I replaced it with is starting to bend as well. Never saw one bend like this before and didn't think it was possible, but I did it somehow. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2019 at 8:33 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Man, I bought 5 new bfg KO2 for my truck last summer. And the same &^%*ing thing happened. They used the wrong weights and then when I brought the truck back because it shook like hell, they tried telling me they don't have the proper weights for those wheels anymore. The second time they got them on tight but they did not sit flush with the lip of the wheel and looked like @!*%. I took it to a Mr. Lube, of all places, and the guy used stick on weights, can't see them at all and it drives smooth at all speeds. These were 33x10.5 fwiw.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

Well, my dad talked to corporate, corporate talked to the shop, and the guy at the shop had me clean out the inside of the rims so he could try the stick-ons this time. They're stuck on now, so hopefully that's the end of this.

I'd done some research into wheel weights and wondered if I'd hear the same thing Adam did, so I asked him what type of weights he'd used before. He seemed kind of confused and showed me the tray of weights and held one up. I asked if they were FNs or IAWs or what and he said something about how stuff got weird after they quit using lead. He didn't answer my question, but I guess he also kinda did. :doh:

Installed my Bosch fogs. I searched forever for the factory bull guard grill guard whatever you want to call it and could not find one for the QX4 AKA Regulus that the fog lights attach to. I know I could have gotten an after-market set up so I thought long and hard on whether or not to buy aftermarket or put them on top of the bumper in front of the grill which to me I think looks stupid. Or I could recess them back in the grill. Either way I was going to have to drill holes in my bumper so I decided to hack my grill all up. My cutting tool done me justice and I think they turned out great now all I got to do is wire them up. #r50obsessed #infinitinorthamerica #happycamperherea74726a6d6d0f908fe3e88cc6b1fa05b.jpge5a47ec16fa00e51870a3c1dc8d63faf.jpgc02b32afec1cbd33504608bf334be2b4.jpgfbc83660e844303265817c5fbfb3e125.jpgffce7805bf0535dafd2b65e94ab9ce82.jpge33538c50199c8b317737ba0f567743d.jpg27d073c306bfcc6dc10e2b9c849bcd02.jpga917a176335132979eeffd15c381f3f3.jpgb3e20d74298438da5021f61dd17f204b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I’d say that turned out nicely!

(I’m just not sure if you’ve got enough forward facing light on there ; )

I need 2 more. Lol i think im gonna get rid of the small light bar and put it on the Pathy hadn't made my mind up yet on that one.

I’d say that turned out nicely!
(I’m just not sure if you’ve got enough forward facing light on there ; )

I should know this and feel stupid for asking. With all the lights and wiring ive done i should know, but who can tell me if my 97 Q is negative switched or positive switched?

I need 2 more. Lol i think im gonna get rid of the small light bar and put it on the Pathy hadn't made my mind up yet on that one. 

I would keep the lower LED bar, it should actually throw better light than the roof bar due to no hood reflection. Keep the small LED bar for travel at speed & the rooftop bar for slow crawling or campsite selection.

You may find you don’t like the amber mixed with the white. I originally had amber fogs but replaced them with matching white as I found the color clash distracting while driving. That said, I was essentially always solo so I didn’t need them for dust or convoy lights. I’m putting some amber markers on this time for that purpose.

Cut the bumper insert and installedy jy fog light on the passenger side... (Dumb non ppe wearing me cut the crap outta my hand) Boys and girls..wear gloves!!.. Driver side tomorrow... Looks purdy if I do say so myself.PO had an alarm wired up with a switch mounted right under the little dash cubby hole to the left of steering wheel with red light mounted next to defrost switch on the dash...gonna hijack the wiring for my lights.Are trans coolers directional??Also...would replacing ripped boots after cleaning and re greasing my CV joints work??..I'd like to continue using them if possible...

Edited by Tn95rbn

14 minutes ago, Tn95rbn said:

Cut the bumper insert and installedy jy fog light on the passenger side... (Dumb non ppe wearing me cut the crap outta my hand) Boys and girls..wear gloves!!.. Driver side tomorrow... Looks purdy if I do say so myself.PO had an alarm wired up with a switch mounted right under the little dash cubby hole to the left of steering wheel with red light mounted next to defrost switch on the dash...gonna hijack the wiring for my lights.Are trans coolers directional??Also...would replacing ripped boots after cleaning and re greasing my CV joints work??..I'd like to continue using them if possible...

It would suck to replace the boots only to have your CV fail anyway, and common consensus is to just replace the the entire axle, which by the way, may take some time to fail. I've been on torn boots for about 5 or 6 months, seeing dust, dirt, snow, and mud, and 4WD still works fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PathyDude17 said:

It would suck to replace the boots only to have your CV fail anyway, and common consensus is to just replace the the entire axle, which by the way, may take some time to fail. I've been on torn boots for about 5 or 6 months, seeing dust, dirt, snow, and mud, and 4WD still works fine. 

Cut the bumper insert and installedy jy fog light on the passenger side... (Dumb non ppe wearing me cut the crap outta my hand) Boys and girls..wear gloves!!.. Driver side tomorrow... Looks purdy if I do say so myself.PO had an alarm wired up with a switch mounted right under the little dash cubby hole to the left of steering wheel with red light mounted next to defrost switch on the dash...gonna hijack the wiring for my lights.

I would keep the lower LED bar, it should actually throw better light than the roof bar due to no hood reflection. Keep the small LED bar for travel at speed & the rooftop bar for slow crawling or campsite selection.

You may find you don’t like the amber mixed with the white. I originally had amber fogs but replaced them with matching white as I found the color clash distracting while driving. That said, I was essentially always solo so I didn’t need them for dust or convoy lights. I’m putting some amber markers on this time for that purpose.
I more less got the fogs for looks not so much lighting up the trails. Of course you never know what one might do on a clear cool summer night. The clash is definitely noticable brother. I love the look of the light bar in the lower clip. Still not sure what im gonna do.23e3b60377117f62f2556391b0e01032.jpg

• Like 1